Electrical Do I need an Anderson plug

dugite57

Nov 18, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Hi Expandarians,

We just bought a new/secondhand (one month old) 20.64-1 OB. As a result of it's weight the Prado has been sent to the knackers and a stock standard Landcruiser GXL MY16 200 TTD tug is about to arrive next week. I'll be swapping out the batteries for some bigger optima's (D27's) and splitting them with a redarc BCDC 25 amp (but considering the 40 amp for "future proofing").

Anyway, having spent a bit of time rewiring the old car's plug to the newer 12 plug I realised it takes its fridge voltage from the fat 9 pin.

So, given the caravan has no Anderson plug, and only one 100 amp battery and the car is new, should I just get the sparkie (our me) to run the 30 amp Pink 8 mm2 wire to the 9 pin and do the earth return via 10 pin as described in the manual, saving the cost of an Anderson 50 amp that I had previously on "old" Prado?. If for some future reason I need a 50 amp Anderson, like more batteries etc, then I can add that then.

I'm on a cost cut due to having lost a lot in depreciation (this is a topic that must not be discussed in earshot of Minister for war and finance, Mrs Dugite) trading in a 12 month old Prado, so am working on the assumption that the 30 amp "will do" if that's what Jayco think is ok?

Having said that, if there's a compelling argument for the 50 amp Anderson solution then I'll take it...

BTW, great and useful friendly forum,

Cheers

Vince

Reactions: dagree and Delano

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I used the 12 pin for quite awhile then it had a melt down, the cause being the pins with the power for fridge/van became loose and they cooked, luckily I was running my camera thru some unused pins and when it dropped out I went and had a look before it all self destructed.
I now have an anderson plug providing power to van and went to a 7 pin, cheaper than $30 each for new 12pins. My problem I believe was caused by downward drag opening up the connection and the sideways movement when plugging and unplugging closes the pins up......
You can get andersons at a realistic price from a mob called ABR Sidewinder, on Ebay or just Google them, I've just ordered another 10 for I think it was under $20, the plugs are good have given my last lot a workout and all good, so no need to spend $18 for just one.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If you're adding Anderson plug to sort out fridge...and, if you have ESC on van, it might be useful to add an extra Anderson so that ESC can be disconnected if necessary.

Depends on whether you plan to do some dirt and / or bumpy roads where ESC more of a hindrance.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I am just about to remove the fridge from the 12 pin too. I wired up from the tug with 6 b&s (13mmsq) and split it across two pins each and it still gets bloody hot. I've cleaned and spread the pins too but last trip it's was very hard to disconenct.

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Do the ABR andersons play nicely with the genuine andersons too? Only ask cause in the early days of Anderson knock offs some didn't which left you stuck needing spares. Will be happy if they do.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yes.

I've found them far better than the knockoffs and always work for us.

So far, anyway.

I also bought a special Anderson crimper which makes it easier and have made up lots of combinations of Andersons to sockets, merit, extension cables etc as we use our shed solar to keep all our 12v batteries for sprayer trailers mowers etc charged up.

I love it when things work properly!

Reactions: Rockape and bigcol

dugite57

Nov 18, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for the quick replies. Some more questions;

If I do Andersons with 13.5 (6B&S) cable from the Aux Battery in the car with 50amp fuse, what do I do on the caravan?

1 - do I simply hook onto the existing pink and white wires or
2 - do I have to replace them with heavier wire, and if so, where the heck do they go (they disappear into the A frame)?
3 - do I need to get a 30amp fuse in there somewhere?

Cheers

Vince

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
we have a cruiser upgraded the prado 04 model 100 series still got prado anyway we only have the 12 pin plug works a treat I find fridge stays cold just run the correct wires for the power needed ?????????????

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep, with @Dobbie they work, you wouldn't notice any difference actually...........I made a simple jig up, block of hardwood with a hole drilled in it to hold the pin while I solder it all together. I also have a bag of connectors to cover all things.

Reactions: bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
we have a cruiser upgraded the prado 04 model 100 series still got prado anyway we only have the 12 pin plug works a treat I find fridge stays cold just run the correct wires for the power needed ?????????????

Mate I am running 13mmsq to the plug and the good 6mm after that to fridge Iam sure an upgrade of the fridge side will help but the fridge actually runs fine on 12v and the 6mm is not getting hot. It's the pins getting that hot you can't touch them! I don't think they connect that well? And when the fridge does cause the melt down its your brakes and lights as well so your don't be rude around immobile because ultimately your fridge don't work? Andersons are the go I reckon ?

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hey
Hi Expandarians,

We just bought a new/secondhand (one month old) 20.64-1 OB. As a result of it's weight the Prado has been sent to the knackers and a stock standard Landcruiser GXL MY16 200 TTD tug is about to arrive next week. I'll be swapping out the batteries for some bigger optima's (D27's) and splitting them with a redarc BCDC 25 amp (but considering the 40 amp for "future proofing").

Anyway, having spent a bit of time rewiring the old car's plug to the newer 12 plug I realised it takes its fridge voltage from the fat 9 pin.

So, given the caravan has no Anderson plug, and only one 100 amp battery and the car is new, should I just get the sparkie (our me) to run the 30 amp Pink 8 mm2 wire to the 9 pin and do the earth return via 10 pin as described in the manual, saving the cost of an Anderson 50 amp that I had previously on "old" Prado?. If for some future reason I need a 50 amp Anderson, like more batteries etc, then I can add that then.

I'm on a cost cut due to having lost a lot in depreciation (this is a topic that must not be discussed in earshot of Minister for war and finance, Mrs Dugite) trading in a 12 month old Prado, so am working on the assumption that the 30 amp "will do" if that's what Jayco think is ok?

Having said that, if there's a compelling argument for the 50 amp Anderson solution then I'll take it...

BTW, great and useful friendly forum,

Cheers

Vince

Hey Vince before you buy two optimas check out the extreme agm being offered. Iam hoping to put one in my 200. They are 110ah well over that of the optima

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Mate I am running 13mmsq to the plug and the good 6mm after that to fridge Iam sure an upgrade of the fridge side will help but the fridge actually runs fine on 12v and the 6mm is not getting hot. It's the pins getting that hot you can't touch them! I don't think they connect that well? And when the fridge does cause the melt down its your brakes and lights as well so your don't be rude around immobile because ultimately your fridge don't work? Andersons are the go I reckon ?
mmmmmm maybe your right ive never felt the pins I think my wires are 8mm never thought about heat in the pins something to watch out for thanks I didn't even realise or think about it

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks Jim, do you know the brand and model number of these batteries, I'll look into them.

Cheers

Vince

Vince they are an ultimate extreme agm. The 110 ah is a N70 size. Jetcrew on Myswag is doing them for $315 which is about $80-90 cheaper than battery world.

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
I havent noticed a problem with my 12 pin plug yet but that may be that I am still new to this game.
However I ama fellow sandgroper and know what an angry dugite is all about and I would be taking my chances with a hot plug any day.

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks for the quick replies. Some more questions;

If I do Andersons with 13.5 (6B&S) cable from the Aux Battery in the car with 50amp fuse, what do I do on the caravan?

1 - do I simply hook onto the existing pink and white wires or
2 - do I have to replace them with heavier wire, and if so, where the heck do they go (they disappear into the A frame)?
3 - do I need to get a 30amp fuse in there somewhere?

Cheers

Vince

Vince, these pink and white wire interest me, mine are black and white. The cable runs along the A frame and exit at the end, turn into a big jumble of joiners usually under a dodgy tin cover before entering the van, on mine the fridge/van power cable (black/white) split in the cluster, so had a couple of enormous joiners, one set ran to fridge where it turned into a red/black combo and the other ran to the setec to charge the battery, there is a diode on the Setec to stop the van battery powering the fridge.
The actual cabling for this was of decent size so a new run may not be needed, running a seperate cable for battery and fridge and fridge isn't needed, the setec/battery doesn't draw much. You could put a 30 amp fuse in somewhere but I didn't bother.

dugite57

Nov 18, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll go the Anderson route. I'm having trouble finding 6 B&S (13.5m2) wire here in Perth. Drew a blank at the normal places, Supercheep, Autobarn, even Jaycar. Anyone know where there's a place in Perth that sells cable?

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Try Battery World which might be a bit expensive or if you have got the time to wait for a delivery try ebay. Autolec.com.au are excellent to deal with and you can ring the bricks and mortar store or search them on ebay.