20' Series Gibb River Road in 20.63 Expanda Outback Caravan

Would you take a 20.63 Expanda Outback Caravan up the Gibb.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aaron Bruce

Oct 10, 2014
I am planning to travel the Gibb River Road in a 20.63 Expanda Outback Caravan.

I see a lot of photos & videos of pop-tops and 16-17 footers but not 20+.

Creek crossings concern me the most so I am after some of your experiences.

Cheers,

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ill be watching this thread with interest. Our new 20.63.1 is waiting collection at the dealer, and the Gibb River road is on my expanding itinerary for a planned trip. I suspect the bottom line would be the physical condition of the track at the time your there.

I have no concerns about taking our van on it, and the track is an intrinsic part the trip as planned, but it will all come down to the timing.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
There was an article 4 yrs ago where they took a standard 16:49 accros and I think they blew a water connection fitting? Just seal up underneath and stone guard everything and good to go.

Reactions: Crusty181

egomoi

Aug 7, 2014
I have recently taken delivery of the 14.44-5 OB and intend to do the GRR in the next year or so. Stonestomper has been put on. Will do a few trips of increasing ruggedness to get dust proofing sorted out. As others have said the ease will depend on the state of the track when you do it and when graders have last gone through.

Reactions: Crusty181

Gibson

Feb 10, 2014
West australia
We I did the gib we went without caravan many have taken vans on the road and if it is dry and the grader has been on it a few days before you could do it in a 2wd mini if not when you get to the end turn around and pick up all the parts that have fall off ya van so you can re build it later . Don't even try to take it up the kulumbaru rd it won't make it the locals look after that rd and they not really want us up there so she dose not see a grader very often.

VDJ200R

Jan 19, 2014
Perth
I have done the Gibb twice although not towing and it's not as bad as it's made out to be. The first time I did it I was told that my car would fall to bits and I shouldn't take it as it will be ruined. Seen plenty of people towing big vans and not all of them off road ones either. Preparation is the key and drive to the conditions. Travelling over corrugated roads at a speed where your not going to slow as this will cause more damage. Reduce Tyre pressures, met so many people that were travelling along at 38 -40 psi in their tyres and wondering why their teeth are nearly falling out. As was said I wouldn't take the van to Mitchell falls or Kalumbaru. Van can be left at Drysdale station. Most importantly Enjoy !

Reactions: achjimmy

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I also voted yes, as I have taken mine along the GRR and also took it up to Kalumburu.
I did a fair bit of dust sealing on our trip before we got to the GRR, but didn't do any real prep underneath. One of our travelling companions broke a water pipe on one of his tanks and lost half of it before we could stop to fix it. Luckily I was behind him and saw the water trail on the road.

As others have said, drive to the conditions. The Kalumburu Rd up to Drysdale was heavily corrugated so I had my Pajero down to 26psi and the Expanda down to 22psi, travelling around 50-6okm/h. Drysdale to Kalumburu was even slower. A bit of dust, one cupboard door on the floor, as well as the microwave plate (note, must remember to remove that, we forgot that day).

Reactions: achjimmy

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
From what I have heard from talking to others...Yes. Reduce tyre pressure and speed and anything can get through.

Last edited:

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
I've driven the GRR about 20 years ago, not towing. I think it wasn't that bad but I won't drive the Kalumbaru r0ad again. Nearly lost the bonnet & LPG tank on my landcruiser ute. Dropping tyre pressures was a no no back then.
jvp

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
As others have said, seal up for dust ingress, and I would get better stone guards for the water tanks as the this gal ones from standard will get destroyed. Make sure you have anything else under the van protected as well, like the gas bayonet and ant brake wires. I would also ensure you have a good stoneguard on the front of the van to prevent damage from the vehicles tyres.
Hope this helps

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
Having done quite a bit of off road driving in the past predominantly in heavy vehicles, I was quite surprised in my last trip at some peoples reactions to what I class as a pretty good road.
Cadney Park to Oonadatta - Reasonable condition some spots 20kph others 90kph average over 150ks 75kph.
Merennie loop in July 2014 was in good condition but a number of people I spoke to described it otherwise. Sure there were some 30kph section but on others 100kph was the go.
Bungle Bungles - Don't take your car on it its not worth a couple of tyres was the reaction of most in the caravan park. In reality it wasn't so bad with average speed at 25kph and probably max at 40k. Those that did do tyres were the ones trying to go 60 and 70kph.
Gibb River East from Derby to Winjana turn off- Excellent condition if a bit dusty.
Winjana to Tunnel creek. Hmm passed a lot of people doing 20kph and really slogging it out with the corrugation's. Tyre pressure at 28psi allowed me to glide over corrugations at about 80kph only slowing for floodways that had a bit of a savage exit.
The Jump up out past the gas plant at Dampier - Now that's a rough road. Took a look and said the desired location was not worth the effort.
Cape Leveque Road after 240mm of rain 48 hrs before. A bit sloppy but quite drivable at 70 kph. 24hrs later much drier and 80 to 90 easy.

Lots of us grey nomads out there but road condition opinions vary. As a mate once said whilst sitting in a nat park camp area, you can tell the difference between country and city people by looking at how they drive on a dirt rd. Country people go around the puddles, City people go straight thru. Its all about tyre pressure, speed and keeping your eyes open.

GregW

Jan 30, 2013
Perth
We took our 14ft expanda outback over the Great Central Road (GCR) 1200km of dirt, stones, and corrugations last year. No problems at all, but in saying that i did alot of work on it to dust proof it, including positively pressuring the van, alot of stone protection. Stone guard on front, large mud flaps attached to the stone guard, added mud flaps under the van to protect, shockies, water contections, water tanks. Covered all the pvc drainage pipes with rubber tubing. I also sealed all the wiring that was just tucked up under the van on the drivers side into an electrical sealed box. Had a graat trip, but did take a few washs just to get the RED dirt on the van itself. Make sure you take an extra spare with you, we had two for the van (only single axle) and two for the car, did a tyre the first day on the GCR.

Ps we are looking at doing the GRR next year, so interested to here more from all

Barra

Apr 11, 2014
Townsville
We returned from WA last week. Kimberley's were really nice. Blew a tyre on the van out of Mt Isa only having done about 3k in total on the highway, go figure... Stayed at El Questro which was really good. We were hearing the GRR was in the best condition it's been in for years by other travellers. We didn't do it this time cause we weren't prepared but look forward to seeing the Kimberley's again and maybe do it then. My suggestion would be to check the length of the van and the angles of entry and departure of the crossings with such a long van. Also take a tent to get to the places you just can't take the van. You don't want to miss something if your so close to it. Enjoy the trip!

Expandaman

May 24, 2013
Dalby - QLD
After looking under our 20.63-1 OB, i would certainly be trying to protect the masses of pipes and wiring underneath. Its the one gripe I have with Jayco. Surely they could put a removable folded Galvanised channel under the vans to run pipework and wiring. Not expensive yet I'm sure customers would be willing to pay for it. When we picked ours up, the rear water tank sensor that runs up to the setec drifter LCD readout panel to show levels was pulled that tight that it surely would have broken over time. It's the little finesses that Jayco can sometimes lack on. Don't get me wrong, we love our Expandas that we have owned. I'm curious and in anticipation of seeing the posts to come of your Gibb River journeys. Good luck and safe travels.

Reactions: Barra

Barra

Apr 11, 2014
Townsville
Yep, I agree with you Expandaman. The bottom is also pretty exposed just driving on a dirt road from stones etc. We had no rain on our trip so that was good. I've read in other threads people have attached shade cloth say, under the van to protect the pipes and wires. This would be wise!

Reactions: Expandaman