Electrical Going to Hotwire my fridge to an Anderson plug

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
every van I have had I had rewired the fridge to an Anderson plug and by passed the 7 or 12pin. They have generally worked better and 9 outta 10 plug related issues I have seen or helped fix on vans it's been because the high current draw item has burnt the plug and then the wiring. But as the. Starcraft had slighty heavier wiring and I split it at the plug over two pins each I thought it might be okay and the fridge has performed okay on 12v as well.

This last trip I put my fingers on the pins after I withdrew the plug and I couldn't touch the pins they were that hot! So Iam going back to an Anderson and heavier wire direct to fridge. Yep it's another connection to do but I just don't want hassles somewhere in the road.

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
its funny that I have just got back from a week away in van (Newnes and Hill End) , and upon arriving at Hill End I couldn't pull my 12 pin apart. Just slightly plastic welded together. First time in 5 years tho possible hot before, just haven't noticed. After finally getting them apart it was definately one of the larger of two wire that heated up, one being earth I think, the other being power to what I thought was possibly charging van battery but now I presume is the fridge. hate electrics, don't understand them at all (give me hammer or spanner anyday). Already have anderson plug on ranger, so looks like I have to rewire in thicker wire to fridge power... might take to auto electrician me thinks!!!!