18' Series Ideas

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Hi All.... I have a question for all you Expanda owners...
Can you give me any tips or ideas that you wished you had have done or included during the build of your van, given you had your time over again ? Or owners who purchased 2nd hand, and have added your extras/toys ?

I have recently ordered a new 18.58-1, and keen to hear your stories...

Cheers

Steve

JBTZ14

Sep 24, 2014
Ballarat
Couple More 12v USB sockets. We have added some now but would have been easer to do it factory.
Also if it's the touring model get it underslung. It will give you a bit more clearance.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Welcome and I have also ordered a 18.58.1.
  • Wind up aerial is a must as you also get a 12v socket
  • Electric HWS (we always use caravan parks
  • External Gas fitting
We considered these a must for us but... others will chime in a keep you busy for years!!!

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Couple More 12v USB sockets. We have added some now but would have been easer to do it factory.
Also if it's the touring model get it underslung. It will give you a bit more clearance.
Hi. We ordered the outback, so clearance not a prob. Thanks for the USB tip.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
2 outdoor fold down tables instead of one. The less 'gear' you need to stow away and set up, the better. And another external powerpoint to go with it.
Not sure of the layout, but if theres a space under a bed, couch etc that you could reach with an external hatch fitted - get the hatch as well.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Agree with all the above.... Also if you're thinking of fitting a box/bike rack or similar on the front an extended draw bar is another thing to add to the list!

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Hi Steve, we too have have an 18.58.1OB coming first week of Sep below is my list of extras that are now signed off on.

-Hot water service
-External shower
-Light over the shower
-Extra water tank
-Extra gas bottle
-Drifter control panel
-Picnic table
-Extended draw bar
-Show pack (Fusion sound system, windup aerial, TV) carried over from our 17.56.1OB we had ordered at the Melb Show
-Extra double powerpoint to the side of the fridge cabinet near the TV
-Extra double powerpoint and TV point at the Dresser Table
-Cadel Charcoal Bolster and base cushion on club lounge and small dinette
-Boston Dark vinyl

The dresser table will be a perfect spot to run a TV for the kids

Cheers

Az

11141326_950028608352354_1163831357607355114_n.jpg

Kenshi123

Jun 24, 2012
Ballarat
Gday Steve,

I think that everyone has covered it, but depending on the amount of free camping you will do I think the investment into the second water tank, gas bottle and hot water is certainly worth it. It is surprising just how quick you run out of water, especially when showering kids etc.

I am not sure of the layout, but if you can get into one of the vans you have ordered and check out where all the powerpoints/12v sockets are it would be easier to get the ones you need ordered at factory. Do the bunks have lights/outlets there for the kids?

Either way, congrats on the purchase and all the best with the wait mate.

Cheers,

JMS Project

Jun 14, 2015
Dayboro
Cheers thanks.

We do heaps of free camping, and hardly ever go powered.

Have ordered - Extra water tank, extra gas bottle, external shower with hot water system, extra 100A battery, upgrade solar to 150w. Plus a few other goodies...

Thanks again, Steve

MartyJB

Jul 23, 2015
Perth WA
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and have just ordered an expanda myself - 16.49 - 4 OB.
A lot of my questions are answered in this topic but have a couple more;
What's the advantage of the drifter control panel over the basic one? Is it worth it?
What's the Jayco Supplied TV like?
Should I look at Harvey's for something better?
Might have to delve into some topics on electrics but trying to work out what I need here, was planning to fit dual batts to car and Anderson plug, is this the best way to go?
What about gas bayonet at back of van?
Still have 4 weeks to finalise accessories but currently have ordered;
Dual water tanks
Extra gas bottle
HWS and external shower
Wind up aerial
Picnic table
Basic control panel

I know there are a lot of advocates here for ESC, however my tug is Disco 4 and it has Trailer stability control, not sure I need an extra system?

Appreciate any advice/experience?
Thanks
Marty