Electrical Folding Solar Blankets

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
G'day folks,

Just after some info on solar blankets from people that have them/used them.
We are planning a trip next year where we will need to power a 12v Waeco 50ltr fridge for at least a week free camping. We do not have a second battery in the car and they are not available yet (Ford Everest) or I would go that way. Am looking at Projecta or maybe Super Cheap brand Ridge Rider, around the 120w-150w mark. Any feed back appreciated.

Cheers
greynt

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Horrendously expensive for what you get,
If it were me I would buy a portable battery and a 120 normal folding unit.
The portable battery can be charged by the car whilst driving and topped up by the solar when you are stopped

Looks like they are bringing in a new version of this but at this price it is a bargain
http://www.getawaeco.com.au/index.php?com=com_products&action=view&itemid=10
RAPS36_GAW.jpg

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
As @NoWorries has said, very expensive when compared to other options, but I have used a couple of different flexible panels.

I have a couple of 45w panels that fold up to the size of an A4 piece of paper, but they cost $1200.

We have been looking at there https://www.rolasolar.com.au/flexible-solar-panels.html at work as a possible solution for decent output in a small package, but again, very costly.

Reactions: JaycoQ and greynt

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I agree with @NoWorries - while my knowledge of Solar is very minimal,

the cost effectiveness of the folding panels because of your projected usage is not as good as getting the portable battery and folding panel

(plus you have the added advantage of a "jumper" battery for those infrequent times you may need it)

Reactions: greynt and dagree

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Thanks everyone for the replies, I will keep investigating my options, but the battery pack sounds liks the way to go.

Cheers
greynt

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
There is no way one of those Weaco 36amp portable power units will power a 50lt fridge for a week regardless of the solar panels you have. You need to give us some more info on what you currently have, a 120amp/hr battery and a 120w set of panels will do what you want to do easily.

I have this set up in my Expanda and I can go for around 4-5 days running the van and a 40lt Engel before the battery starts getting near the magic 12v mark.