16' Series Does anyone else find the off-road models too high

Heidi at

May 15, 2014
Werribee, Victoria
Hi all, I am new to this forum finding all the threads fantastic for advice. We are currently looking at buying a jayco 16.49 - 4 model. We went to jayco Geelong last week just to have a look at the different vans. While I really like all the features of the off-road models I found them an effort to step up into due to the height; has anyone else found this an issue?

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I think most people just get an extra step to put on the ground. I'm not old enough yet but the day is coming soon.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
I love the height of the outbacks. I am 6' 3" (192cm) so is perfect for me. My wife loves it to even though she is a little bit smaller than me.

BJ.

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
We have an extra step to step onto as well but I have found on a slopey ground (where the ground is lower at the back of the van, where the door is) that even with that extra step at times it can still be a bit high and I am 5'6 . But not enough to not like the van :)

Heidi at

May 15, 2014
Werribee, Victoria
If I can talk hubby into brand new instead of second hand, I will seriously look at the off-road and then buy a step, do the kids handle the height alright?

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
:welcome>:(Heidi at . We have the 16.49 sport OB and I have a severe case of ducks disease :minion_duck: and while it is a bit of a high step, so far, it hasn't been much of an issue. But we are looking at buying a Fiamma Security Handle, it will hopefully add a little more security to the van and provide a handle for a bit of a safer step down.
Mrs W.

Reactions: Heidi at

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Keep in mind once you load them and the springs settle you will lose some height from the showroom.

Reactions: Heidi at

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi Heidi at,
I am going to agree with your original comment.. To me they are high !!
I am not sure what features you liked about the outback over the road model.. however if it is a little extra clearance your looking for, however do not need the height of the Outback, there is another option.
I wanted the extra height, however did not need the height of the outback, so I paid the $250 and had the axles under-slung at the factory during the build. This lifted the overall height by about 100mm. This also gave me the outback A frame, mudflaps and a step.

I am very happy with the travel height now, and the first step up into the van.
Food for thought!

Reactions: Heidi at and macca

asis

Dec 27, 2013
Lake Macquarie NSW
l have recently under slung our 16.49.1 and built a step for it.
Basically a plywood box with a hinged and carpeted lid. This way I get a step as well as some storage. I keep packers, pegs, hammer etc in there as well as things we use frequently while camped like mozzie coils.
I have a tray back ute so it is easily carried, could just go on the van floor though.
Not the greatest pic but you can see the step between the pram and chairs.
Cheers
Adam
Untitled11.jpeg

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
extra step as others have said, you will love the height for all else. No bother about gutters, driveways, anything as it easily goes over them. Much much easier to work under the van as well.

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
l have recently under slung our 16.49.1 and built a step for it.
Basically a plywood box with a hinged and carpeted lid. This way I get a step as well as some storage. I keep packers, pegs, hammer etc in there as well as things we use frequently while camped like mozzie coils.
I have a tray back ute so it is easily carried, could just go on the van floor though.
Not the greatest pic but you can see the step between the pram and chairs.
Cheers
Adam
View attachment 22848
I made exactly the same but we keep our thongs/shoes in ours.
Also made it so it fits snug in the door well for travel!

Reactions: PandaLee

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
Don't really have a problem but you can probably get a dual step fitted at the factory as our old Swan had one of these. One issue though is when we fit the skirt for the annex then you cant use the step so in due course will make a box to use.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I was going to go the dual step but it will hang low so sort of defeated the reason I got our OB under slung so I use the a remove able step as we'll .

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
I love the height of ours and as hubby and I are both tall the step up doesn't really bother me. One thing I did notice today though was when I went to wash it.....how the hell do you reach the roof???? Lol

Reactions: Wanda