Starcraft Finally Starcraft 22.68-1 OB

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
have not put a bike on as yet..been busy working since I got back late Monday :) Might tomorrow weather depending as now working from home.
Happy so far.. would of liked a outback although the Touring will do :) A lot lower then our JTech 17" height wise even underslung.
Towed home ok.. felt trucks never really did with the 17"..Length and height might be the cause.. or suspension. :)
We still have to set it up a lot more storage then the 17" inside.. We never used all the 17's :)

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
have not put a bike on as yet..been busy working since I got back late Monday :) Might tomorrow weather depending as now working from home.
Happy so far.. would of liked a outback although the Touring will do :) A lot lower then our JTech 17" height wise even underslung.
Towed home ok.. felt trucks never really did with the 17"..Length and height might be the cause.. or suspension. :)
We still have to set it up a lot more storage then the 17" inside.. We never used all the 17's :)
Well it's a big rig so bound to notice it a little more I suppose. We have the outback with 15 inch wheels coming, and with it being so long and tall I reckon we will be sticking to 90 Kay's. Might need to get some audio books to pass the travelling time! 7 weeks and counting!

Reactions: davemc

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Well it's a big rig so bound to notice it a little more I suppose. We have the outback with 15 inch wheels coming, and with it being so long and tall I reckon we will be sticking to 90 Kay's. Might need to get some audio books to pass the travelling time! 7 weeks and counting!

I think you'll be surprised how well they can tow, we have a ball weight about 300kg and use a Hayman reese WDH and the thing tows amazingly well, we tow at 100km/h all day no worries. It almost tows too well in that on long runs you almost forget it's there and become a little complacent.

Reactions: Smirke

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
I think you'll be surprised how well they can tow, we have a ball weight about 300kg and use a Hayman reese WDH and the thing tows amazingly well, we tow at 100km/h all day no worries. It almost tows too well in that on long runs you almost forget it's there and become a little complacent.
Thanks that is good to hear that it will tow so well. Did you ever tow it without the wdh? We have a current model Colorado dual cab, and the dealer reckoned a wdh wasn't strictly necessary? Would appreciate your opinion! . Today I must attend the dealer to confirm the final details for the order as the build is set to begin shortly! Exciting times!

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
Thanks that is good to hear that it will tow so well. Did you ever tow it without the wdh? We have a current model Colorado dual cab, and the dealer reckoned a wdh wasn't strictly necessary? Would appreciate your opinion! . Today I must attend the dealer to confirm the final details for the order as the build is set to begin shortly! Exciting times!

Good morning. I did tow it just the other day into the warranty agent without the WDH and although it still feel ok it was very noticeably different, the pitching of the van was evident and you could feel the steering was lighter and became lighter when going over a rough section of road.

I know some say you don't need them or they don't like them but in my opinion with a van as big and heavy as ours I wouldn't not use one, it makes for a very smooth and relaxing drive instead of a twitchy car you have to constantly monitor and correct. I got a second hand Hayman reese kit off gumtree that had barely been used for $200 so worth doing.

Gilmorehappy

Jul 7, 2015
Newcastle
Good morning. I did tow it just the other day into the warranty agent without the WDH and although it still feel ok it was very noticeably different, the pitching of the van was evident and you could feel the steering was lighter and became lighter when going over a rough section of road.

I know some say you don't need them or they don't like them but in my opinion with a van as big and heavy as ours I wouldn't not use one, it makes for a very smooth and relaxing drive instead of a twitchy car you have to constantly monitor and correct. I got a second hand Hayman reese kit off gumtree that had barely been used for $200 so worth doing.
That's a great tip about finding a used item. Your advice is appreciated from me as a newbie!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
@Gilmorehappy some pics of one bike up.. its a little bit of a lift to get it so high

29612-0d88faeefc06e35ad6538ff2092e818c.jpg29614-88751971673da415031a5a8599c932ee.jpg

Reactions: dagree

Willow4

Sep 27, 2015
Newcastle, NSW
I will post a picture after pickup for you.. Yes excited.
So got them to check 12v on all bunks. great I do not have to do it
None main bed end :( So one job for me
Battery under the bed and HWS/pump under dinette.
As we brought stock we did not have a chance to move things.. Would of liked a power point down bunk end of kitchen. Has anyone added one?
So exciting that you have your van. We ordered a power point where you are thinking, left of sink towards bunk beds. Hopefully it'll be the home for the Thermomix!!! Happy hour cocktails etc. Van due off line on 21st Oct

Reactions: mfexpanda

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
Well picked the van, very happy with Jayco and especially the jayco Sydney team. Had a problem with brake controller, so they delivered it today to us.

Everything was done as requested, overall a happy customer!

Attachments

• IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    422.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    431.3 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 296

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
looks fantastic I like the sides on it and your gone different doors.
Not sure why the TV stuff comes from side of the cupboard now ours is underneath.

Oh leather so so nice.. enjoy looks great.
Enjoy hope your brake controller is fixed.. what are you towing it with?

IBIS looks great as well would of option for that if we did a build,.. I would of spent so much more $'s :)

Reactions: Gilmorehappy

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
Dave,

The towpro is wired incorrectly i think (installed by others) i have Jayco's sparkie coming to have a look at it for me. It heart breaking having to leave the van there on pick day, but its home now.

At the moment a Navara STX-550. Next year when lease is up either Ranger, Disco or a Jeep, don't ask how i came up with that list.

Anyone that's interested, the Tare is 2548 and ATM is 3148. We will pack light until the car changeover next year.

Reactions: Gilmorehappy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Dave,

The towpro is wired incorrectly i think (installed by others) i have Jayco's sparkie coming to have a look at it for me. It heart breaking having to leave the van there on pick day, but its home now.

At the moment a Navara STX-550. Next year when lease is up either Ranger, Disco or a Jeep, don't ask how i came up with that list.

Anyone that's interested, the Tare is 2548 and ATM is 3148. We will pack light until the car changeover next year.
You have a mighty Navara STX 550 man ..... what horrible horrible crisis has happened to make you choose to downgrade :(. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
You have a mighty Navara STX 550 man ..... what horrible horrible crisis has happened to make you choose to downgrade :(. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time

I know when i test drove it against the competition it was no contest. Love the car has been great, its a shame the new navara is such a disappointment for towing purposes. Only 300kg on the ball and losing 400kg from payload.

stucati

Jan 12, 2015
Sydney
wonder how much more the sides add to weight? Did they tell you on ordering

No they didn't, if someone with an OB with similar specs can post their tare we could work it out roughly at least. I'd say no more than 75-100kg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I know when i test drove it against the competition it was no contest. Love the car has been great, its a shame the new navara is such a disappointment for towing purposes. Only 300kg on the ball and losing 400kg from payload.
Yes, bit sad about the new one. Non 550 owners just don't get the awesomeness of the Nav, do they?? I bought the last one, so a few happy years ahead ... likely followed by the "also ran" trail of disappointment when I need to trade her in on some new sub standard pillock

Last edited: