20' Series Extended drawbar??

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
I've seen that quite a few people get an extended drawbar on their vans - apart from wanting room to put a toolbox, what other reason would you get it for? Eg does it make it easier to tow, reverse etc?

We didn't have one on the 17.56 and had no problems, but with the 20.63 arriving in October I'm wondering whether we need to add it on?

We have space issues in our driveway hence why we didn't put it on the original extras list, but if it is going to make a significant difference with towing, reversing etc we may have to consider it..

So forum friends :) , your thoughts / advice on this would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Sandra

Reactions: carpanda

Petecaz

Jun 26, 2014
I've got an extended draw bar on mine and I think it makes reversing a lot easier. It also allows room to open the boot of the car, Carry bikes, and of course a tool box. If you have room I think it's worth considering. Hope this helps.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Depends on what you want to carry on the A frame, but for us I prefer to have a tighter turning circle especially in tight caravan parks and outback tracks. I too have the 20.63-1OB and I find the A frame is huge for what I need. Just comes down to what toys and gear you want to carry on the A frame.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt'N'nic

Matt'N'nic

Aug 9, 2014
Narre Warren South
I probably should know this but it is possible to set the bed up whist still connected to the car isn't it? I would assume just to wind the jockey wheel up to take the weight off the tow ball (stop the movement) , pull the handbrake and drop the stabilisers and all good to go? First time van buyer so I will probably have lots of silly questions...

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
That's what the forum is all about sharing info with other caravan enthusiast @Matt'N'nic

I don't worry about winding down the jokey wheel. I chose to wind down the legs only and sometimes I don't even do that especially if it's raining... Hang on rain in WA .... Never :becky:

Yes @Matt'N'nic
The only silly question is the one you don't ask!!!!!

True that @dagree

Reactions: carpanda and dagree

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
We don't plan to put anything on the drawbar, and we have a navara so opening the 'boot' won't be a problem for us - I was just worried that it might affect reversing the van etc.

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
I have the Colorado and with the van on I still can open the Tail gate and canopy lid without catching on the bed no worries at all @Flossymk1

I am not with ya though in regards to reversing?

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I ordered the extended drawbar as I have a Prado and don't want issues opening the rear door.

Reactions: skippy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Extended drawbar makes it slower to come around when backing, but also extends the time before jackknife so you get a bit more control. Also reduces you clearance when towing over a "hump"

Does give room for bikes etc as a lot of people have had bad experiences with bikes on the back of vans.

With the heavier vans allows you more clearance to intentionally jackknife her if you need to like the pic attached.

image.jpg

Reactions: Flossymk1