Exterior HWS Anode replacement

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
When changing the Anode in the HWS has anyone had to cut the length of it down, I expected to pull the old one out, flush the tank of all the crap & refit the new one.

I purchased this one from Jayco spare parts & it says it's a replacement part for the suburban HWS, but it seems to long. So I looked inside & it looks like a pipe is directly in line with the anode hole at the rear of the tank.

When I first compared the two anodes I just thought the old one had corroded that bad but when I measure it the old one would be about 10mm to long & the new one is about 75mm to long

IMG_1108_zps51284660.jpg

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
Looks long. You can cut it down to size with a hacksaw.
The normal length is pretty much the same as that which came out. 250mm is the right length from what I've been able to google for you. Double check though.
Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I did some searching on the caravanplus website & it tells me the genuine anodes are 210mm long & another one they have is 280mm long & also say it's not recommended for the suburban, guess how long mine is .....280mm & mine came with the thread tape pre-installed just like the one in their pic that says not to use...

ERRRRRR you think buying a product from the Jayco spare parts shop with a sticker that says it's a replacement part for the suburban would be suitable to fit, yes I could just cut it down but they also say that the thread is wrong BSP v NPT

rtcammo

May 20, 2012
Is it an aftermarket anode? The aftermarket ones are longer. Did it come in a suburban packet?

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I notice you have wrapped the thread with tape. I thought the anode had to be in contact with the hot water system to work effectively. If the thread is taped no contact?

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I notice you have wrapped the thread with tape. I thought the anode had to be in contact with the hot water system to work effectively. If the thread is taped no contact?
That was how the non genuine unit came ~ pre wrapped in thread tape.
But come to think of it I did wrap the genuine anode & your correct you don't want to wrap to many layers of tape over the thread.

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
I changed mine in the Flamingo every 12mths religiously. Sourced from Jayco dealers. A friend failed to be do his and required an impact drive to get it undone. Looked like an old bit of fencing wire.

Reactions: Smergen and skippy

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I changed mine in the Flamingo every 12mths religiously. Sourced from Jayco dealers. A friend failed to be do his and required an impact drive to get it undone. Looked like an old bit of fencing wire.

Well, the van is only a tick over that anyhow but will give it a look tomorrow whilst I'm out there giving it a wash, installing @crustt new windows and putting the new cover on.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
A lot depends on the quality of the water being used @brotys . It was recommended to us by a few people to at least check it every twelve months.

At the prices ($16 on special and up to $25 - $30 when not) probably worth changing them while you've got it out anyways!