Exterior Funky taste in water

May 5, 2014
Hi guys. We have a plastic taste coming from our water tanks. Anyone else suffered this? Will a carbon filter from bunnings help? Cheers

May 5, 2014
Got it sorted. Put a beer bottle of bleach in each tank and filled. Took for a short drive and let sit for 24 hours. Drained, flushed and refilled. Tastes perfect. Been sitting now for 48 hours.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There you go, I was going to suggest something similar, using bleach I would flush it again though..............my suggestion was going to be put a bottle of lemon juice in the tank, top up, go for a run to stir it up drain and then fill it up.

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

jawk

Apr 7, 2016
Yackandandah
Our new 22 has the taste - using the same hoses weve had for the previous two jaycos (no tatse issues).
They were filled up by the dealer and tasted shyte - have rained and refilled still yuk.
Maybe the original fill by the dealer was the source - will draining and flushing with something fix it (wondering if its 'in' the tank plastic now)?
Cheers
Gary

Reactions: bigcol and skippy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Dealer probably used a garden hose sitting in the sun, drain tanks then leave them to dry out then refill with a 100ml of lemon juice per tank, go for drive to slosh things around, run taps and then dump your tanks, should be good then....................alternatively drive to Toowoomba try their water and yours will probably taste good.....................lol.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
We store our Journey tank's full then drain and refill just before leaving, seems to work as if we drink the water left in the tanks it tastes of plastic if we drain and refill all is good.

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep. Bicarbonate has always worked for us. Gets rid of plastic taste and any sediment.

A good half cup in each tank and take the van for a short drive to slosh it....and leave it.

We do the same for home tanks regularly and just leave the bicarbonate to settle...never had a problem on tank water and never use filters.

Water tastes pure and we now can't take chlorinated water so something must be working.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Our new 22 has the taste - using the same hoses weve had for the previous two jaycos (no tatse issues).
They were filled up by the dealer and tasted shyte - have rained and refilled still yuk.
Maybe the original fill by the dealer was the source - will draining and flushing with something fix it (wondering if its 'in' the tank plastic now)?
Cheers
Gary

Try the link below>>

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/water-tank-cleaner.9162/

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
its the polywhatever that they now use to make the tanks

apparently (dont quote me - was told by a mate that used to make rain water tanks) they changed the "Law" with regards to what you could use to make plastic water tanks for Potable water

that and a few other Law changes is the reason why my mate now makes boats

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I reckon, regardless of what you use to remove the initial plastic 'manky' taste from new poly tanks on caravan, that the best trick is to keep the tanks full as much as possible.

Obviously that will affect weights and balance for towing and is not always possible but the less water area is exposed to air the lower the mankiness.

And, if that's not possible and it worries you, then carry a slab of bottled water for drinking and use the other for washing up, showers etc.