From the Dark Side to the Twilight Zone

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have been a forum member for 13 years, joining when we purchased our 14’ Expanda in September 2010. We kept that unit until buying our 18-55 Journey pop top which is still our van behind our BT50.
However times are changing, another birthday last week convinced Mrs CR that I am getting too long in the tooth to be hooking and unhooking caravans as well as dragging them around the country and parking etc. So we have skipped the dark side (vans other than Jayco) and gone over to the Twilight Zone and bought a motor home.
It is a 2019 Fiat Ducatto with only 21,000km on it, unmarked inside and out but needed a polish (now done). We found it in Sydney and flew down, test drove it, purchased then drove it back to the Gold Coast. It performed well and I enjoyed driving it and Mrs CR also had a drive, giving it her tick of approval. I bought the bike rack and fitted that on Saturday as we plan to take our electric bikes to use in place of the tug. We have covered most of Oz where we would be away from towns and now plan to be picky about where we go but hope to be more able to just up and go with no advanced planning.
We are planning to run down to Vic to do the Great Ocean Road which will be a real trial as to whether we can manage the disadvantages of the motor home. If it all goes good there will be a Jayco Journey for sale this side of Christmas and if it is not as we like we still have the van and tug and can sell the MH.
Hopefully we will be able to meet and greet a few members down south on our way.

IMG_3024.jpegIMG_3028.jpegIMG_3029.jpegIMG_3030.jpegIMG_3032.jpegIMG_3033.jpegIMG_3034.jpegIMG_3037.jpegIMG_3021.jpeg

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
I have been a forum member for 13 years, joining when we purchased our 14’ Expanda in September 2010. We kept that unit until buying our 18-55 Journey pop top which is still our van behind our BT50.
However times are changing, another birthday last week convinced Mrs CR that I am getting too long in the tooth to be hooking and unhooking caravans as well as dragging them around the country and parking etc. So we have skipped the dark side (vans other than Jayco) and gone over to the Twilight Zone and bought a motor home.
It is a 2019 Fiat Ducatto with only 21,000km on it, unmarked inside and out but needed a polish (now done). We found it in Sydney and flew down, test drove it, purchased then drove it back to the Gold Coast. It performed well and I enjoyed driving it and Mrs CR also had a drive, giving it her tick of approval. I bought the bike rack and fitted that on Saturday as we plan to take our electric bikes to use in place of the tug. We have covered most of Oz where we would be away from towns and now plan to be picky about where we go but hope to be more able to just up and go with no advanced planning.
We are planning to run down to Vic to do the Great Ocean Road which will be a real trial as to whether we can manage the disadvantages of the motor home. If it all goes good there will be a Jayco Journey for sale this side of Christmas and if it is not as we like we still have the van and tug and can sell the MH.
Hopefully we will be able to meet and greet a few members down south on our way.

View attachment 69434View attachment 69435View attachment 69436View attachment 69437View attachment 69438View attachment 69439View attachment 69440View attachment 69441View attachment 69442
Good luck on the next part of life's journey , I do like driving Mercedes sprinters at my nursing home gig, I always tell the oldies I will turn one into a motorhome one day, see you on the road , ️

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Well, it has happened again. We have purchased another motor home. This time it is a Horizon Casurina and this will be permanent as the Journey leaves for a new home tomorrow. I put it on Marketplace Wednesday last week anby the weekend I had 3 people asking questions. The first guy came out Tuesday, went over it with a fine tooth comb, using a torch to look into corners and cupboards. He left a deposit and is coming tomorrow (Saturdayj) to take it away. Rego and gas check went well but I had to replace the breakaway battery ($60) so all good.
i will post some pics of the MH when I bring it home tomorrow.