16' Series Identification of underside pipework and fittings after tyre explosion.

When do you change your tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Hi,

Just wondering if someone can post a pic of the right hand underside of there Jayco 16.49-3. We had an unfortunate incident on the way back from Margaret river and now need to rebuild the underside of the van.

The damaged was caused by an exploding tyre at 95km/hr see image below. I know that the 2 pvc pipes are just fed into the graywater out pipe. Not sure what the black pipe is for. I think it comes from the toilet cassette area so think it might also connect to the graywater waste point. The white cover I am hoping is just for covering the hole for access to the wires within. Anyone know where I can get a compatible wheel guard (spat) from? Jayco want $70 plus a wait time of 3 weeks. What I have learnt from this experience is that tyres need to be seriously scrutinized once they are 5yrs or older. These were 7 years date stamped 2008. Both have now been replaced with Maxxis vanpro.
P9300346c.jpg
P9300347c.jpg
PA020349c.jpg
PA020351c.jpg

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
thats a bit of damage, Did you pull up ok? everyone alright.
I was always told 5 years as caravans sit still for a while the walls play up.. Well what I was told by a few people when I looked secondhand if a 3-4 years old I knew I be up for new tyres soon.

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Yeh everyone ended up fine. Scared the !@#$ out of us. I think the key was to apply the brakes slowly otherwise may have been a different ending all together. We bought the van second hand not thinking about the tyres as they had plenty of tread. The tyre dealer where we changed the other tyre said its lucky the second had not have gone as well as it was delaminating. Lesson learnt. No one hurt couldn't have ask for a better outcome really.

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Insurance wont cover tyres so thought the $150 excess wasn't worth it. Probably $30 worth of pipe and spat $70 and sledgy to get back guard back into shape and no no claim bonus loss.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Looks like a lucky outcome @Doug ... Could have been worse!
Had a similar incident with an old boat trailer tyre a few years back. 100km/h on the Freeway coming back from Mandurah but luckily the tyre only de-laminated and we were running on the steel belt (No blowout!!).

Unfortunately the spare rim hadn't been checked and we ended up losing a wheel (Single axle :o ) but luckily at a slow speed and the wheel rolled between two lanes of cars stopped at lights and rolled through the intersection without hitting anything...... Parked on the side of the road for 2 hours in 44 degree heat changing hubs etc!!!!

Reactions: Doug

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Doug ... You might find a compatible "Spat" from HERE? Or maybe try somewhere like CAMEC?

As for the third pipe it is the one from the bath sink drain and gets "teed" into the rear outlet..... As in below pics!

Drain hose 001.JPG Drain hose 002.JPG

Reactions: Doug and davemc

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
Thanks for the pic David. Why do they have 2 separate out connections to waste that usually requires either 2 hoses or a manifold?

I notice you drive a petrol V6. What sort of fuel consumption do you get when towing the van? The trip we were just on used 23l/100km which is damn high I would think for a 16.49-3 however after the blowout we were getting 17l. When we got to site I did check the pressure as I thought that was the reason for the high fuel usage. The tyre was reading 65PSI which is where its supposed to be. Wondering if the tyre dynamics at speed were very poor due to the age of the tyre. Weird hey !!!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
You're welcome Doug.
As for the two outlets it's supposed to stop water backing up when draining.... Unfortunately the way it's setup we get water coming up the shower floor when draining the kitchen sink. I run two separate hoses where able to.

Strange in regard to the fuel difference with the tyres?????
The only time I checked consumption we averaged 16/100kms combination of towing/not towing so guessing it would be around 18 - 19 when towing.

Not in the habit of checking consumption as our previous vehicle was a V8 petrol cruiser and didn't really want to know o_O

Reactions: davemc