Finally Purchased an Expanda so now an Owner Member

richard

Jun 9, 2011
After much deliberating my wife, 4 kids and I are now owners of a 2009 16.49.2 Outback. For all of those wondering the modifications etc they are as follows.

Wineguard antenna, 150L fridge, clothesline, outdoor table, annex with an extended awning, battery (which has been moved from original Jayco position to allow for more storage space) CD/Stereo Player, TV/DVD Player, (with outside mount) Dual DVD player (additional to TV) which hang over the beds on purpose built arms, extra gas bottle, extra side table mounted next to sink which comes up and down to add to bench space. Inside table has been removed and replace with some chrome folding legs so the table can be moved outside if needed. This also allows for more room inside. 2 x pole carriers mounted behind the the rear wheels, slide out draws under bed x 2. This allows easier access to this area. Shelves inside the wardrobe, the jack has been moved and mounted under the bed/couch out of the way. Extra pot drawer instead of microwave. Microwave instead sits on bed whilst travelling (strapped in) and then sits above A/C when set up.

I think that is it for now. A couple of questions though for you seasoned expanda travellers.

1. Has anyone ever seen/heard of the mounting hitch being moved higher? The previous owners have welded a plate onto the A-frame to mount the coupling higher?

2. What do people do in regards to the fridge when not in use? Can it stay closed, or does it have to be slightly open for mould etc issues?

3. What are people's thoughts about having the stabiliser legs either straight up and down or at a slight angle? Is one better than the other?

4. Does anyone have an inverter along with their batteries to be able to run power points whilst camping? Good/bad points about these?

5. How do people find towing there expanda? Do many use stabiliser bars? and what sort of fuel economy do people get?

Well that is all for now, looking forward to getting out and about in it. Unfortunately that will probably not be until our 3 weeks in September/October.

Thanks all in advance for your advice and assistance.

Triton

Aug 4, 2011
Moama, NSW
Nice work Richard....congrats on the new van......can't help you with too many of your questions yet as we pick ours (16.49-2) up tomorrow!......we previously had an Outback Swan and had no trouble with leaving the fridge door closed....longest it we went without using it would have been 6 weeks....enjoy your new baby!:dance:

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
After much deliberating my wife, 4 kids and I are now owners of a 2009 16.49.2 Outback. For all of those wondering the modifications etc they are as follows.

Wineguard antenna, 150L fridge, clothesline, outdoor table, annex with an extended awning, battery (which has been moved from original Jayco position to allow for more storage space) CD/Stereo Player, TV/DVD Player, (with outside mount) Dual DVD player (additional to TV) which hang over the beds on purpose built arms, extra gas bottle, extra side table mounted next to sink which comes up and down to add to bench space. Inside table has been removed and replace with some chrome folding legs so the table can be moved outside if needed. This also allows for more room inside. 2 x pole carriers mounted behind the the rear wheels, slide out draws under bed x 2. This allows easier access to this area. Shelves inside the wardrobe, the jack has been moved and mounted under the bed/couch out of the way. Extra pot drawer instead of microwave. Microwave instead sits on bed whilst travelling (strapped in) and then sits above A/C when set up.

I think that is it for now. A couple of questions though for you seasoned expanda travellers.

1. Has anyone ever seen/heard of the mounting hitch being moved higher? The previous owners have welded a plate onto the A-frame to mount the coupling higher?I am going to do this next week as our van sits high at the front on the back of a Pathy. Getting the plate from Jayco ACT

2. What do people do in regards to the fridge when not in use? Can it stay closed, or does it have to be slightly open for mould etc issues?We leave the door open when not in use. We didnt once on our Eagle and it got mould. We did get a little plastic thingy to hold the door open when not in use

3. What are people's thoughts about having the stabiliser legs either straight up and down or at a slight angle? Is one better than the other?We do them straight down, only becuase i am lazy as it is less to wind :becky:

4. Does anyone have an inverter along with their batteries to be able to run power points whilst camping? Good/bad points about these?No so cant answer

5. How do people find towing there expanda? Do many use stabiliser bars? and what sort of fuel economy do people get?We didnt have stabalisers at first and found it a swayed a bit. I have airbags in the Pathy, along with the WDH hitch it is a major imprivement. I would recommend it. Our Pathy is a series 4 T/D auto and uses around the 11l/100ks, but if i give it or in hilly areas it may go to 12.

Well that is all for now, looking forward to getting out and about in it. Unfortunately that will probably not be until our 3 weeks in September/October.
Hope that helps
Cheers

1. Has anyone ever seen/heard of the mounting hitch being moved higher? The previous owners have welded a plate onto the A-frame to mount the coupling higher?I am going to do this next week as our van sits high at the front on the back of a Pathy. Getting the plate from Jayco ACT

2. What do people do in regards to the fridge when not in use? Can it stay closed, or does it have to be slightly open for mould etc issues?We leave the door open when not in use. We didnt once on our Eagle and it got mould. We did get a little plastic thingy to hold the door open when not in use

3. What are people's thoughts about having the stabiliser legs either straight up and down or at a slight angle? Is one better than the other?We do them straight down, only becuase i am lazy as it is less to wind

4. Does anyone have an inverter along with their batteries to be able to run power points whilst camping? Good/bad points about these?No so cant answer

5. How do people find towing there expanda? Do many use stabiliser bars? and what sort of fuel economy do people get?We didnt have stabalisers at first and found it a swayed a bit. I have airbags in the Pathy, along with the WDH hitch it is a major imprivement. I would recommend it. Our Pathy is a series 4 T/D auto and uses around the 11l/100ks, but if i give it or in hilly areas it may go to 12.

Hope that helps
Cheers

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Thought of another question.

6. What sort of power cable do I use? Do I need a 15amp one or will a 10amp one do? If I use a 15amp one at home will I need a specific power point for it?

Help would be great. Thanks

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW

6. What sort of power cable do I use? Do I need a 15amp one or will a 10amp one do? If I use a 15amp one at home will I need a specific power point for it?

hi Richard

yes you need a 15 amp lead, it's the requirement for all van parks and your van is built with a 15 amp inlet, at home a dedicated 15amp power point would be handy, but you can get around it by using http://www.ampfibian.com.au/products.htm

I have the original version, which to a little bulkier than this one.

Reactions: richard

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
4. Does anyone have an inverter along with their batteries to be able to run power points whilst camping? Good/bad points about these?

Hi Richard welcome to the forum. Inverters are by nature very heavy current users. If you intend to use one regularly you will need to add extra batteries and a decent solar setup as well. In general it is better to use devices on 12v where possible. If you have a need to run 240v items a lot I would think a small generator would be the best idea.

Reactions: richard

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
When we were staying at Burra C/P a guy there had a 10amp lead with 15 amp plugs on it and wondered why he had no power in his van and thought there was a fault with the power on his site. To cut a long story short my 15amp lead powered his van so it was his lead incorrect use of a 10amp lead

A 15 amp lead is required, as Bushman also mentioned.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney

Hey,

We got an outdoor 15 amp power point put in near the van spot, just a matter of plugging in. Cost about the $300 mark from memory

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
yes you need a 15 amp lead, it's the requirement for all van parks and your van is built with a 15 amp inlet, at home a dedicated 15amp power point would be handy, but you can get around it by using http://www.ampfibian.com.au/products.htm

If you can't, or don't want, a 15 amp power point at home this is another way around the problem.

I had a sparky mate put a 10 amp male plug onto a short (30cm) lead with a 15 amp female at the other end. Definitely not recommended for long term use but if you are just running power to the van at home for a couple of hours to charge the battery/pre cool fridge etc then it works well and is a very cheap option.

I would think though that if you have a good permanent, covered place to store your van, a properly installed 15 amp point is probably the most common sense option.
Stew