14' Series Expanda main bed length query

Crew family

Mar 26, 2016
Melbourne
Hi all,
We are currently negotiating to get a 14.44-4 Outback Expanda. The only hitch is that my other half is worried that the bed isn't long enough for him being 6ft. We tried to measure it in the showroom, but the mattresses are still in plastic and next to window, so hard to actually test.
Any advice from those 6ft or taller on whether they are suitable?

Wayne2410

Jun 5, 2011
Central Coast, NSW
Hi Crew Family,

We Currently have a 14.44.4, but previously owned a 17.56.1. First thing I can tell you is that both our Expanda's have the same length beds.

I'm also 185cm (6ft) tall and there is enough room to stretch out: just! And "just" is always enough.

Agree with mfexpanda - you'll be fine.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
We have a 14.44-4 and I am around 5'10"/5'11" with no issues so 6ft should be fine, just.

Crew family

Mar 26, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks for your replies. Re the zip/seam, I've seen that the previous years models have had the seam at 75/25, so wonder if this is the issue? The 2016 model has the 50/50 join.

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
I'm struggling with the triple split mattress too!! Do you leave the memory foam topper on when folding the mattress or take it off before folding the mattress so the memory foam doesn't end up with the same indents? I'm wondering if the new 50/50 split mattresses would fit in older models. We have a 2012 14.44-4.

steen rasmussen

Oct 3, 2014
Mango Hill, Qld
No it will not work unless you make the area above the storage cupboard the same height as the other section that folds down. I have tried and you feel like you are on a slope. I have gone back to 3 fold and put topper on each time I set up. Not ideal but just one of those things you do for comfort.

Reactions: Lucinda

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
I'm struggling with the triple split mattress too!! Do you leave the memory foam topper on when folding the mattress or take it off before folding the mattress so the memory foam doesn't end up with the same indents? I'm wondering if the new 50/50 split mattresses would fit in older models. We have a 2012 14.44-4.

We leave the memory foam topper on all the time. It's 5cm thick and hides the join. So far after having in the van bed folded for around 2 months with the topper on, it seems to bounce back to shape without any crease. We used van twice over the school holidays, 4 nights south and 2 nights north and both trips the bed was 100% better.

Reactions: ady17 and Lucinda

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
We leave the memory foam topper on all the time. It's 5cm thick and hides the join. So far after having in the van bed folded for around 2 months with the topper on, it seems to bounce back to shape without any crease. We used van twice over the school holidays, 4 nights south and 2 nights north and both trips the bed was 100% better.
Thanks @steen rasmussen and @JT76
@JT76 - do you happen to know what sort of memory foam you use or where it's from?

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Hi all,
We are currently negotiating to get a 14.44-4 Outback Expanda. The only hitch is that my other half is worried that the bed isn't long enough for him being 6ft. We tried to measure it in the showroom, but the mattresses are still in plastic and next to window, so hard to actually test.
Any advice from those 6ft or taller on whether they are suitable?
Hi, I am 198cm or about 6'5.5". We have a 14.44-5 OB.
I have no issue with the front bed. Do need to sleep at a slight angle if lying straight eg on your back but that is not really a normal sleeping position. We do have the BE covers so if i do accidentally touch the canvas, it doesn't get wet and hence leak. Only put the BE covers on if rain is expected otherwise just use the privacy screen.
We also had an issue with the spli mattress but problem was basically solved when we installed a mattress topper. Leave it on with sheets and cotton blanket when folding it up.
Keep quilt folded in a bag in the shower alcove for those cold nights.
Just the two of us, No kids, 14.44-5 has an ensuite, no bunks.
That help?
Marv

Last edited:
Reactions: Crew family