16' Series Hello, as we start the prepping process!

Kimberley D

Sep 13, 2012
Darwin
Hi
We have just decided a caravan adventure is called for! In tow will be our two littlies, a 3 year old and a 5 month old. We are new to this so any advice would be most beneficial to quell our "discussions" that occur every day as we try to come up with a plan.
We have decided on a 2nd hand 16" expanda (yet to purchase), and will be setting off in December, with the plan of being on the road 4-6months.
Our dilemma is we have a new Nissan X-trail auto petrol- ? the worst possible buy considering our travelling plan! It does have a two tonne towing capacity which the 16" is in the weight range, however hubby says it will burn the car out and the total weight will be too close to the two tonne limit making it unsafe to use. So do you think a 3 tonne towing car is in order?
Many thanks for your help in advance, and for all of the tips i've picked up along the way as i've been a 'looker' on the forum.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Welcome Kimberley D. I think your X-Trail might be a bit light on for comfortable towing. Maybe trade up to a recent auto diesel Pathfinder (<100,000 kms) or similar, you'll get plenty of suggestions I'm sure. The X is quite popular and you may be able to minimise any losses by talking with your Nissan dealer. Depending on the 16 you select and the stuff you add to it after browsing this Forum it will be easy to get close to the 2 tonne.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Kimberley,
Welcome to the forum :wave: we are new to vanning and others will be able to give you more practical advice than me, but at 2t towing "loaded" you will also be towing a van heavier than the vehicle, which from what I have read isn't ideal.
Your other big problem is the tow ball weight limit of 150kg. Looking at the new catalog for 16" vans there are only 2 at around 145, but the rest are over 150. Not sure about older vans but I suspect they will be similar. I think the tow ball weight is your biggest legal problem or you may have to be very specific to find the right 16 model that comes in under 150. If you do find a 145kg, there is very little margin for error. If you are set on a 16" van then I think you would need to upgrade. Hope that helps, but just my thoughts based on theory, no practical knowledge I am afraid.
Jas

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
With only a 14' van, I can't offer much advice on the 16' but my 14 goes to around 1850kg loaded so I would imagine 16 would be up there. If your tug is only rated for 2 tonne towing then I would seriously consider an upgrade. Just do a search on 'tow vehicles' and you will find many responses on members vehicles. Good luck with your choice and welcome to the forum.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Kimberly D, and welcome! We just sold a 16' outback which weighed about 1550kg empty and legally could only weigh 1850 loaded, so 2000kg would be over loaded anyway, however I feel your x trail would struggle and chew the juice. Might be better to upgrade especially for a big trip like you plan. If you decide to upgrade I would recommend a turbo diesel.....better fuel economy and heaps of torque for towing! Good luck with whatever you decide and also with the purchase of a van!

Cheers.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Kimberley – have you checked out Gazinaus' thread "Towing with a Nissan X-Trail" ? Particularly Brad's post of a few weeks back.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Kimberley – have you checked out Gazinaus' thread "Towing with a Nissan X-Trail" ? Particularly Brad's post of a few weeks back.

Hi Kimberly,
Reading the thread the Xpandafan mentions and reading the xtrails specs again I made a blunder in my previous post, tow ball rating can be 200kg, But your gvm will take a 250kg hit if you push up to around the 200kg limit. Like the other thread says, it's do-able but a stretch. We have a similar problem to you with the Prado and a 18" van.
Jas

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hi Kimberly, welcome. I would think the 2T rating will put pressure on your tug, i would look for a higher tow rating and move to diesel. Good luck with shopping for the van, I was at Page Bros in Melbourne today and heard the sales guy saying they could not take any trade ins untill they clear some stock so might be an opportunity for you!

Kimberley D

Sep 13, 2012
Darwin
Oh wow, thanks for all your replies. Hubby is rapt you all sided with him and is actively on the hunt for the car- yes diesel and 3 tonne towing capacity i believe! So all systems go for us. Finding the van has been delegated my job, so best get busy so ready for our December take off. I'll have to check out Page Bros Melb too. Thanks again

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
"Well done lad's we got a member of the man club a new car now we just need to get him a fishing licence...."

Yeah Kimberly D car and van sound excellent but now you've got the bigger car you'll obviously need a boat on the roof. Cut down on drag and saves a heap of fuel.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Don't forget the Waeco fridge for beers. Thats an absolute requirement!.

Any of the diesels which tow over 2 tonnes will do. Our petrol Prado is rated to 2500 kg and is no where near as good as our diesel Territory which is rated to 2300 kg. The AWD Terry's are good to 2700 kg so if you don't want to drive a truck..........well!

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
"Well done lad's we got a member of the man club a new car now we just need to get him a fishing licence...."

Yeah Kimberly D car and van sound excellent but now you've got the bigger car you'll obviously need a boat on the roof. Cut down on drag and saves a heap of fuel.
Hi Kimberly,
I think he deserves a Harley and maybe a home theatre, and a bigger shed, and blokes weekend to Bathurst 1000, and footy tickets............:biggrin1:

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield

How true brookes, dont also foget all the cans of beer required for counter balance and sway control too!!

Kimberley D

Sep 13, 2012
Darwin
Too funny you all sticking together advocating the 'blokes stuff'. You actually had me checking Rod didn't have you up to that seeing lots of you on the bandwagon. (Lucky he isn't into this site yet, with the van research my domain, so i'm safe from him being brainwashed for now, haha). Let's hope there are as many ladies on the road up for lattes and the likes for me!

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Kimberley D,

We just picked up our 16' van and towed it back home (1630kms) with our 2001 petrol prado. The prado is rated at 2500kg. Used about 20L/100lkms on average of fuel. Any slight hills and you would lose speed every time. Good to hear that you are on the look out for a new car. Diesel is certainly the way to go. Not sure if you require 3t capacity? As Bank of Dad said, the territory tows very well and with good milage. Might save some $$$ by going a smaller car? But would you want a smaller car with 2 little ones and all the stuff you need in the car for them? Food for thought.

Enjoy it all when you get it! :)

Ants

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Kimberlry D,

Welcome to the forum and the caravaning experience.

How about a Land Cruiser, it's rated to 3.5T with a 350KG ball weight - then as the kids get bigger (or more come along) then you can get a bigger van with no problems and you won't need to look for another tug again :heh:

On the Latte front - my wife's only requirement is for her coffee in the morning and she does not want Pods, so she went out and found this great little Kambrook coffee machine. Fits nicely under the seat storage.

IMG_0753.JPG

Not sure how it's going to work when we free camp without a genni?!?!

Good luck,

Rohan

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
As Bank of Dad said, the territory tows very well and with good milage. Might save some $$$ by going a smaller car? But would you want a smaller car with 2 little ones and all the stuff you need in the car for them? Food for thought.

At the risk of sounding arguementative, our Terry has as much room as the Prado and probably more than it in the back seats. The new Prado has an even smaller boot than the older ones.