Five In A Starcraft 17.58.3 OB Van Plus Dog

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
@FiveInAVan , I have been following your wait for the new van. Must be great to finally have it! Congratulations!

I too have an 17.58.3 OB on order, due off the line end of July. Question... is the toilet cassette hatch covered by the awning leg, meaning that you have to unclip the leg off the wall to open the hatch and empty to the toilet?

From what I can tell, the fibreglass walled vans appear to have the hatch clearing the awning leg, while the aluminium vans (which is what I have ordered too) seem to have the issue of clearance.

I have just signed off on the confirmation for our new van, and it has been noted that the awning leg should clear the hatch, however I am not convinced that it will arrive that way... time will tell.

Reactions: FiveInAVan

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Our sook found a new spot on the weekend too. Don't know what we'll do when he's fully grown though?
WP_20160612_18_29_23_Pro.jpg

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Talking of K-mart ,did you get a colapsable dish drainer for $10.Camping stores much more expensive.Love mine.
Congratulations on new van .You will love all the good times in it and your pooch as well.Our dog just loves to get away with us

Pauly

Aug 25, 2013
Bugger about the leak, but at least ya found it before it was dribbling on someone's nose during the night!! Gotta be an easy fix. Sorry to here youse are crook, hopefully your all fighting fit in no time and away in the van with smile from ear to ear !!!

megcam

I have just signed off on the confirmation for our new van, and it has been noted that the awning leg should clear the hatch, however I am not convinced that it will arrive that way... time will tell.

I think what happens on the production line is despite whatever the plans say 'Laurel' sikaflexes and rivets some sail track along the roof and then 'Hardy' follows up by slipping the awning in to a point that 'seems about right' and then tek screws the awning to the wall.

Seriously it is an annoyance but it's not hard to unclip the leg to open the door if the last place you stayed at didn't have a dump point.

Loving the look of these 2016 vans.

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
I think what happens on the production line is despite whatever the plans say 'Laurel' sikaflexes and rivets some sail track along the roof and then 'Hardy' follows up by slipping the awning in to a point that 'seems about right' and then tek screws the awning to the wall.

Seriously it is an annoyance but it's not hard to unclip the leg to open the door if the last place you stayed at didn't have a dump point.

Loving the look of these 2016 vans.
Thanks @megcam , I think you are right about the process. Being such a large production line, and having heaps of different people involved in the build leaves many items up for interpretation. I can't imagine every single worker reading every plan for every van! :)

I will find out soon enough, but as you say no big deal either way.

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
@FiveInAVan , I have been following your wait for the new van. Must be great to finally have it! Congratulations!

I too have an 17.58.3 OB on order, due off the line end of July. Question... is the toilet cassette hatch covered by the awning leg, meaning that you have to unclip the leg off the wall to open the hatch and empty to the toilet?

From what I can tell, the fibreglass walled vans appear to have the hatch clearing the awning leg, while the aluminium vans (which is what I have ordered too) seem to have the issue of clearance.

Nope it does not clear the hatch in our van. But being our first van I don't think it will be an issue. I wouldn't have known any different except for it being mentioned on here. And while I specified the drifter control NOT be in the bunk (which it isn't ) the battery monitor is. But I guess this was just a space issue. Kids have already touched it and pushed the buttons 10 times even though were warned not to!
Great to hear of another Starcraft joining our crew. Hope the next month flies for you!

Last edited:

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
Bugger about the leak, but at least ya found it before it was dribbling on someone's nose during the night!! Gotta be an easy fix. Sorry to here youse are crook, hopefully your all fighting fit in no time and away in the van with smile from ear to ear !!!
Very true! Only our wonderful sales guy has gone MIA a day after handover so will need to phone the office and find out what we need to do to get it sorted and who can help me. Hope he didn't quit or get the sack! He was pretty distracted at handover but I thought that was just the mad rush to catch up after the Show :o

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
So thought I'd share what I have done for our bed conversion for others who were looking at movable bed options. I worked out the conversion is about the size of a King Single (conversion is a bit shorter in length but same width). Being a bit on the hard size I bought a foam mattress topper from Target. I worked out the Queen size was perfect to cut in half and fit exactly. This way I have extra softness with two layers as it isn't super thick.
20160617_094259.jpg
So using a King Single Mattress Protector to hold the two foam toppers in place (queen topper cut in half) I now have a movable top for the conversion which can be removed and rolled up and the table put back in it's place during the day if we need to. It is slightly longer than the bed but I decided not to cut it to fit as I figure it will offer a bit of protection to the seat cushions and prevent dirty feet staining it.
20160617_094515.jpg
I bought king single sheets (one fitted and a flat) and am using the double bed doona that came with the van (as I put a queen on the double bed for extra width and less chance of being cold due to doona hogs:p The topper also solved the issue of not being able to use a fitted sheet on the bed conversion cushions. Ours is very tight, I think they made the middle cushion a tad too big.

bloke

Apr 25, 2016
Bendigo
Nope it does not clear the hatch in our van. But being our first van I don't think it will be an issue. I wouldn't have known any different except for it being mentioned on here. And while I specified the drifter control NOT be in the bunk (which it isn't ) the battery monitor is. But I guess this was just a space issue. Kids have already touched it and pushed the buttons 10 times even though were warned not to!
Great to hear of another Starcraft joining our crew. Hope the next month flies for you!
I have also requested that the solar regulator be on the kitchen side of the fridge, and not on the bunk side. Hopefully they may be able to follow through with this request, as I haven't got a control panel in our order, and therefore more space perhaps?

Mind you, I've seen a few vans with drifter panel and solar regulator next to each other on the kitchen side of the fridge.

Time will tell!

Hope your new van is living up to expectations.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
our old 17.58 and our 22.68 with Drifter do not have a battery switch as the switch was on the drifter.
The switch we had was for hot water which was next to it. If the switch is for the battery maybe they can remove it and replace the panel.
Or you can use the whole for a 12v

Although ours had the sink and stove swapped
upload_2016-6-17_19-38-38.png

@mfexpanda yes you know the Alcohol is safe with me.. Those chips :) well :)