Discovery 4

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
BMW *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*, yes.....
17" no. The brake calipers are too big.

I only found out about *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* rims having the same stud pattern (but less positive offset) yesterday. I'm don't know if the 18" ones might fit (doubt it though - I'm sure others have checked before having the custom ones developed especially :))

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
BMW *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring*, yes.....
17" no. The brake calipers are too big.

I only found out about *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* rims having the same stud pattern (but less positive offset) yesterday. I'm don't know if the 18" ones might fit (doubt it though - I'm sure others have checked before having the custom ones developed especially :))

Ah ok thought that could be the case, no worries :rolleyes:

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Ok. First real trip with it, and WOW. What a difference to the Pathfinder. It was completely effortless to tow with and stacks of power waiting in reserve. The Pathy used to always hunt for the right cruising gear and revs would always be swinging from 2500 to 3500. This just sat on 1900 in the peak torque range and didn't budge unless I put my foot down. And a couple of times I did to pass a b double, I look down at the speedo after a couple of seconds and its sitting on 140km. The ride was smooth, and even the missus was comfortable to drive it at the speed limit. And the self leveling suspension worked as it should.

I fitted the second battery before the trip, with extra ciggy sockets and anderson to the rear. UHF also went in, but will get moved - I put the main unit with the speaker in the centre console, and was sometimes too hard to hear unless i opened it. Bull bar is on order, but is still weeks away. ARB will only make them when enough orders.

IMGP0801 - Copy_resize.JPG

Reactions: Ligedy

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Good to hear straydingo, looks a nice rig too. One of my mates tows a 24' van with his but he chipped it and after market intercooler plus a slight boost increase.....heaps of grunt, I went for a drive with him a while ago and it felt like a V8 petrol.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Saw one at the fish markets today, silver with snorkel, ARB deluxe bar (including headlight washers) kaymar rear bar. Appeared to be raised as well, boy it looked good. Whats there towing capacity?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
When I spotted you heading on the freeway heading off on your QLD trip the Disco sure stood out with the Expanda on the back :thumb:

Thats great news about the bar too, it will change the whole look of the car.

Disco Panda

Jan 14, 2012
Perth, WA
Nice !!! we have a Disco 3 travelling around Australia towing and 18 Expanda, car has done an excellent job and like others have said the adjustable air suspension not only makes life easy, but helps with some tricky sites. ATTACH=CONFIG]8598[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_5093.JPG
    IMG_5093.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 287

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I had the front bar and snorkel fitted a few weeks back - thanks to Everything 4wd in Cranbourne (free plug)

IMG_0354_resize.JPG

Last edited:

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thats really changed the look of the Disco SD, looks good mate. Did the front drop at all?
Also...
What driving lights have you got on the front?

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
That looks great mate. I must admit since buying my D4 it's been a long time that I've really loved driving a 4by. Towing a 16-49-3 is very comfortable.

Have you noticed any wind noise from the snorkel at 110kph cruising down the highway? Also is there any difference in the handling of the car after fitting the bar? I'm looking at getting a snorkel and bar and would love any feedback.

Cheers
Mike

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
CD - I didn't measure before and after. But I believe the suspension is self levelling anyways so might not show (?). Lights are XXX. I had them on the pathy after the Narvas kept working themselves loose all the time. The blue cuts the light distance of course, but they still have a reasonable output. (I counn't bring myself to spend the $3500 on the new led ones)

Mike - When I put the snorkle on the pathy, I heard every gurgle and gasp the car made, plus the air noise. This one, a slight gurgle just as I take off from idle and thats it. The bar added front end weight and made it a little heavier to steer (oversteer), but was used to that again pretty quickly.

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Thanks for the info, I better get the bar ordered as there is a long wait.

Cheers
Mike

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW
That looks like a great unit, I've always been a fan of the discovery's, but I never found them too comfortable in the front for my legs (big hunk boof headed bloke).

Love the bar, looks great being colour coded too.