16' Series engineers in Melbourne

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
All,

Looking for an engineer or mental fabricator to mount my spare wheel from the front drawbar to underneath at the rear. I've got a 16.49.4 and am amazed why the spare wheel on the drawbar sits proud!

Anyway if anyone knows who might be able help it would be appreciated.

I'm in Bentleigh, south east of Melbourne.

Cheers

Roscoe.

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
I went to the a car wrecker and bought a chain type rachet lift from underneath a ute and mounted it underneath the back of the van after placing a steel plate inside to spread the load. Just did 2000 k and it never moved.

Reactions: Bluey and Expanda12

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
Jayco now have this sort of setup under the Silverline models, so I can't see why you wouldn't be able to buy one from them and then get it fitted! I am contacting them in the next couple of days to find out cost, so will let you know.

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
Appreciate you getting back. Funny enough I've found a couple of engineers in Melbourne that have done it before. $600 or thereabouts. Now just have to make up my mind if it's all worth it. Plus box on front looking at $2K.

Cheers

Roscoe.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hmm, I am not sure I want a spare under the van. On the back, yes. On the draw bar, Yes. But not under the rear. One flat tyre in the wrong place and under the van is not desirable in my opinion.
Why's that @Stan53? I am just trying to think when it might be a issue especially on an outback as they are fairly high - certainly higher than a lot of cars with a spare underneath. This is a mod I am thinking of so just trying to understand.

BJ.

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
Crusty181- I think I must have searched this forums and others for months and came up dry. You've found something in 5 minutes

Best photo's I've seen.

Volley Five, if you don't mind I'm going to rip of your design.

Love this forum

Cheers all

Reactions: Crusty181

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
G'day BJ. My Landcruiser has the spare under the rear. I hope I never get bogged and a flat at the same time. Or be in mud up to my axles. I have Swifty. Her spare is on the back wall. Best place for it. Yes, I know yours is an outbacker. But correct me if I am wrong - she is a single axle?
As soon as I can afford it, I am getting a barn door style spare wheel carrier for my Cruiser, then it gets moved. And stays moved.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
G'day BJ. My Landcruiser has the spare under the rear. I hope I never get bogged and a flat at the same time. Or be in mud up to my axles. I have Swifty. Her spare is on the back wall. Best place for it. Yes, I know yours is an outbacker. But correct me if I am wrong - she is a single axle?
As soon as I can afford it, I am getting a barn door style spare wheel carrier for my Cruiser, then it gets moved. And stays moved.
Yes single axle... But why does that change things again? As for being bogged it would have to be bloody deep with the OB.

BJ.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Crusty181- I think I must have searched this forums and others for months and came up dry. You've found something in 5 minutes

Best photo's I've seen.

Volley Five, if you don't mind I'm going to rip of your design.

Love this forum

Cheers all
I was in Carac in Dandenong yesterday, and low and behold they sell the windup spare mechanism $145

2014-11-29 10.42.07.jpg

Expanda12

May 12, 2014
Berwick, VIC
I went to the a car wrecker and bought a chain type rachet lift from underneath a ute and mounted it underneath the back of the van after placing a steel plate inside to spread the load. Just did 2000 k and it never moved.
Would you have any pics? wouldn't mind doing that to my 12.
Kev

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Is that for mounting the spare under the van? If so, where exactly are they ( for us perthites who have no idea about Melbourne). Also, is it a complete unit, ie do you need to get any other bits n pieces?
Sorry guys, i just seen the question. Carac trailer supplies ..... just up the road from the Jayco factory

The unit appeared complete .... but you would need to install something it mount it to ie some metal cross bracing on the chassis

Ross Falcke

Sep 23, 2013
melbourne
guys,

Just been talking to Hardings ( heard nothing but good things about them ), quoted me $550 approx winch included. pretty good price I think.

worth a phone call.

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
Afternoon all, I have had the spare mounted under the back for about 4000 km now. It does not bottom out on all normal driveways and speed humps etc. The removable handle to wind down is on the off side and the spare takes about 5 minutes more to get out as a back mounted spare. I always carry overalls and gloves in case of any mishaps. The ball weight is now acceptable at about 135 kg.