Fridge Problem

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
I've searched the forums but can't quite find an answer to this.

I have the 186L fridge in the van. This is the first time I've tried to use the fridge. When on AC the freezer works (thermometer had it at -5.0) but the fridge did not cool down at all. When on GAS both fridge and freezer work. Haven't tried on 12V yet.
So does anyone have any ideas on why only the freezer part would be working? I'm assuming it's not a power issue as the freezer part is fine, although I did check the connections at the back and they seem fine.

Cheers,
Paul.

Reactions: teware

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi Paul.

I find a similar situation with my fridge, but I think I know the answer.

First up, I think the fridge works best on gas, second best on 240Volt, and comes in 3rd for 12 volt power.

As you say, when you turn the fridge on, the first thing you notice is that the freezer begins to ice up. This doesn't take very long on gas, a little longer on 240 Volt. I think the freezer area cools easily because it's a smaller enclosed area.

I think the fridge needs to be full to get cool and stay cool. When the fridge is empty, and you open the door, all the cool air escapes and the outside temperature fills it so easily. There's nothing inside the fridge to hold the cool temp so it all escapes.

Can i suggest that you fill the fridge, even if with bottles of water. I think you'll find that the fridge does actually work as not only will the fridge cool down but the contents inside the fridge will as well. When you have a fridge full of cold contents it's actually easier to keep it cool. So fill up the fridge with drinks, and leave it over night. I`m sure in the morning you'll notice they're all cold.

I'm sure this is the case for you.

As far as 12 volt goes, my personal opinion is that it only holds the fridges temperature, and doesn't really cool it. This seems fine to me, as I usually cool the fridge right down a couple of days before we set off somewhere.

Patto

Jul 14, 2013
Perth
Hi Paul, We only have the standard fridge and have only been out a couple of times. When you put your hand in the fridge when empty it doesn't seem that cold, especially when compared to the fridge at home, but after leaving some drinks and food in for a while it does seem to cool the contents down quite well, even drinks that were at room temperature when they went in. I've only used on gas and 240v, so not sure about 12v (I've been too worried about forgetting the fridge is on and draining the battery). Cheers Patto.

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Thanks heaps for the responses guys. That makes me feel a whole lot better. Will give it a try with a full load and see how she goes.

Aussiecris

Jun 11, 2012
Umina Beach
I'm with @Coastrunner if the freezer works the fridge should work
Make sure your van is level as the fridge doesn't have a compressor to pump refrigerant around, The Ammonia based liquid in it is propelled around purely by heat transfer, Thats why they work best on gas (most heat) , 240v then 12v (240v & 12v are just heating elements)
I always cool down on 240v overnight change to 12v, Left home @4 degrees after 6 hrs of driving its up to about 6 degrees and everything in the freezer still frozen.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
What they said!

I can only add that you need to leave it a good 49hrs if putting drinks in at room temperature

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
The way I understand their operation is on gas the thermostat is not used, but on 12/240 the thermostat is used, hence why they seem to work better on gas, but mine is only the medium sized unit so yours may be different in operation. Maybe a call to Dometic could be useful.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hope it's all good @Paul75, I have the same fridge and it works really well. A while ago it stopped working on AC but worked on gas, it turned out to be a wire pulled out for the thermostat! When I turn our fridge on at home, I fill ice cube trays with water and put in freezer.....the next day we have ice so I know its cold and working!

Reactions: Coastrunner

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
The way I understand their operation is on gas the thermostat is not used, but on 12/240 the thermostat is used, hence why they seem to work better on gas, but mine is only the medium sized unit so yours may be different in operation. Maybe a call to Dometic could be useful.
You are on the right track, gas & 240 are controlled by the thermostat but not the 12v, I know for certain when I have had mine on gas with the thermostat on max every thing in the fridge would freeze, & would not be so cold after turning the thermostat down, then for 12v I always turn it up to max in case the thermostat does operate it, but I believe it don't.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi Paul75,

Agree mostly with previous posts, gas/240ac thermostat controlled, 12vdc no thermostat. We have just arrived back from 10 weeks through the centre and top end, we have the same fridge as you and have to say it didn't miss a beat, freezer ran at between -15 - -20°C even in temps approaching 40°C and high humidity level whether on gas or 240vac, fridge ran at between 1 - 5°C, trich we found was to monitor temps and adjust thermostat or lettuce etc would freeze. Operation on 12vdc was only whilst travelling and with 6mm² cable installed through car and van we found operation extremely good, ice cream in freezer was still rock solid after an 8 hour drive from Banka Banka Station north of Three-ways NT to Mt Isa Qld in 38°C heat with thermostat set at 5 setting. From what I understand the fridges installed in new vans (ours is a Jayco Expanda 18-57.6) are what they call a Tropical Spec, they seem to work so much better than our previous 3-ways did and weren't fazed by the tropical heat and humidity of Darwin, Kakadu & The Daintree.

Dave

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Paul75,

Agree mostly with previous posts, gas/240ac thermostat controlled, 12vdc no thermostat. We have just arrived back from 10 weeks through the centre and top end, we have the same fridge as you and have to say it didn't miss a beat, freezer ran at between -15 - -20°C even in temps approaching 40°C and high humidity level whether on gas or 240vac, fridge ran at between 1 - 5°C, trich we found was to monitor temps and adjust thermostat or lettuce etc would freeze. Operation on 12vdc was only whilst travelling and with 6mm² cable installed through car and van we found operation extremely good, ice cream in freezer was still rock solid after an 8 hour drive from Banka Banka Station north of Three-ways NT to Mt Isa Qld in 38°C heat with thermostat set at 5 setting. From what I understand the fridges installed in new vans (ours is a Jayco Expanda 18-57.6) are what they call a Tropical Spec, they seem to work so much better than our previous 3-ways did and weren't fazed by the tropical heat and humidity of Darwin, Kakadu & The Daintree.

Dave
Thanks for the report Dave
It's good to get a first hand account.
Do you have a 12volt fan fitted to yours?

Reactions: Coastrunner

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria

I researched it a bit better. On gas when the thermostat reaches desired setting it goes to bypass mode (so still working on a lo setting) and on 240V when the desired setting is reached the element switches off completely. 12 V not really mentioned. However this is only for the ones where you have to light the gas manually, for the new electronic ones I am not sure.

Last edited:

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Hi Relgate,

prior to the trip I was considering fitting a couple of computer fans to the vents with thermostatic control but had no time to do so, since doing the trip I don't think I'll bother now based on the our experience.

Dave

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Thanks for all the info guys. Spent the weekend in the van and fridge worked exceptionally well on gas. Was starting to freeze some items on a setting of 5 so had it at 3.5 and it was great. 12v from car also worked well. Just need to try out the 240 this week but I suspect it is fine as mentioned above. Just need to give it more time to cool down and fill it with stuff.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
When on AC I have ours on about 3.5, when on gas you can turn it down 1 point, so about 2.5 and that's what Jayco also told me.....works beautiful :)

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
When on AC I have ours on about 3.5, when on gas you can turn it down 1 point, so about 2.5 and that's what Jayco also told me.....works beautiful :)
Sounds the goods Burnsy, that's pretty much what we did while away only had to be a couple of steps higher due to higher ambient temps.

Dave

Reactions: Burnsy

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
We'll everyone here was right, thanks for the advice. Fridge is working fine on AC, just takes longer than I was expecting to cool down. Is a lot quicker when fully stocked.

Bought a couple of these little thermometers to keep an eye on fridge/freezer temps.
image.jpg

Reactions: gwadir