Exterior Extra water Storage in Tow vehicle with expandable bladder

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
exciting times! @burnsie , no pressure or anything, but now it's me and @Crusty181 who will be relying on your road condition reports. Plus the camping spot reports.

When are you planning on being there @Crusty181 ?
Probably around June'ish. But that will depend on what we find, like and hate between Jurien Bay and Derby over the next few months

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
IMG_0563.jpeg

Water storage bladder arrived this week and attached is a photo of it unpacked and a couple of photos of it fitted and filled. The cable ties will be replaced and adjusted when we have done a bit of a drive and the carpet (to prevent rubbing) will be trimmed.

Filled it this arvo and will leave it overnight and then take for a drive tomorrow to see if anything exciting happens. When we get home we will empty it and see what its actual capacity is in buckets (10l buckets). Because it is custom made it is not a standard size we expect its capacity to be above 60l and below 100l, hopefully about 80l to 90l.

IMG_0564.jpeg

IMG_0566.jpeg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh what a game person to have that in the cab, having carried military grade bladders for fuel and water, well I don't trust them at all.....90 kgs maybe is a lot.......................I know I sound like I belong on that other site, BUT do you put the seat belts over it ??? It would certainly smack your head hard in a prang.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Testing complete and bladder is installed. Maybe in future I will not put up images while I am doing something only when I have finished the install. Moving on.

Just finished installing the bladder and filled it and took it for a test drive of about 40km to Bungendore and back.

The bladder holds about 95l it can hold more but it looks "comfortable" with 95l. The weight of the water is taken through its base on the the floor and the cable ties are really only to stop it moving around and the bladder only really leans against the cargo barrier. The two black straps are completely around the the bladder and provide extra strength laterally and help the bladder retain its shape, the straps are made of seatbelt material and are very strong.

I have secured the black straps to the cargo barrier with 2000kg climbing tape and just to make sure have hooked the two back seat belts into a 2000kg carabiner. The potential load on these restraints will be far less than their rating even in a collision or rollover. In the unlikely case of a very severe collision that will break the restraints the bladder probably will rupture as will my internal organs and it will no longer matter.

Also the bladder and straps with carpet cover fold up behind the rear seats and will only be used when needed for bush camping.
IMG_0569.jpeg
IMG_0572.jpeg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Now you've gone to all that trouble, you'll never need to use it!

Was there any sway feeling while driving from the water rolling around? Any noise/ slurp?

How much water do you now have available for bush camping! Max days?

Sorry for all the questions...but I'm curious and comparing it with what we reckon we need for about 10 days.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Now you've gone to all that trouble, you'll never need to use it!

Was there any sway feeling while driving from the water rolling around? Any noise/ slurp?

How much water do you now have available for bush camping! Max days?

Sorry for all the questions...but I'm curious and comparing it with what we reckon we need for about 10 days.

It did make sloshing noises and we did feel like we needed to have a pee, but it was not too bad, the minimal movement of the water was ok as it was low down and in front of rear axel. You knew it was there, but in my opinion sway was not a problem.

We already have 160l of water on our van and also usually carry 50l in Jerry's, with two showers every day and using flushing toilet as required we now will have about 5 to 6 days without water conservation. Drinking water was never a problem, it mostly was toilet and showers that ran out after 2 to 3 days. The bladder will add 2 to 3 days of luxury showers, etc. Also we can fill the bladder from dams, creeks (we have a 12v portable pump) or nearby towns and ferry water back to the van.

It is suppose to be OK, but we would be reluctant to use the bladder for drinking water because it is made of PVC and most likely will have an after taste, we plan to only use to fill our main 100l water tank not our 60l drinking water tank.

We do not have room or weight allowance for another water tank on the van, so this is s compromise, but I think it will work ok.

Reactions: Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds far better than the cost weight etc of an extra water tank just to have the extra available on odd occasions.

I'm just a bit wary of the potential piercing of the bladder on rough roads...but time will tell and I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

Just as a comparison (and everyone is different) we fill our two tanks before going bush...160 litres....add two 25 litre portable bottles (Jerry can size) and a slab or two of Coles or Costco water bottles for drinking.

We can get two good showers from the 22l heated, toilet flush tank is 20 litres and lasts about 3/5 days, washing up etc takes about half to one litre at a time.

So that gives us our 10 days .....and, as it always rains when we go away, we supplement that with harvested water from the awning. Last trip was 10 days bush and we came back with tanks over half full...and, yes, it did rain.

I think we'd still be ok, if a bit dirty, without the harvested water.

Anyway, I like trying out new ideas so good luck with it.

:bathbaby::bathbaby::bathbaby::bathbaby:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Didn't notice the seats were folded down in original pic, it does want you want so all is good, now if you bought a cab chassis truck, 5 jerry's of water job done...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now get out and test it in real time, I wouldn't have one as I would be stopping every few miles for someone to go walkies I think, sloshing water bottle gets her going...........................Looks like we will be in Canberra for a couple of weeks late October so if your around we can check it out and have a few laughs.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh yeah post early always with pics, otherwise you miss out on all the informative comments and drivvel from the rest of us..............plus there can be the odd helpful hint that can save all sorts of drama................................also makes it easier for us to copy your work.

Bourbon kicking in now, I've decided I want one for my next trip to the vineyards, could you imagine.......a FWD Wine cask.......................classic.

jawk

Apr 7, 2016
Yackandandah
Just been reading this - what have people been using as a transfer pump?
Am going to get a bladder for when we are parked up and need to "go get" water and refill the tanks - just need a solution for transfering to the Jayco water tanks...
Thanks in advance,
Gary

Reactions: yabbietol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I use an ALDI drill pump works very well and quickly and hasn't failed me yet................handy being portable. Can't find the pic of it though buried in my van thread somewhere ???

Reactions: Smergen

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Same here. Aldi pump attached to 12v drill.

I did consider a Jiggler but saw the drill attachment and now use it for multiple jobs. Just remember to attach it to a fixed board or similar otherwise you turn into a flying kite that swears.

Done that....once.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Just been reading this - what have people been using as a transfer pump?
Am going to get a bladder for when we are parked up and need to "go get" water and refill the tanks - just need a solution for transfering to the Jayco water tanks...
Thanks in advance,
Gary
I use a spare caravan 12V water pump which is set up for pumping water out of creeks, jerry cans and buckets, to fill the caravan's water tanks. The pump is fitted with a length of caravan water hose on the outlet. The hose is just connected to the inlet of the water tank just like connecting in a caravan park.
The simplest approach is park tow car near caravan water tank inlet and allow bladder to drain by gravity into a bucket and then pump from bucket into water tank. This is usually easier than connecting pump directly to bladder.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Terry