Exterior Drop down/ Clamp on spare wheel holder

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi all, just a few pics of the spare wheel holder I made for member @hamish22. These can be ordered if needed.

Cheers.
Drop down clamp on spare wheel holder 004.jpg Drop down clamp on spare wheel holder 002.jpg Drop down clamp on spare wheel holder 003.jpg

Last edited:

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
how much do think it will cost to post to vic they don't look that heavy can u post one it looks great can I weld it on after its in place or no need too

Last edited:

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
@Burnsy
Just a thought, why not extend the bottom bar so the wheel can be mounted on the holder when down. Easier to lift the wheel on and off for repairs as well then.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
My wheel sits on the ground as is when connected to the holder!
Only question is: How do you get the wheel nuts on when it is facing the ground?
Hence the suggestion of reversing the setup shown so that when it is down the wheel nuts face up and the wheel lies on top of the wheel plate. Rough sketch below.

Van side I
I ll
l ll ll wheel bolt plate
l ll l
l l vertical bar
l-----l
Hinge Bottom bar

Bit rough but hope it makes sense. The post will delete the spaces.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you turned the wheel around then you would have a lot of fun getting it off when on the road where most flats occur....have to drop the rack down another thing to do when not in a happy mood

Burnsy if you put a 40mm ?? pipe joiner in between the studs it makes a good rest for the rim, drill a hole in it and you have a spot to stick a padlock to lock it up.

I ended up slinging mine underneath as I got fed up getting dirty when dropping it to put bed end down, but left the mount there if I wanted to carry an extra spare.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I brought a packet of locking wheel nuts
left, right & spare.............
and the 2 nuts they replaced on the road wheels, they are used on the spare......

Reactions: Burnsy