Just Browsing Free Camping - external water pump

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi all. I am going camping on a friends farm over Easter with all of the family.

The property is on the banks of the Hastings River, so I am thinking of buying a little petrol powered water pump to draw water from the river, go through a filter, and then into the mains water inlet of the van, primarily to run the shower.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before ?

Stevie No Issues

May 29, 2014
Geelong
Am looking at one of the 4 stage ro filter setups myself... just remember you need high pressure low volume pumps for them to work properly.
Id be surprised if you'd get the required 40psi from one of those petrol pumps and remember the filters take hours to get any significant volume..ie you get about 10ltrs/hr

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I think @BUSH PALACE runs a twelve volt pump and refills the tanks via a filter.

I'm trying to avoid 12 or 240v electric pumps, more crap to get by the waterside to power them.

I think I have found a little petrol powered pump that fits the bill, can pump 40m head and 120l/min which is more than enough for the van.

Will post the results once I have tried it out

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Picked up the new pump today, and have been running some tests from the swimming pool, and it works great !

The river I'm using over Easter will be very clean so I'm not worrying about filtering at this stage. Will look to add some filtering later for other water sources.

Cost me $550 all up with all the bits, and that's for a genuine Honda motor.

IMG_2352.JPG

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Picked up the new pump today, and have been running some tests from the swimming pool, and it works great !

The river I'm using over Easter will be very clean so I'm not worrying about filtering at this stage. Will look to add some filtering later for other water sources.

View attachment 31134
Nice pump I like the Honda motor, I have two larger fire fighting pumps with Honda motors and they have been going for years nice reliable pumps. I also have a cheap Chinese copy of yours that cost $200 lasted 2years and then stopped, it sits in shed waiting for me to fix it, maybe one day. So I will stick to Honda motors on pumps.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Nice pump I like the Honda motor, I have two larger fire fighting pumps with Honda motors and they have been going for years nice reliable pumps. I also have a cheap Chinese copy of yours that cost $200 lasted 2years and then stopped, it sits in shed waiting for me to fix it, maybe one day. So I will stick to Honda motors on pumps.

I considered the Chinese ones, but for something that will more than likley last for many years, I think the Honda was a good investment.

3 year warranty on the engine, 5 years on the pump.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle

View attachment 31134
Hi Bellbirdweb, like the pump set up, just wondering where you purchased it from as we are interested in something similar.
Thanks Colin

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
I'm trying to avoid 12 or 240v electric pumps, more crap to get by the waterside to power them.

I think I have found a little petrol powered pump that fits the bill, can pump 40m head and 120l/min which is more than enough for the van.

Will post the results once I have tried it out
Fair enough @Bellbirdweb I went that way so I didn't have to carry extra fuel and weight in a pump of that size, I have solar and batteries with power to spare.

Dave

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I used the pump over Easter hand it worked really well.

It was pumping up around 10m from a river, and I connected a garden hose directly between the pump and the inlet to the van.

I switched off the water pump and had sufficient pressure to run the shower, meaning the whole family could have as long a shower as they wanted without worrying about emptying the tanks.

The system worked well, so it will be part of the standard regime when free camping near a water source now.

Probably the only negative is that the pump is a bit noisy, but it was only running for short periods of time for showering, the rest of the time we just used the tanks from the pump in the van.

Reactions: relgate

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I used the pump over Easter hand it worked really well.

It was pumping up around 10m from a river, and I connected a garden hose directly between the pump and the inlet to the van.

I switched off the water pump and had sufficient pressure to run the shower, meaning the whole family could have as long a shower as they wanted without worrying about emptying the tanks.

The system worked well, so it will be part of the standard regime when free camping near a water source now.

Probably the only negative is that the pump is a bit noisy, but it was only running for short periods of time for showering, the rest of the time we just used the tanks from the pump in the van.
Fantastic. Is the pump pressure sensing/auto on?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW

View attachment 31134
$550 is seems much cheaper than their Internet price....?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Fantastic. Is the pump pressure sensing/auto on?

Alas no, I was the pressure sensor and starter.

The only thing I needed to watch was if the flow was stopped and I didn't drop the revs or turn it off, the water heated very quickly, so I might need to look at a pressure relief valve to keep it recirculating when not flowing into the van.