17' Series How do you turn gas on

Crazyfun

Jun 26, 2014
2 gas bottles, gas turned on, do we need to press something. Turn something on no gas working on cooktop, thanks in advance

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
2 gas bottles, gas turned on, do we need to press something. Turn something on no gas working on cooktop, thanks in advance
Not sure what van you have, but on our old swan there was a safety switch. It is at the back of the stove and gets activated by the lid being put up and down. It can get stuck sometimes. I think there was also the lever/handle (??) that turned stopped the gas from going thru the pipes. That was under the van, kitchen side.

Reactions: Bongle

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Roll underneath follow the black/copper lines to the area of your stove ,you should see a gas tap, brass with red handle usually if the handle is 90deg to line it's turned off, you will also find taps underneath for your fridge and HWS if not then in a cupboard.
With 2 gas bottles you will have a small handle at the junction that needs to be turned to the correct bottle.

Usually with your stove you will need to push in and turn the knob for the burner while pushing the pezo switch to ignite, when flame appears let the igniter go but hold the knob in for awhile , after about 10 seconds you can let the burner go and the flame will stay on.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Have you got the valve between the 2 gas bottles set to one bottle? If in the middle it will not let gas through

Crazyfun

Jun 26, 2014
Yep 2 bottles, we got it going after some googleing something about pumping the goldy coloured button thingy on the gas bottle lol yep that's a woman's description at it's best

Reactions: Smirke

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Have you got the valve between the 2 gas bottles set to one bottle? If in the middle it will not let gas through
When i went through the hand over a few weeks back, i was told that knob is nothing more than a "arrow" to point to the bottle im currently using and has no further function ... he went on to add that because it has no valve function, if i take one of the bottles off, ie disconnect, the remaining bottle will just bleed out regardless what direction that knob is facing. I havent tested it, just assumed he knew what he was talking about

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Crusty181 , while I actually haven't tested it myself I think the fella is a knob, if that was the case then if one bottle empties and you open the new one then it would decant into the empty one if you didn't shut it down, I would assume.

Hang on, he is a knob as I ran out of gas but had tap turned the wrong way once....................................

Reactions: Bmhdg76 and dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 , while I actually haven't tested it myself I think the fella is a knob, if that was the case then if one bottle empties and you open the new one then it would decant into the empty one if you didn't shut it down, I would assume.

Hang on, he is a knob as I ran out of gas but had tap turned the wrong way once....................................
Ill test it if I remember.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Crusty181 and others, I checked out mine and it is very interesting.
Now with gas on and a burner going on stove I turn the lever to the other bottle and the burner stays on !!!!!!!!! Turn bottle off burner goes off with lever in either position.
Bottle turned on, lever to other bottle, stove won't ignite, lever needs to be turned to the bottle thats actually on ....
Does that make any sense ???

It seems to me that it requires pressure to activate as well as manual movement of lever, didn't check the remove one bottle method, will save that till tomorrow.

Last edited:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
When i went through the hand over a few weeks back, i was told that knob is nothing more than a "arrow" to point to the bottle im currently using and has no further function ... he went on to add that because it has no valve function, if i take one of the bottles off, ie disconnect, the remaining bottle will just bleed out regardless what direction that knob is facing. I havent tested it, just assumed he knew what he was talking about
How did you go @Crusty181 ?

This sounds ill informed to me and a safety issue as what would happen if you remove one bottle to go get it filled while camping? This would leave gas expelling with the now removed bottle and say the fridge running on gas as an eg.

Reactions: dagree

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
How did you go @Crusty181 ?

This sounds ill informed to me and a safety issue as what would happen if you remove one bottle to go get it filled while camping? This would leave gas expelling with the now removed bottle and say the fridge running on gas as an eg.
Spot on @cruza driver. Wrong or stupid, either way not ideal.

I haven't had a chance to get at it; on site till the end of the week ...... but when I get back to the factory, Ill disconnect the second bottle, play with the green pointer and see what happens

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Got to the factory today, so check the vans gas regulator "indicator". The regulator "indicator" is pointed toward the primary bottle.

Disconnected the second gas bottle, opened up the primary and .......... zip!!! Flicked whats now re-named the "valve" across to the secondary and ............... again zip. As the "valve" past the central position is blurted out a shot burst, but shut off immediately once past. The so called indicator is quite clearly a valve; at least mine is.

The moral is obvioulsy get the person who knows the least about the van to teach people how to use it.

You just have to shake your head.

Reactions: cruza driver

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
The 'goldie coloured button' sounds like a gas fuse/gauge and you do have to pump it each time you turn the gas bottle off and then on.

Was at bunnings today and seen the genuine GAS FUSE / GAUGE on sale for $24.95 ( was $35.00 ) if any one is interested. Not sure if was a bunnings wide or just a local deal.

Reactions: Drover