Free Camps near Newcastle

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Im going to try and drag the Mrs and kids away from the beach for 4 days and have a bush holiday, has anyone got any places within 2 hour of Newcastle that have toilets, river, and allow a fire, and it will be in the middle of school holidays. Ive googled heaps of spots but I still like to hear the +++ and ---- from people that have been there and done it. I almost forgot, I must be able to take the expanda!

Greg

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Greg, what about Mungo or Barrington, haven't been there yet but intend to! Let us know about some of your spots. :)

cheers.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Frying pan creek near Dungog in the chichester state forest, it meets all of your requirements but the toilets are only pit toilets, There are a few other campsites close by in the area, all are much the same e.g. coachwood is across the other side of the river.
I haven't been there during the holidays but I here it gets very busy.
A cheap paid location is ferndale that is also in that general area is also worth a look.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Frying pan creek near Dungog in the chichester state forest, it meets all of your requirements but the toilets are only pit toilets, There are a few other campsites close by in the area, all are much the same e.g. coachwood is across the other side of the river.
I haven't been there during the holidays but I here it gets very busy.
A cheap paid location is ferndale that is also in that general area is also worth a look.

I just went to Fryingpan on the weekend in a tent not the expanda, nice spot the drop toilets are quite clean but it can be a bit of a bike mecca so be prepared for some noise!!!

Coachwood is directly across the creek from fyingpan and has a seperate entrance road and is a better alternative if heading that way as the bikes tend to stay on the Fryingpan side as it provides easier access to the tracks.

Very remote bushy location with a lovely creek and some swimming holes to freshen up!

Mungo brush would probably be my pick though if going for something more family orientated as it has the beach on one side and the river on the other and you are in the bush so to speak.

With Mungo though it can be a bit hit and miss as it can be busy so try to get there a little easier to get a pick of the spots.

Let us know what you decide!!!

Greg

May 31, 2012
Blacksmiths NSW
Thanks for the ideas Burnsey and expanda, thought about all the spots in the Barringtons, but I was googling the spots I know up there and read an interesting article on security, it was saying how national parks employ the local cops to keep an eye on the place in holiday periods, I think Ive been over ruled and looks like where off to Crescent Head, or Point Plummer. Mungo is another top spot but where looking at leaving on Friday the 19th in the middle of the school holidays and I dont think I will get a spot. I think free camping will have to wait till May, Ive got 4 weeks leave and school is back.

Greg