18' Series Ideas

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Hi @MartyJB welcome to the forum and also glad to welcome another obvious quality bloke because you drive a Disco!

I had that exact conversation with my trusted Jayco salesman today as I am a little sceptical about how well the ESC would actually work.
He assured me he has seen it in action and has actually tested it on a track and it does work, very well! He did say that with a tug like ours that it would be more beneficial with a full size van and one that is over 20ft.
We have the 18.58.1OB coming so I have decided against it, but it is obviously a personal decision and one that each individual should make for themselves.

Az

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome @MartyJB another Disco owner. Although we have a older D3. We got ESC although D3 does not have the trailer stability control.
I just thought $1k rather have it then not in a emergency every little bit counts.

Drifter compared to basic coaster.. Digital and a USB :) shows battery left etc. Really have a look at them see if you want it
We did not option TV or bracket. We got a cheap TV from DSE on sale 28" for $175 . Kogan have some that work 12v as well cheap.
No idea if any better then the Jayco one..

We have a single battery in car although fitted a Red Arc isolator so we not drain the battery.
Local Jayco place did not want to split the 12 pin plug.. So we removed one of the round ones from the back of Disco and fitted a 12pin there.
They ran heavier cable for the Fridge when they did the redarc.
Not sure if the D4 has the problem with LED lights on van flickering was told we run into it with a D3 so they added something inline on the car.
Used a different auto electrician for this as the first one said you put it on the van, Jayco guy said no in the D3 now.

Hope that helps.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and have just ordered an expanda myself - 16.49 - 4 OB.
A lot of my questions are answered in this topic but have a couple more;
What's the advantage of the drifter control panel over the basic one? Is it worth it?
What's the Jayco Supplied TV like?
Should I look at Harvey's for something better?
Might have to delve into some topics on electrics but trying to work out what I need here, was planning to fit dual batts to car and Anderson plug, is this the best way to go?
What about gas bayonet at back of van?
Still have 4 weeks to finalise accessories but currently have ordered;
Dual water tanks
Extra gas bottle
HWS and external shower
Wind up aerial
Picnic table
Basic control panel

I know there are a lot of advocates here for ESC, however my tug is Disco 4 and it has Trailer stability control, not sure I need an extra system?

Appreciate any advice/experience?
Thanks
Marty

We got Jayco to fit the wall bracket and wind up antenna but purchased the TV from JB hifi. Saved about $500 just on the TV.

I'd still recommend ESC even with the trailer assist system.

If you ever change tugs you'll still have the ESC.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
wish I did a awning light over external shower did not think of it although come in handy. I cannot see it easy to do now :(.

We wish we had put a light over the toilet cassette and where the power and water inlets are. Would help when setting up after dark.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi, and welcome. We have the ESC, but also have the big van. Don't notice it's there, unless I mount the kerb going round a round a bout!
We got the TV (sphere one) / entertainment pack (was a special) thru jayco. Was a good idea, as they hooked it all up so the sound from TV can come out of stereo speakers, both inside or outside, which the kids love. We also bought another bigger sphere TV for down the back of the van and mounted it ourselves. I like the tvs that run on 12v as well as 240 v for when you are on the road for stop overs.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
if theres something I should have done buy an older model this weight dramas with prado is killing me

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
After struggling with tv setup in other vans we went with a Sphere package. Can be connected at any of 3 points in van and we always run it on 12v because we're lazy.

It's easy as long as you remember to turn on the booster!

Highly recommend ESC.

We went dual batteries in car with isolator, 150 panel and standard battery and find that more than adequate. We mainly free camp.

Enjoy your research...it's half the fun.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi @MartyJB and welcome aboard
What's the advantage of the drifter control panel over the basic one? Is it worth it?
The Drifter has a shunt and will give you good power charge and drain feedback, where the basic model is a useless volt meter. The Drifter is expensive compared to other products on the market, but its the only upgrade option Jayco install
What's the Jayco Supplied TV like?
There ok, but expensive. I have a house full of Kogans, and 3 Kogsns in the van (yeah yeah i know ... 3) Great TVs and very cheap. I cant fault them, 12v low draw, built in media player and DVD. Just make sure you get the wall blocked for the tv bracket. If you dont order their tv they wont block the wall unless you ask. If you order the tv bracket, theyll block the wall and mount the bracket ready for your tv
What about gas bayonet at back of van?
Get one at the front and one at the back

I know there are a lot of advocates here for ESC, however my tug is Disco 4 and it has Trailer stability control, not sure I need an extra system?
The ESC certainly works, i tripped mine bouncing over a roundabout. Very effective and there was no mistake that it came on. What trailer stability on the Disco actually do

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@AzHaych thats very very cool, and I did slowly look up and to the left, contemplating the Discovery ..... before snapping back to reality.

That's an awesome piece of kit, but I cant help but think that the culprit thats swaying, stopping itself at the source, would be the choice if it was a choice. Maybe if there's a mechanical engineer hoovering around, for their pennies worth. Still, very impressive car ..... and not just for the trailer stability. But until it comes in a work ute, its no good for me

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
BT50 has trailer sway control, but I still went for the esc as well.
Im not sure if the BTs system kicks in first or no but I have never felt the esc work in nearly 11k km.