Electrical External speakers

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
The external speakers in my Basestation work well when you are sitting out side but you can also hear them from the inside of the van through the cupboards.
Has anyone tried to do anything to make the external speakers quieter inside the van?
Cheers.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep.
Ours drove us mad and we finally found the destructions and the fader switch. If it's the Fusion model it's not easy to find!

It's now turned off permanently as we're really conscious of how easily sound can travel and cause problems.

We actually prefer to use an iPod with a Bluetooth speaker if we want music as its a damn site easier to control and to reach.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I know the Fusion audio unit has a fader control for internal or external speakers and I know how that all works but my problem is when the boys and I are outside watching a movie or listing to music and the wife is inside reading she can hear the sound from external speakers from inside the van coming through the cupboards.
I am think I may need to put some sort of insulation around the speakers maybe.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
you will probably need to put the speakers in a box. Although that could change the sound of them. The cupboards would work as a bass box.
The high density wood Jayco use :) would not stop much sound escaping, although you could look to see if you seal the air gaps better first.
Sound escape through air holes then through mass. Different mass effects what sound waves flow through. 20+ years in recording studios flowing through :)

Some foam might cut down the noise cut to shape, although as said a box would be better. With foam check that no heat from the wire connecting.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Speakers are all ready in a box from Jayco,
You can not see the rear of the speaker when you open the cupboard.
2016-04-13 09.03.20.jpg
I think I might remove the speaker and see if I can put some foam in the box.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Speakers are all ready in a box from Jayco,
You can not see the rear of the speaker when you open the cupboard.
View attachment 40766
I think I might remove the speaker and see if I can put some foam in the box.
probably only option. you could look to replace speakers with some different type as well. A sealed rear system
Can you see if there is any air gap anywhere?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Remove the speaker and put some sound deadner sheet behind them from Jaycar or paint a thick bitchnuim paint then contact eggshell foam on it. Will improve the bass too !

Reactions: Base23 and davemc