16' Series hard top over older models

FIRIE

Aug 10, 2014
perth
Hi All
New to the forum so excuss any mistakes(this is the second attempt), I am looking to purchase an expanda but being in Perth there's not much to choose from for a reasonable price. There are heaps of older models with canvas only bed ends in my range. But I really want hard top over the bed ends.

So my question is has anyone made or had made a hard top for the bed ends.

Thanks for any advice, hopefully very soon be an owner of a expanda soon

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
:welcome: to the forum @FIRIE from another Perthite!!!!!!
We had a 2007 16.49.3 with the soft lids and had a set of bed flys made and fitted. Unfortunately it still felt like we were setting up a tent but don't get me wrong....... We DID enjoy every minute away in it as it was our first van.

Only reason we upgraded was to go one size bigger due to the number of Grandkids getting older and wanting to get away.

Sorry but can't help with retrofitting a hard lid on the earlier models though!!

FIRIE

Aug 10, 2014
perth
Thanks Dagree,still trying to find expanda with hard top over bed ends but because we need shower the price of the panda's are just out of our reach.$30000 is our limit ,unless Ive just won weekend lotto, then hell I'll buy two.Looking at 16ft with the two beds and shower!!!See how we go ,need it so I can tinker

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Might find an early 2008 hardlid for around that price.
We sold our 2007 soft-lid for $27,500 in March just gone and were told it was o good price so you never know!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Also forgot to mention we were looking for a late model secondhand van and had the same issue..... Not a lot around in Perth so we bit the bullet and found the extra few $'s and went new.

FIRIE

Aug 10, 2014
perth
Wish we had the money,but Im happy to by second hand.On gumtree as we speak but no hard lids with showers,need a shower due to medical requirements for my wife ,early days will see how we go.Reading some great stuff with all the mods,great forum!!!

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
Hi Firie, I have the older model and have thought about fitting some type of hard lid as well. I have bed end flys and it really only takes a couple mins to set each end up and I have no leaks. Reading on this forum it seems alot of the hardlid models leak at the bed ends. And you still sleep under canvas in the hardlid models don't you?

wizzer

ps just noticed in 4 sale section for $34000.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/2010-expanda-16-49-3ob.5608/

Last edited:
Reactions: hardexpanda

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
There used to be a Expanda owners group on Yahoo. There was a few "hardlid" conversions or adaptions iirc. One guy put a domed truck trailer front on an Expanda as a hardlid! There was also some roll out awnings.

Tbh we had a soft top and the beds were longer and a bit more room than hardlids. The pain was setting up the bed ends each night but really that's not why we upgraded and our bed end flys were rooted so I used to take them off completely and put them in the trunk. Also for quick over nighters I would just lay the fly over the bed end (not pegged down)

The advantage with the older system with bed fly was we never ever got wet. Something I couldn't claim using the later hardlid and privacy screens?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I'll just add that if money was tight I would buy a soft lid. Especially given you could probably get a bargin. I feel with these vans they are starting to reach that point in resale that if you look after it they will not loose much more value.

FIRIE

Aug 10, 2014
perth
Hi Guys
A big thank you for the replies ,have been looking at SA for Pandas(took me a few min to figure what pandas meant,dumb ass)so will keep looking.Having an indust sewing machine can make covers for ends (not prof stand but will work and cost quarter of buying them,fitting is the hard part)but really want a quick set up and being in WA ,wind has been a real problem, hence hard lid.But as achjimmy and others said the savings on soft top will be massive.Will go to second/h caravan seller next week and have another look,might have to change game plan!!

Reactions: achjimmy

FIRIE

Aug 10, 2014
perth
Hi davemc/wizzerwassa
Would prefer 16ft mainly for re-sale as notice online (they seem to take alot longer to sell if later I want to upgrade),but will rethink game plan.Thanks wizzes but my max price is $30 000 with nothing left and as Darwin is 4 to5 days away from perth(did perth to darwin in camper last year-never a canvas camper again)would have to try and org leave and try to drop price to have a chance of getting that panda. Great looking panda though,Thanks again all

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Guys
A big thank you for the replies ,have been looking at SA for Pandas(took me a few min to figure what pandas meant,dumb ass)so will keep looking.Having an indust sewing machine can make covers for ends (not prof stand but will work and cost quarter of buying them,fitting is the hard part)but really want a quick set up and being in WA ,wind has been a real problem, hence hard lid.But as achjimmy and others said the savings on soft top will be massive.Will go to second/h caravan seller next week and have another look,might have to change game plan!!

Firie when we bought our soft lid and looked at others. The bed end awnings and screens were actual in good Nic mostly. It was the actual plastic/canvas bag that was rooted. I also found these bags were made a tad to tight for pack up. If you can sew you could make new bags and put straps around them. The other thing is I think all the expandas had the sail track that the bag ends attached to. You could ignore the bag and make an awning that just sail tracks. On as you need it.

Good luck

FIRIE

Aug 10, 2014
perth
Hi achjimmy
Had a few hours looking at soft tops and 14 ft will see what my wife thinks,still prefer hard lid/16ft.Being able to sew can see I could make a product that would be simple,works and cost effective(seen some of the stupid prices of the bed end covers,nearly$1000 alarming)probably around $300 to $400 all up,less with only one window(talking about hard top canvas privacy screen).
Also tried to find that group but no luck yet,do you have a link.Being a tinkerA not scared to have a go(not great looking but works)

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi achjimmy
Had a few hours looking at soft tops and 14 ft will see what my wife thinks,still prefer hard lid/16ft.Being able to sew can see I could make a product that would be simple,works and cost effective(seen some of the stupid prices of the bed end covers,nearly$1000 alarming)probably around $300 to $400 all up,less with only one window(talking about hard top canvas privacy screen).
Also tried to find that group but no luck yet,do you have a link.Being a tinkerA not scared to have a go(not great looking but works)
Google Expandaownersaustralia yahoo - should get you there
Bill