Funny, Dodgy photos.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When I packed up and cleaned out the computer stuff I threw out a heap of 50mb HDD and had a laugh when I threw a pile of old CDs on top, plastic disc held heaps more.............1.5mb floppy , wow bigtime.........

Reactions: dagree

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I used to work on 300 mb drives that were the size of large chest fridge and the disks were removable, 10 double side disks on a fixed spindle and weighed around 15 Kg. Head crashes on those were common due to manual changing of disk packs and up to six hours work replacing 20 heads and aligning each. Ah, the good old days. :frusty:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I used to build and sell those computers on the side for extra $ :)
Remember there was a time when mice ran around your kitchen not connected to a computer :) Yes I am old :)

I bought an original Microsoft mouse back in the days....the pixel units were called Mickeys. ....according to their blurb.

Aaaaahhh ....the memories.

Now we're all older but wiser.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I live in hope that both may be achieved ......and have donated all my very expensive 10meg hard drives, three monitors, several laptops, and multiple network cables and keyboards .....all enjoying a new life at the local dump.

Recycling as it was closer than the general tip.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I needed 2 wheely bins to dump my computer stuff...Once rebuilt an old clunker, loaded up Windows 3.2 and then had to get my old books out as I had forgotten how to use DOS...........................binned it, what a pain.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I needed 2 wheely bins to dump my computer stuff...Once rebuilt an old clunker, loaded up Windows 3.2 and then had to get my old books out as I had forgotten how to use DOS...........................binned it, what a pain.
I can help with old DOS books. :p Plus the odd monitor, keyboard etc even an old Apple monitor with inbuilt computer. I think I need a trip to the tip. :oops:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'll collect yours on the way with my next load!

What really hurt was the tossing of a laptop that originally cost me over $8000. I kept it as I kept thinking how much I paid, then I had a rethink and realised that I could get better, faster and greater capacity these days for about $500.
My thinking, then, was buy good quality and it will last longer and be more reliable.

Now I'm into the buy cheap, and ditch it when it dies.

Now up to 32 loads to the dump and probably only 2 more, then I'm done!

and yes...it is a big big shed with loads of space and a lot less crap.

:p

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hey @Dobbie that sounds like me last DEC thru to FEB when I cleared up 25 yrs of accumulated treasure steel, timber, plumbing, vehicle and van parts, computers,all sorts of electrical stuff oh it broke my heart at first then my back........5 acres can hold a lot of treasure, Mrs D called it something else though..................

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Saw this on Facebook might have a load issue

upload_2017-1-6_19-17-59.png

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I used to work on 300 mb drives that were the size of large chest fridge and the disks were removable, 10 double side disks on a fixed spindle and weighed around 15 Kg. Head crashes on those were common due to manual changing of disk packs and up to six hours work replacing 20 heads and aligning each. Ah, the good old days. :frusty:
Where they the steam operated ... or new wizz bang kero models

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I saw an article on that awhile ago, they reckoned it was legal but when I looked at similar ages ago it was a no, no in QLD anyway.......just can't remember why but my GCM wouldn't handle it anyway with Big Mal.
Sure solve some problems.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol