18' Series Hitch height

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Hi all, hope everyone is doing well!

Can anyone tell me the hitch ride height for a 2016 outback expanda? I assume they’re all the same, but mine is 18.58.2. I measured rail heights today when on car (2018 prado) and front was 320 and rear 620 so I’m guessing I need to raise tow ball 150mm ish.

Cheers

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While I can't help with the actual hitch height your post has lost me and possibly others regarding rail heights ?

With your van on level ground with its normal loading, measure from ground to bottom of hitch then with your tug all level and preferably with a load, measure from ground to bottom of ball, ideally the tugs hitch should be 25-30mm higher than the van's so hopefully they will both be nice and level when hitched up...... if the rig sags in the middle or has a porpoise action on uneven roads then a WDH is required or a new suspension set....... there are regs that stipulate a min and max height for ball hitches but is really aimed at cars and is generally ignored .

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Hi all, hope everyone is doing well!

Can anyone tell me the hitch ride height for a 2016 outback expanda? I assume they’re all the same, but mine is 18.58.2. I measured rail heights today when on car (2018 prado) and front was 320 and rear 620 so I’m guessing I need to raise tow ball 150mm ish.

Cheers
Gday Bennov
3 items below:

Firstly check your downball weight - either by the special weigh post that goes into the hitch and you lower the van onto it (make sure the van wheels are chocked) or by taking the van & Prado to a weighbridge and weigh only the van unhitched and hitched - difference is your downball weight. Check the downball weight = or less than that permissable on the towbar?

If the front of the Prado lifts too much you may have to have weight distribution bars!

I understand your maths, but the 150 doesn't take into account the effect on the Prado of the downball weight. Then to get the van level while towing - I suggest (on level ground) have the van on the vehicle and do your measurements again. Then you will know how much you have to raise the tow ball.

Bennov

Feb 27, 2016
Ringwood, vic
Ok, thanks for the feedback guys..... here I was thinking the hitch height would be a fairly generic figure for most OB’s. I was thinking of getting a downball weight measuring post For peace of mind, I saw them for $50-70 at the rv shop a while back.

I was thinking of inverting the tongue to raise ball height, that should be about 100mm but will measure heights and confirm. I read the that van should slightly nose down, is there a rough figure I’m thinking 30-50mm.

Cheers

carco

Jan 20, 2019
Gympie
Yeah mate you want the van riding level and the car sitting as it normally drives, not down in the bum or the caster will be way wrong.
To get that on stock suspension you'll probably need bags or levelling bars.
Most will opt for levelling bars, they're pretty simple.
If you go for bars and your hitch uses a conventional 50mm ball, check your coupling/ball fit is tight and not rattling.