Interior H/W system queires

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Hi all I am new to tis caravanning stuff so I will no doubt be asking many more questions in the coming months now for this question:D.

Does the H/W system fill when you are in a caravan park and have a hose connected to the van (and turned on of course) or does it only fill from the water tanks under the van via the 12v pump? I have done a search and found heaps of great info but I can’t find the answer to this question.

Also do these units have some sort of float switch for maintaining water level? as you use the hot water I am assuming that it is replenished by cold water whether it be from mains or 12v pump via some sort of level control using a float switch.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi @axl, the hot water tank will fill from mains or 12v pump as long as you turn on the hot tap and it will stay full as you use hot water. It is the same as your home main pressure HWS as it takes cold in as you remove hot. There is no float or switch and will cool down as cold water replaces the hot but will automatically start to reheat when stored water temperature drops to a certain level ( I have no idea what that temp may be :oops: ) as long as the gas or the 240V is still switched on.

I hope this makes sense.

Reactions: Axl

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
In addition, I find it always good practise when turning on the hot water service to run the hot tap and bleed the system of any air before switching the system on.
That way you can be sure the element won't burn itself out.