17' Series Hi

mikerosenkids

Sep 18, 2013
Loftus
New to this forum
Mike - thats me
Rose - thats the better half
N kids thats three Rachel 12 Nathan 10 and Luke 8
Started out with a tent in a box trailer then moved up to an old 70's type pop top style camper trailer followed by a Trak Shak until July 2011 when the 1756-2 became our home away from home 6 weeks a year (wish it was more).
Mods - Yes done a few
Solar panels 4 x 64 watt Unisolar on sliding rails on roof easily removed if parked in shade currently installing tilt mechanism for all panels to maximise collection
Redarc BMS 1220 with two 100 amp batteries (Jayco supplied)
Reich twin 12 volt caravan mover
roller draw for front hatches that can be opened from either end, also slide it out as a bench top for kitchen area
Kitchen box on 'A' frame that covers both gas bottles and Generator in centre, this also has a hand water pump on one side and a gas ring at bench height that I screw the bottle from under bench top and the gas bottle hangs off.
This Kitchen box has drop down legs so when I remove it from draw bar its at a good bench height to set up U-bute twin gas bbq and next to that our Camp oven.
On top of this box I have installed a bike rack that carries 5 bikes ( only problem is it has to be dismantled before the bed can open up but we only take all the bikes for the longer stays and not overnighters
Well thats Us in a nutshell

Cheers Michael

Reactions: blacky

jed

May 16, 2013
welcome to the forum mikerosenkids great people and lots of info here enjoy

mikerosenkids

Sep 18, 2013
Loftus
Trial photo Sikaflex Aluminium unistrut to roof for sliding solar panels

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Reactions: blacky

mikerosenkids

Sep 18, 2013
Loftus
Solar panels
If I park in the shade I can slide one or all panels off and follow the sun one of the panels has a 10m long lead the other three have a 2m lead so as to link them together

Attachments

• IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 253

mikerosenkids

Sep 18, 2013
Loftus
Hi Geoff
Thanks for your link -great mods
I joined up to see if anyone has photos of their shower setup
and to steal and share some more ideas :)

Cheers Michael

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome @mikerosenkids, great mods! I especially like the solar panel setup, I'm interested on your tilt mechanism as I was thinking of doing the same.....maybe with a piano hinge on one side and a latch with adjustable positions on the other.....just need a ladder to reach them!
Cheers.

mikerosenkids

Sep 18, 2013
Loftus
Hi Burnsy
I have mounted my panels onto a piece of aluminium angle which sits on top of hinges that are attached to unistrut rollers which allow me to slide the panels.
Still with me? I'm terrible at trying to explain stuff ( I'm away on the weekend but next chance I'll whip the van out of the garage and take some more detailed photos)
Holding the panels to that angle I have a nut & bolt in each corner but will replace with those little slide bolt window locks ( which I have keyed alike) which then allows me to tilt each panel in any 4 directions
eg remove the two pins on the side that needs to be raised prop up and lock into place you could even leave two panels flat and raise the rear two.
Hope that makes sense
Cheers Michael

mikerosenkids

Sep 18, 2013
Loftus
Thanks for the welcome guys
6 weeks in total normally 4 weeks at xmas and two separate week long trips through the year normally down the south coast parked up in the bush close to the beach.
The kids are into motor bikes now so we do a few trips towing a car trailer full of Quads and bikes in Oztents RV5's and I've retro fitted our camp kitchen onto a Car trailer I had made up so its the same cooking set up for both trips

This year for some reason I've only got 3 weeks at Xmas so that's not good
Cheers

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 271

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Burnsy
I have mounted my panels onto a piece of aluminium angle which sits on top of hinges that are attached to unistrut rollers which allow me to slide the panels.
Still with me? I'm terrible at trying to explain stuff ( I'm away on the weekend but next chance I'll whip the van out of the garage and take some more detailed photos)
Holding the panels to that angle I have a nut & bolt in each corner but will replace with those little slide bolt window locks ( which I have keyed alike) which then allows me to tilt each panel in any 4 directions
eg remove the two pins on the side that needs to be raised prop up and lock into place you could even leave two panels flat and raise the rear two.
Hope that makes sense
Cheers Michael
That's mate, yeah sort of, sounds like it works well. I'll look forward to those pics!

Cheers.