Drovers new Rig - "Big Mal"

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So what do you do when the water pump starts sucking air from one tank ??????????????, do it the easy way, replace all the hoses from tanks to pump, no messing about sort the damn thing out in one hit, water flows nicely again with new hose................old stuff was a bit hard, new blue water hose now................could have wasted time finding where but thought stuff it, now all good, all happy.

Ordered a spare cassette for the Old thunder Box, handy while we live in Big Mal but also when free camping, no panic just reload The Thunderator, ordered one from Caravansplus on Monday postie turned up with it today (Thursday), $167 so more than happy......................

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
"You better believe it" @dagree ,:fish: My boys and old workmates have mentioned it numerous times so must be true..:highly_amused:.......................even Mrs D has chimed in....:shocked:..................................but I don't care, I'm off to the beach in the morning......:car:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well the house is built, grass is growing and the bank is empty, so jobs that don't require any money are at the fore................rolled under Big Mal today to adjust the brakes, parked on concrete makes it soooo much easier, adjusted them up only needed a click or 2 so might have been the weight onboard previously that gave them a hard time, anyway all good now and even found a bearing that needed a touch up, thankfully not replacing...................Grey water tanks while flushed when we moved out of van, boy they needed another go after a month, yucky big time..........slowly going to go over the rig from front to back so by the time late Feb rolls around we may be able to rock on down to Temora for a Flying Day and a bit of a general meander back to civilization via Lightning Ridge or somewhere.......................................and I didn't smack my nogging on things as I zoomed around on my trolley under Big Mal, a good day.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep @Bushman , its a great park at the airfield but we might camp at the showground, will still be on financial rationing, if Ariah Park markets are on may camp out there.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hey @Bushman just remembered that Temora has also a new free camp in town, 48 hr stay.....................amazing town no wonder it is vibrant place, 2 van parks, showground as well as a free camp, and a couple of great museums.

Reactions: yabbietol

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hey @Bushman just remembered that Temora has also a new free camp in town, 48 hr stay.....................amazing town no wonder it is vibrant place, 2 van parks, showground as well as a free camp, and a couple of great museums.

Where's the free camp?
We'll be staying in Young over Christmas might run out there and check it out

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Right in town, easy to spot any lttle landmines left on the pavement or rivulets of sink waste, too many inconsiderate folks cause these rules..........usually the "we have right " mob do all the moaning and they don't pay rates.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Replaced a vent I broke inside Mal, the timber walls aren't much, I used a box cutter to trim the hole for the new vent, $7 at Green Shed........came up really well...................

. Vent02.jpg..full tools..........................Vent01.jpg................and I stuffed the cavity of the Fully Insulated van with styro, they must have missed a section..........

and if your missus ever says she wants new curtains as you run away tell her to buy them, don't go down the we will make them path............it's truly terrifying I can tell you, looks good now but hell it's a pain to cut out the stuff when you want a straight edge................Hoping I get to town and get aan exhaust place to bend me some pipe for my Sat Dish mount before we roll, will save having to use the damn stand each time and also make it harder for some low life to lift.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since the demise of my Coleman table I suddenly realized we had nothing to hold the chips off the ground or Mrs D's wine bottle, the Scots blood came to the fore and with a looook around the shed I spied a $12 BCF camping table which we use at the beach and a short length of sail rail and an brilliant idea evolved, need to buy some more rivets..............................
So a picture says it all but for the obtuse, cut sail rail so end of table slots into it, drop one set of legs down on table, line up table to side of van ( on even ground) mark bottom of table edge with pencil onside of van, line up rail on mark, double sided tape to rail to hold it and check levels with table in possy, when satisfied rivet the rail to van, fit table add chair and beer.............................this could work on glass walled rigs as well, just have to sikaflex and plaster screws...

Unsuspecting $12 table......
............................................Table01.jpg................
$5 rail........Table02.jpg

and Tah Daa the wine, beer and chip support.............
Table03.jpg
testing will take place later..............

The more observant will notice no mention of removal of other legs, they are tucked away so table can still be used for away trips..........................and under $20.....

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep....smart.

We toyed with the idea of using the internal table the same way but didn't go ahead with it. Glad now we didn't as it probably would have not been suitable for outdoors....and picked up moisture etc.

But this one is!