18' Series Extra powerpoints

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
i got extra in the kitchen. Then you have charging stations for kids games, iPods, iPads, etc. it's easier to have a few points otherwise you end up having power boards everywhere (which we still do, but not nearly as many). I got another one outside and by the kids beds.

It's like your house. Better to overestimate and get them and never use them, rather that not get them and wish you had.

Reactions: Smergen and dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Depends how many are standard with van.

240v ... We got 5 doubles as standard (and extra outside) and sufficient
12v.....we got 4 as standard (and extra outside) but had 2 extras added to charge toys...phones, iPads, etc etc

Found that enough for our needs....if that helps.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Generally the 240v and 12v are functional but to a minimum and sometimes not located where they would serve you best. Your not missing anything, your just lucky the factory default suits your needs.

We added only one extra 240v point and it turned we don't use it much, but Ive since added one myself after our first trip which we use a lot ..... (experience beats guessing it would seem). I wanted more 12v, but they refused to put them where I wanted them we didn't get them. Ill do that myself at some point ... c'est la vie.

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Agree with all of the above. Maybe consider a PPT under the dinette for use with Laptops etc. A good idea is to add PPT's with combination USB points as well.

Aussiejet

Aug 12, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Hi all.

Typically, what Circuit breakers do Jayco run for their 240v circuit?
We are forever having issues with our current van where we need to turn the microwave off before we boil the kettle, etc!
I understand that it's a 15 amp input and probably 10amp wiring, but can I run a kettle and fan heater at the same time at least?

Thanks
Peter

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
well, I've never had a problem as yet (touching wood as I type)
I would check your microwave was it the factory fitted one????
normal house Microwaves are a NO NO for caravans, you have to fork out more for the Marine / Caravaning microwave

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
normal house Microwaves are a NO NO for caravans, you have to fork out more for the Marine / Caravaning microwave
I didn't know that. Whats the difference?

Aussiejet

Aug 12, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Thanks Bigcol, but if I'm only using the 240v circuit, I'm just wondering what Jayco have in the way of circuit breakers?

Thanks
Peter

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
@Aussiejet we have an 18.58.1OB club lounge on its way and we have ordered extra powerpoints to the club lounge and on the side of the fridge unit where the TV will be. I figured that on top of the fridge joinery unit would be a great place to charge phones, ipad, ipods etc.
You can never have too many powerpoints!

Az

18.58.1 fridge.jpg

PP plan.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Aussiejet we have an 18.58.1OB club lounge on its way and we have ordered extra powerpoints to the club lounge and on the side of the fridge unit where the TV will be. I figured that on top of the fridge joinery unit would be a great place to charge phones, ipad, ipods etc.
You can never have too many powerpoints!

Az

View attachment 34802

View attachment 34803
Interesting position for the fridge ... makes that last drink decision a little easier

Aussiejet

Aug 12, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Thanks Az and Tricky.
We'll take this as a good omen and look at doing similar.
I just don't want to go back to the days of unplugging the kettle or the clock radio just to put the iPad on charge.

And yes Crusty, the fridge near the bed was certainly a talking point for my wife to bring up in front of a bunch of mates. "Good on ya" was the best reply.

Thanks
Peter

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

I didn't know that. Whats the difference?

Thanks Bigcol, but if I'm only using the 240v circuit, I'm just wondering what Jayco have in the way of circuit breakers?

Thanks
Peter

not being elekrickery minded, I remember someone once said on a post on here, that the normal house ones draw too much power on take off - or something like that
never used our Gamma machine, so dont know

someone else on here mentioned about their gamma machine catching fire or something..... do you recall that one @Crusty181 ????