Dometic 3 way fridge

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi @Boots in Action,
I got them from Hongkong on eBay from the seller speed_mart.
It takes 2-4 weeks to arrive.

They arrived promptly and I would not hesitate to buy from them again.
I bought one each of 50C, 55C, and 60C Normally Open and they cost $1.31 each including postage.
I used the 55C one. I want the fans on whenever the evaporation fins are hotter than the ambient air, indicating he boiler is heating. I assume that if the outside temperature gets up to 55C, I won't care much about the fan being on or not.

They have them in a wide range of temperature values in both normally open and normally closed.

This is the description:
Temperature Switch Control Sensor Thermal Thermostat 55°C N.O. KSD301

The link to the 55C one is:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Temperat...D301-/262383064210?hash=item3d173fd492&_uhb=1

Like most Chinese eBay suppliers, you have to pay using PayPal.

Let me know if you need any further information.
cheers
Mike
Thanks for the very prompt reply. Will follow up today. Much appreciated!!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yes.....this is off topic.....briefly.....but there's a massive highway from Chinese electronic and other suppliers and buyers here in Australia!

and a significant cost saving for those fridge fans.

I think we used 55c fans on our previous van and, from memory, they were mounted on the fridge vent itself with silastic but cable ties would do it I think.

We also wired the fans to an on / off switch next to the fridge ....that was deliberate as we rarely needed to use the fans when camped as the fridge awning cooled things down enough. For some reason we coloured the switch blue to make it stand out.

Where we did use the fans was when travelling....in constant 35degrees plus ...up to 47degrees some days...we just turned the fans on when we hitched up and they really made a difference to the fridge efficiency and, of course, the solar more that compensated for the fan power used. I can't remember what the draw was but it was negligible.

They worked really well.

Reactions: Boots in Action

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
If you don't want to wait, you can get them from Jaycar for a bit over $5
Hi,
Jaycar have the normally open version at 50C, 70C, and 100C.

I originally order mine in September and the Penguin was scheduled for delivery in November. So I had time to burn.
There always seems to be a premium to be paid for those who don't have time to wait.

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I just buy those thermo switches from Jaycar, only a couple of $$$, rivet it to a spring clip so it just clips onto a pipe, write up somewhere I think on my 14.44 thread...bugger waiting weeks......I think I ended up with a 70 c one fitted as the 50c just wanted to stay on, the fridge temp for operation is around 50 odd degrees.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I just buy those thermo switches from Jaycar, only a couple of $$$, rivet it to a spring clip so it just clips onto a pipe, write up somewhere I think on my 14.44 thread...bugger waiting weeks......I think I ended up with a 70 c one fitted as the 50c just wanted to stay on, the fridge temp for operation is around 50 odd degrees.

I was wondering how to attach these thermo switches. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yes.....this is off topic.....briefly.....but there's a massive highway from Chinese electronic and other suppliers and buyers here in Australia!

and a significant cost saving for those fridge fans.

I think we used 55c fans on our previous van and, from memory, they were mounted on the fridge vent itself with silastic but cable ties would do it I think.

We also wired the fans to an on / off switch next to the fridge ....that was deliberate as we rarely needed to use the fans when camped as the fridge awning cooled things down enough. For some reason we coloured the switch blue to make it stand out.

Where we did use the fans was when travelling....in constant 35degrees plus ...up to 47degrees some days...we just turned the fans on when we hitched up and they really made a difference to the fridge efficiency and, of course, the solar more that compensated for the fan power used. I can't remember what the draw was but it was negligible.

They worked really well.

I do not run the outside fans whilst travelling as I think they would draw in too much dust/wet weather especially as I have an intake fan at the bottom. Hopefully just moving along the highway will drag in some cooler air. I do however run the internal fans to help even out the temperature a bit as it is only running on 12 volt..

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I do not run the outside fans whilst travelling as I think they would draw in too much dust/wet weather especially as I have an intake fan at the bottom. Hopefully just moving along the highway will drag in some cooler air. I do however run the internal fans to help even out the temperature a bit as it is only running on 12 volt..

Oh well.....I installed them purely for temp reduction and a major problem was the ambient temp we had in the back blocks and centre. Rain and dust were simply not an issue. ..it tends not to rain at 40Deg and, if it did, i wouldn't worry about getting the temp down .

I can assure you that simply moving along the highway in those temps drags in very hot air!

But that was last year and the year before ...so I'm now very happy with our fridge set up.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hey Dobbs what's this current draw for the auto fridge ?? mine draws stuff all to keep the magic box running, did you leave the fans running ?????

Reactions: mikerezny

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I also screen my wall with a 14ft awning to keep the sun off the fridge vents, none of this tiny screen which lets the sun come in at an angle...actually a fella said his cost him $150 to get set up and was most peeved when I told him mine was too....his was a brand name fridge screen about 1 mt wide with fittings mine was a 14ft van shade screen from BCF with sail trak and Okky straps from Bunnings.

Big Mal in full free camp set up at Lake Cargelligo...............
IMG_20170303_151648.jpg

Reactions: Bluey

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi Bellbird, you re fast on the keyboard!! I think that fitting an extraction fan on the rooftop might not be as good as it is for us with smaller fridges where the cooling fins are very close. The further away from the cooling fins, the less the value, unless you are creating a lot of air movement from below. Not fully up with rooftop vents etc. Perhaps Drover or Dobbie can help you with this.

Last line of thread should have been "Perhaps @Drover or @Dobbie can help you with this".

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I knew there was something else I wanted to say earlier..............................someone did a write up on a fan on the roof which I think depending on the opening but a fan situated in an easy location which drew the air to the vent was all that was needed......of course with all these fan positions, where it as easy to get at is the spot to go for.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hey Dobbs what's this current draw for the auto fridge ?? mine draws stuff all to keep the magic box running, did you leave the fans running ?????

From memory cos I'm still lazy....current draw per day is 15 amps for the stupid idiotic over designed electronic panel.

The Waeco....drawer fridge ....which we also run is 34amps per day....but you didn't request that info. It's remarkably efficient and I love it! Didn't think I would but....

With both, we're now comfortable with but, having been to the dealer all day today for a long chat about many things, now think we're OK with power. The solar is working very well and we're very pleased with the Projecta charging setup. We find it easier to read and understand than the Setec which we've used for over eight years. Now we need to deal with the supplied gauges....to the tip.

It just show that entrenched attitudes can be adjusted.....but it took a while.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
BUt then it's really only drawing down the battery during the dark time so not much in real time, even less during daylight saving of course.......

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
To clarify....based on my whinging about it....draw is between 0.6 and 0.7 per hour for the 24 hours so we work on 15 per day.

That stacks up with what we've monitored (roughly) while using it.

The other fridge...the Waeco...cycles on and off, off at night usually....and averages out at about the 34 mark per day. We can live with that and turn it off if we're not using it but it's so damn useful!

It's only 30 litres so I'd be a bit worried using a similar technology for the main fridge if its 185 litres!

(The Thetford figures were from Thetford )

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi @Moto Mech,
do you know of any inverter fridges for use in caravans?
It looks like the extra efficiency of these fridges would be very welcome.
Some of the advertising from LG and Samsung claim almost 50% reduction using a digital inverter.

One other question. I know that just about anything used exclusively for camping is priced at a premium. So, it seems plausible that using a standard 240V fridge in a van and powering it from the van battery via an efficient 12V - 240V inverter would work.
If so, it might be a much less expensive option.

Are you aware of anyone trying this?

kindest regards
Mike

Hello @mikerezny , found some interesting data on inverters for you to think about. Quoted direct from Australian Direct - Batteries and Charging Guide
"Probably one of the most battery hungry devices you can run from a battery is an inverter. When calculating the loads for a 700 watt inverter, use a multiplier of 1.2 in the following formula;
Wattage X 1.2 divided by voltage. So our 700 watt load would look like this:
700 X 1.2 divided by 12 = 70 Amps.
A small inverter can pull some serious loads off a battery........." A compressor fridge is nowhere near this amount!
Whilst a compressor fridge is more efficient, it comes at a cost in battery power. Even a small one would be dragging out nearly 40 amps daily working on a 40% running cycle. You would need to have a lot more battery storage as well as at least 200 watts of solar to be able to continue running the fridge. If the sun God was not kind to you, say 3 or 4 days of cloudy or rainy weather, you would have to seek another source of power - eg generator or connect to tug and run engine for long periods. This can be done and is quite reasonable too. To change, you would have to swap your gas bottle/s for batteries and solar panels. But if it comes down to the wire both heat absorption and compressor fridges (with transformer) can run on 240 volts and that is where the compressor fridge is superior. The whole trouble with that for me is that I go where there is NO 240 volt power, so I will stick with my gas operation. 14 days continuous operation on one 8.5 kg gas bottle will do me and no need for more outlay of money. That's why I do everything possible to increase the efficiency of my inferior (to compressor type) heat absorption type!!!

Last edited: