Electrical Found another birds nest

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
We haven't particularly enjoyed the radio that was fitted in that it's too complicated to turn on and off and the radio reception is poor. I decided to try to simplify it and the first step was to remove the old one. Eventually managed to figure out where the clips were that held it in the metal cage then the surprise happened.

2nd birdsnest.jpg

They certainly didn't believe in keeping wires short and the radio ones were tangled in amongst the Drifter ones. Notice the AA battery above the Drifter panel as that was rolling around in the back of the opening. I have a much more basic old car radio (cassette style) that always used to have pretty good reception and will see if it performs better. Don't care about the cassette part, but at least it has a proper on/off knob and basic functions.

As well I can now see why I couldn't figure out how the panel the radio and Drifter are mounted in is held in place. Need to figure out next how the Drifter can be removed to get to the top clips for the panel and decide how to make better use of the area. In the cupboard to the right is the TV output and amplifier mounted to the side of the Drifter/radio section and it's a pain having it in there. The door has to stay open to get the antenna cable plugged in there. Can't understand why it wasn't fitted near the TV mounting area.

BTW, the first birds nest was the mess of cabling under the van and seems to be the main interconnecting point, yet it's in an area quite exposed to water/dust/stones/heat.

Probably another mess under the fridge area. Having owned a Range Rover for 35 years I'd say Jayco's wiring expert used to work for Land Rover back around when it was made.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
My work life (paid variety) was based around low voltage DC and dammed if I know how anyone can make it look so hard to do it effectively, neatly, to a good quality, not even supply a wiring diagram of a useful nature to the Customer and make it look like a wiring diagram wasn't used to connect it all.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Jayco must have got the female yellow spade terminals on special as they use the spade terminals as wire joiners, Who does that?

Also to remove the drifter control panel just slide it up and it will come off the bracket.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Jayco must have got the female yellow spade terminals on special as they use the spade terminals as wire joiners, Who does that?

Also to remove the drifter control panel just slide it up and it will come off the bracket.
Well at least they bothered to crimp them. Could have just twisted them together and taped them.
I'll try the Drifter again later, thanks.