Firestone AirBags Anyone Used Them?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Yep got them on the Pajero, though mine fitted by ARB, good bit off kit, I also had them on my previous Pathfinder, did have 3 warranty claims with them on the Pathfinder but was never an issue getting it sorted. 1 was a fault in the batch other 2 claims the airline ripped out due to incorrect fitting
No issue with what so ever with the set on the Pajero

Last edited:

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
Firestone Airbags are what the Airbag Man uses, although they rebrand them i think. So they are fairly mainstream. Airbag man has a good rep in Brisbane anyway.

With just picking up our new car, they wanted about 300 for a set, i got mine from the US for about 180 landed through a recommended site from LCOOL. They are identical to the Airbag man.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Yep had them in the Cruiser no issues here other than damaging one out in the High Country with a stray stick.

I have done an install thread on here too

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I had poly's in the Paj, didn't really need them with the springs and they were noisy. I would definitely use the carbon fibre bags next time but so far on the a cruiser haven't needed them so haven't installed them

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Airbag man is just a company that sells a lot of brands of bags. I have bought all mine in the past there and they are the Firestone ones. The very latest that they offer, and not many people know about it, is a canvas style bag that the air bag goes in first before going into the spring.

The benefit of this is that you can double the maximum pressure in the bag. Without them, they are good for 30 psi. With them, 60 psi. They are only a few extra bucks for the covers but definitely worth it, especially if you are running factory springs, but also worth it in anycase.

Link to what I am refering to here http://www.airbagworld.com.au/firestone-heavy-duty-coil-rite-airbag-suspension-kit-.html

Last edited:

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I have those in my pathfinder, I haven't had any problems with them they seem to work as they should, the reason I chose them over the poly airs was primarily because of the air line connection, I liked that the firestone connection is recessed into the bag & can be removed later if need be without cutting the line off

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Had both the poly airbag's and now the Firestones on the RG Colorado. The Firestones are very heavy duty compared to the poly airbag's, but never the less I have the polys in the Pajero I used to own for 5 years and they never missed a beat.
With air bags and Weight distribution hitch I find the tow on the van is far smother and less bumpy. Would be without either now when is comes to towing any sort of van over 2 tone.

Either one I don't think you can go wrong with.

Skip

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Fitted the airbags today. Made a massive difference in the handling and general feel of the ride with the expanda on the back.
Money well spent IMO. Almost the best part of it was taking my girlfriend around the block with the van attached and her telling me if done the right thing in spending the money on them :)

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Once you're had airbags you won't go without when towing.
Are you still using you WDH as well?
Yeah, I can't believe how much it firmed up the ride. It really took the bounce out.
As this is our first van and first heavy tow, I don't have a WDH and don't see a need for them now anyway so we'll just go with the airbags.
Cheers,
Paul

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
One tip is not to over inflate when towing as you still want a bit of suspension give in the rear. If they are a bit firm it can create a bit of bump steer on uneven roads.

Yes its a bit of trial and error and even a couple of psi can make a difference.