14' Series Going to buy a Jayco and looking for advice Urgently.

May 1, 2017
Hobart
Hi Guys

New to the forum and will do full introductions shortly. We currently have a custom build off road camper trailer, but with kids its getting a bit of a pain to use and setup.

We have found this for sale and it really suits our family needs, perhaps a tad smaller then we might ideally like, but the price, we negotiate a few k off the price, is hard to pass up.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/old-beach/caravans/jayco-expanda-2012-14-44/1146449166

I have had a good look over it and it is certainly great condition, a few minor defects like a few scuffs but otherwise very good condition.

What do you guys think about this? What do i need to inspect? any thing to look out for? Any known issues and things to review onsite when i go tomorrow?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Looks ok but I'd be checking out the following.....(from the top of my head...just to get you started...others , I'm sure, will add to it)

• Battery capacity....and its operation....use a metre to give current SOC
  • solar capacity
  • Turn on all gas outlets and check
  • Look under all beds ....any water damage?
  • Tyres ...all ok?
  • Cupboard doors...open all of them and check if any hinges have pulled out
  • Open awning a couple of times and check all clips etc work ok, also check awning itself for tears stretching etc
  • Open all hatches...check floorings
  • Pop top ...does it open easily? Is the vinyl damaged?
  • Service history.....whose done it, what's been done regularly?

That'll get you started... At nearly five years old, you'll find some minor issues....that's to be expected

May 1, 2017
Hobart
Thanks guys. The minors issues are really minor, like general ware and tear so im not to worried about those. Thanks on the fridge, dint think of that.

The battery is not an issue for me as i am pulling out the system out of my camper anyhow and putting it into this one.

what are your thoughts on price etc.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi @Maciej Jankowiak,

I would add:
Make sure they have ALL of the manuals for the various equipment in the van: fridge, stove, charger, awning, solar panel, solar charger, etc etc
Make sure you get instructions on how to use everything in the van and write it all down.
Get a list of all the mods that have been done. Inspect all mods to see that they are not shonky. get instructions on how to use all of the mods. Especially important for how the van hooks up to the tug. How is the fridge powered on 12V? If it is solar, how is it connected? Are the solar panels working.
Check fridge works on Gas, 12V and 240V.
How old is the battery?
Check the state of the tyres, especially the spare.

Check absolutely everywhere for signs of cracking, peeling, anything that might be an indication of water damage.
Check in every internal nook. Outside, remove the lower fridge vent and check the floor. Also inspect the floor underneath the van for water damage.
Check under the van for any damage to electrical wiring, gas and water pipes.
Check the van works when connected to 240V, outlets, fridge, stove, all external and internal power points.

best wishes
Mike

Last edited:
May 1, 2017
Hobart
Thanks guys. I have had a good look at night with torches and flood lights, looking at it in the day time today.

Instruction are there.
Mods are very well undertaken but i will be modifying to suit myself. I did my last fit out myself.
Need to check cracking etc, when i looked under the van it all looked very well and no signs of water damage, will review the rest etc.

Thanks guys.

What are your thoughts on price. I have negotiated down a couple of K????

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks guys. The minors issues are really minor, like general ware and tear so im not to worried about those. Thanks on the fridge, dint think of that.

The battery is not an issue for me as i am pulling out the system out of my camper anyhow and putting it into this one.

what are your thoughts on price etc.

Price? Sorry, no idea but, as a guide, and as its a negotiable price, I'd be looking at about $2k below that and be prepared to negotiate up. It depends on the level of interest they've had so far and, obviously, how many others of this type are available....I'd guess, not as many as on the big island.

Though I notice it's just been listed so there may not be much wiggling room.

If you want it, make an offer and be prepared to go up till you're happy!

and report back on progress, please. I love spending other people's money.

:p

Reactions: warren cook

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
I also think the price is about right, most sellers expect to have to come down a bit. This is a popular model with the rear bunks etc. I have a outback version which I will be selling later in the year for around mid 30k . We have been very happy with ours and have had no problems at all. I was surprised on how much internal storage there is for a small van. We don't have any kids at home now and will probably move onto a caravan when we get organised.