Digital Camera Purchase - any advice (please!)?

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Hi All,

Unsure if i am in the right section, but i'm sure someone will point me in the right direction if not.....

We are looking to purchase a decent camera for trips away, school sports, general family outings, bushwalks etc etc.
The last decent camera i had used 35mm film, and since then have only used the iphone or simple $50 digital point and shoot cameras, so i am lost when i look at the vast array available.

i spent some time on the weekend with my brother and he had a beautiful camera with a zoom lens and the photos it took of the kids as they were mucking around at a distance were amazing. It was a "micro 4/3" (whatever that means) and it seemed pretty flash - but his wife had bought it and he didnt know much except to say that it took terrific photos.

So, is there someone out there in this terrific forum with some photographic nous that can point me in the right direction as far as a decent camera and lens goes?
Budget is around $1000.
Cheers, Jemmo

Reactions: bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi,
your budget is enough to buy a pretty decent Digital SLR (DSLR) with a couple of zoom lenses: wide angle for scenery and a long lens for wildlife etc.

An important consideration is the size of the camera. DSLRs are somewhat bulky, but will give superb results.
The smaller compact cameras have a smaller lens and can be limited by needing much more light before having to use a flash.
You may or may not be able to change lenses. In which case, the range of zoom will be important.

Another point is whether you want to take movies. If so, you will want to investigate their performance in that area.

We recently upgraded to a Canon DSLR with 2 lenses, total cost was $800. It takes superb photos, but when we go on hikes, we still prefer to take our old compact Canon because it is so light and we can easily carry it in our hand.

You won't go to far wrong with a Nikon or a Canon.

happy hunting
Mike

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have a Sony A6000 and it is brilliant
I have a 10/18 wide angle lens (which is used most of the time) a 50mm for Portrait and indoor nighttime party shots
a 18/200 for everyday normal and telephoto work

If you want one today there is a great deal where you get $150 cash back via redemption but it ends today
JBHifi seem to be the cheapest on the web at the moment

I did a heap of research and this one came up trumps for quality v price
I do believe that there is a newer model now which is why you can get the body only for about $600 (before the $150 cash back)
I paid $900 for the body only when I bought mine.

Reactions: Jemmo

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I'm currently using a Canon and carry the 150-250 zoom to use when necessary. I've had that combination for over eight years and it's done lots of work but tends to be a bit bulky so usually sits in the car and is not really suitable for bush walks etc. Quality of photos is good, particularly if you play around with all the optional settings. I've also got the 400 lens and wide angle lens but hardly use them as the 50 is fine for general use.

Recently I've acquired a Panasonic LUMIX which is much lighter and a bit smaller....it's far more flexible for use on walks etc and the standard lens would be ok for most things. Quality of photos is good.

For what you want I'd be looking at something like a Canon power shot, LUMIX or Nikon or similar which is lighter to carry, has the option of zoom built in and wifi to make it easy to transfer shots from the camera sd card to computer or iPad . I can confirm that's it's fiddly getting photos to an iPad while on the road, it's possible but fiddly so wifi is a good easy transfer method.

Specs?
Zoom..... as much as you'll need. Possibly x32
Lightweight and comfortable to use ....try it to see how it fits your hand ...surprisingly important
Wifi
Sd cards...multiple. I'd strongly suggest you carry several small capacity cards ...4, 8 or 16 cards rather than one 64 or larger. Safer and easier to find what you want and don't run the risk of losing it all if one card corrupts.

Have fun shopping!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I am not the "Main" Photographer in our family, SWMBO is

so I should get her to write up a recommendation one day

however

cameras are like cars and 4WD's
some love one brand, while others love the other
(Holden V's Ford, Landcruiser V's Patrol, Canon V's Nikon)

both are just as good as each other with different strong points and weak points, finding what it right for you is the hard part
dont be seduced by the many many features the newer cameras have, some are down right waste of time and effort
(Pop Art setting - who are you? Andy Warhol - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Warhol )

have a look at http://www.picturecorrect.com/
lots of good advice and tips

a decent camera like the Panasonic Lumix or Nikon Coolpix or Canon Sure Shot are a good starting cameras - no need to worry about lenses, as it only has the one.........
like this.....

Panasonic_Lumix_wideweb__470x333,2.jpg

the more prolific you get with your camera, then start to think about if you want Lenses and filters and such - lots of $$$$ when you move up in Camera

I would suggest going to your Local CameraHouse store (Bendigo)- http://www.camerahouse.com.au/?store=1292

and have a good long talk to the people there, they can advise you on what would suit you best for your needs

(No Affiliation with CameraHouse, just good service and advice every time I have stopped in there)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have a fairly high end Canon DSLR with a variety of lenses as well as some point and shoot, a drone and a multitude of other devices that all take photos.

I am finding more and more that the DSLR is too big and bulky to drag around travelling.

We took it to England last year and hardly used it, instead taking most of the shots on the iPhone.

I still use the DSLR for things needing a decent zoom or for night shots, but for the majority of travel type shots the convenience of having it in your pocket vs carrying around a camera bag everywhere I wouldn't recommend it.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi All,

Unsure if i am in the right section, but i'm sure someone will point me in the right direction if not.....

We are looking to purchase a decent camera for trips away, school sports, general family outings, bushwalks etc etc.
The last decent camera i had used 35mm film, and since then have only used the iphone or simple $50 digital point and shoot cameras, so i am lost when i look at the vast array available.

i spent some time on the weekend with my brother and he had a beautiful camera with a zoom lens and the photos it took of the kids as they were mucking around at a distance were amazing. It was a "micro 4/3" (whatever that means) and it seemed pretty flash - but his wife had bought it and he didnt know much except to say that it took terrific photos.

So, is there someone out there in this terrific forum with some photographic nous that can point me in the right direction as far as a decent camera and lens goes?
Budget is around $1000.
Cheers, Jemmo
I have 2 SLR's, and a waterproof Lumix. All reasonable cameras. I use my Samsung Galaxy mobile phone 99% of the time. The photos are surprisingly really good, better than the Lumix and equal to the Canon SLR with the factory lens. Any phone is crap with digital zoom, but I rarely use zoom so that suits me. The Galaxy's GPS records where the pics are taken and with added Apps is pretty hard to fault. Plus I can ring my mum with it.

The best photos are the ones I actually get to take, the Galaxy is always with me ... the other cameras most often not, especially when its just a wander about when some of my most memorable pics have appeared.

I have many photos from circumstances that I know I wouldn't have never bothered to take the cameras. The waterproof Lumix is great for the beach

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
As mentioned above, they are like 4wd brands - everyone has something different and has an opinion.
It simply depends on what your needs are. Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, Pentax et al are all fine for SLR. Personally I've shot with a Pentax for 20 years, film and digital and muchly prefer them over the others - no other reason than personal preference. Canon and Nikon have the biggest market share namely due to marketing budgets, but it doesn't mean they are any better than the others.

As each brand has multiple products, what features do you want?
MP size is the first thing we see. Do you need 30MP or is 12/16/18MP enough? Poster prints, more is better. 6x4 prints, or display books less is satisfactory. At 16MP my pics are also around 10mb each in size, so also consider the storage capability of your computer. The bigger the MP, the bigger the photo file size. (I recently installed another 8 TB of hard disks, on top of the 5 I already had)
Do you need all the wizz bang professional features?
Do you need manual controls, or will it always be left on Auto mode?
Sometimes its better to start with the basic and work your way up when ready.

But more important than the camera is lens selection. The lens is what can makes a good picture great. The 'better' lenses will be sharp, will be 'fast' (low aperture and allow good pictures in low light), might be weather proof, coatings on the glass to prevent aberrations.
Big zooms sound good, but it means the individual glass elements inside are trying to do too much, and you usually sacrifice image quality especially at either end, wide or zoomed max. Small zoom lenses are better. Primes, or fixed length lenses are best.
So consider the value of the lenses for how you want to use it. Is it better for you to carry around multiple lenses and swap them back and forth (also extra weight, extra handling, more risk of dust in camera etc), or will 1 be enough, even if it means (potentially) a lower quality photo. Most of the kit lenses (those which come 'standard' with the camera) are fairly low to mid range, but can be suitable to start with.
Personally I carry a fixed 15mm wide angle - landscapes and internal buildings etc; 17-70mm zoom - my general walk-about lens; 60-250 high quality zoom for wildlife; and a 300mm fixed - sharp wildlife. It can be a real pain swapping, but I can get some really good shots. The missus uses an all-in-one 18-200 and keeps complaining her shots aren't as good. At one point I had a 150-500mm but found it terrible for what I wanted. A good quality lens at 250mm will allow post production cropping of an image, potentially better than a lesser quality 500mm.
But a good quality lens can be a thousand $ or more.

Along the same vein, consider the availability of lenses for the brand chosen. Pentax for instance will accept every lens they have made for the last 40+ years so there is lots around. Some might be a bit more hands on manual to use... but they are available, and some very good quality ones also. Canon and Nikon have lots available, but I think film era ones can't be used on digital (please correct me if wrong) . But I'm not so sure about Sony and Panasonic. Most brands have different lens mounts so they prevent swapping lenses across camera brands. But there are also plenty of lens manufacturers who make for all bodys and change the mounts to suit - Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and Samyang all make lenses for all brands and are very good - you do not need to have a Pentax lens on a Pentax body, or Canon lens on a Canon body if another suits. But I can't put a canon lens on a pentax body without an adapter. If you get serious you can always upgrade a lens later that you can then use for years on future cameras.

Whatever is chosen try to find a users website for that brand. Like the expanders forum, I find Pentax Forums invaluable. I know there are also Canon and Nikon user forums out there also. Avoid the ones dominated by professional who expect you to have a Masters in Photography before they lower themselves to respond to you (reminds me of another caravanning forum really)

When shopping, go in to the stores and handle them. Take a memory card with you and take photos in the store to compare at home on the computer - don't rely on the screen on the back. Feel the weight, is your hand comfortable on the grips (some are smaller or larger than each other), are you likely to bump any buttons when you don't want to, or can you comfortably reach the buttons?

In the budget you mentioned you could comfortably get a Canon 750/760D, or the older 700D; a Nikon D3400, but I'd push the budget to a D5600 if possible; a Sony A6000 (similar to a 4/3 type camera with no viewfinder, but with a larger sensor like a DSLR); a Pentax k-50, but like nikon I'd push for a k-70 or KS-2 instead). Also maybe consider a sturdy tri-pod, spare battery or two, filters (UV and maybe polarising). Again like a car/4wd accessoritis can be a problem if you get seriously into it....... :(

A fantastic website is www.dpreview.com which lists pretty much all cameras released. Most have reviews, both by 'professional reviewers' and users. And you can compare a large number of cameras against each other to cross reference their features etc. (Just be aware some like Panasonic Lumix have different names for their individual products depending on worldwide region). From what I can see, the website appears to be independent. there are also forums there too.

Sorry if thats more confusing than it needs to be.

If so, to keep it really simple... get a basic Canon 700D with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses and you shouldn't be too disappointed.:)

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
As mentioned above, they are like 4wd brands - everyone has something different and has an opinion.
It simply depends on what your needs are. Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, Pentax et al are all fine for SLR. Personally I've shot with a Pentax for 20 years, film and digital and muchly prefer them over the others - no other reason than personal preference. Canon and Nikon have the biggest market share namely due to marketing budgets, but it doesn't mean they are any better than the others.

As each brand has multiple products, what features do you want?
MP size is the first thing we see. Do you need 30MP or is 12/16/18MP enough? Poster prints, more is better. 6x4 prints, or display books less is satisfactory. At 16MP my pics are also around 10mb each in size, so also consider the storage capability of your computer. The bigger the MP, the bigger the photo file size. (I recently installed another 8 TB of hard disks, on top of the 5 I already had)
Do you need all the wizz bang professional features?
Do you need manual controls, or will it always be left on Auto mode?
Sometimes its better to start with the basic and work your way up when ready.

But more important than the camera is lens selection. The lens is what can makes a good picture great. The 'better' lenses will be sharp, will be 'fast' (low aperture and allow good pictures in low light), might be weather proof, coatings on the glass to prevent aberrations.
Big zooms sound good, but it means the individual glass elements inside are trying to do too much, and you usually sacrifice image quality especially at either end, wide or zoomed max. Small zoom lenses are better. Primes, or fixed length lenses are best.
So consider the value of the lenses for how you want to use it. Is it better for you to carry around multiple lenses and swap them back and forth (also extra weight, extra handling, more risk of dust in camera etc), or will 1 be enough, even if it means (potentially) a lower quality photo. Most of the kit lenses (those which come 'standard' with the camera) are fairly low to mid range, but can be suitable to start with.
Personally I carry a fixed 15mm wide angle - landscapes and internal buildings etc; 17-70mm zoom - my general walk-about lens; 60-250 high quality zoom for wildlife; and a 300mm fixed - sharp wildlife. It can be a real pain swapping, but I can get some really good shots. The missus uses an all-in-one 18-200 and keeps complaining her shots aren't as good. At one point I had a 150-500mm but found it terrible for what I wanted. A good quality lens at 250mm will allow post production cropping of an image, potentially better than a lesser quality 500mm.
But a good quality lens can be a thousand $ or more.

Along the same vein, consider the availability of lenses for the brand chosen. Pentax for instance will accept every lens they have made for the last 40+ years so there is lots around. Some might be a bit more hands on manual to use... but they are available, and some very good quality ones also. Canon and Nikon have lots available, but I think film era ones can't be used on digital (please correct me if wrong) . But I'm not so sure about Sony and Panasonic. Most brands have different lens mounts so they prevent swapping lenses across camera brands. But there are also plenty of lens manufacturers who make for all bodys and change the mounts to suit - Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and Samyang all make lenses for all brands and are very good - you do not need to have a Pentax lens on a Pentax body, or Canon lens on a Canon body if another suits. But I can't put a canon lens on a pentax body without an adapter. If you get serious you can always upgrade a lens later that you can then use for years on future cameras.

Whatever is chosen try to find a users website for that brand. Like the expanders forum, I find Pentax Forums invaluable. I know there are also Canon and Nikon user forums out there also. Avoid the ones dominated by professional who expect you to have a Masters in Photography before they lower themselves to respond to you (reminds me of another caravanning forum really)

When shopping, go in to the stores and handle them. Take a memory card with you and take photos in the store to compare at home on the computer - don't rely on the screen on the back. Feel the weight, is your hand comfortable on the grips (some are smaller or larger than each other), are you likely to bump any buttons when you don't want to, or can you comfortably reach the buttons?

In the budget you mentioned you could comfortably get a Canon 750/760D, or the older 700D; a Nikon D3400, but I'd push the budget to a D5600 if possible; a Sony A6000 (similar to a 4/3 type camera with no viewfinder, but with a larger sensor like a DSLR); a Pentax k-50, but like nikon I'd push for a k-70 or KS-2 instead). Also maybe consider a sturdy tri-pod, spare battery or two, filters (UV and maybe polarising). Again like a car/4wd accessoritis can be a problem if you get seriously into it....... :(

A fantastic website is www.dpreview.com which lists pretty much all cameras released. Most have reviews, both by 'professional reviewers' and users. And you can compare a large number of cameras against each other to cross reference their features etc. (Just be aware some like Panasonic Lumix have different names for their individual products depending on worldwide region). From what I can see, the website appears to be independent. there are also forums there too.

Sorry if thats more confusing than it needs to be.

If so, to keep it really simple... get a basic Canon 700D with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses and you shouldn't be too disappointed.:)
Hi StrayDingo,
what a great concise summary.

As it happens, I wanted a DSLR and ended up buying the Canon 700D with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses. Ted's and JB had great deals on this package. I ended up paying $800.00.

I am eally happy with this camera.

Still want to get UV and Polarising filters for them. Do you have any suggestions on where to get them?

best wishes
Mike

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi StrayDingo,
what a great concise summary.

As it happens, I wanted a DSLR and ended up buying the Canon 700D with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses. Ted's and JB had great deals on this package. I ended up paying $800.00.

I am eally happy with this camera.

Still want to get UV and Polarising filters for them. Do you have any suggestions on where to get them?

best wishes
Mike
Digital Camera Warehouse is really good for the Canon stuff.

I find they are always well priced

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I've bought a lot from DCW also, but their prices have risen over the past few years to be little better than teds or camerahouse etc.
The last couple years I've been buying from an ebay seller called dcexpert. http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Filters/15216/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=dcxpert
Good prices. Genuine products, based in Brighton. Bought a lens off him yesterday actually - DCW and TEDS wouldn't/couldn't supply it, and elsewhere 20% more. Actually shipped straight from the Australian rep for Pentax in Port Melb (the next day) so all above board.

For filters go with the 'good' brands - Hoya, Kenko. With filters quality does matter. Low quality can cause reflections, refractions, distortions, odd colourings etc. Because a filter is attached to a lens, any issues can not be well rectified in post processing (on computer).
A good example is a neutral density filter. These are designed to apply a grey across the lens, reducing light by up to 10 stops (you might use it photographing a water fall for instance - slows the shutter down to get that silky smooth water look). These are a pure grey, hence the neutral. A particular manufacturer produced one which had a leaning to magenta. Very difficult to fix once the photo was taken and ruined many photos world wide, and their reputation.

The two lenses you got have the same filter size (58mm) so one of any particular filter type should suffice for both lenses. Its unlikely you'll use a polariser on the big zoom though, at least initially. Keep them in the protective pouch/box when not in use.
Maybe also consider a 'Lens Pen'. These little cleaning tools do a better job than microfibre cloths for fingerprints, dust etc.

Last edited:

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I've bought a lot from DCW also, but their prices have risen over the past few years to be little better than teds or camerahouse etc.
The last couple years I've been buying from an ebay seller called dcexpert. http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Filters/15216/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=dcxpert
Good prices. Genuine products, based in Brighton. Bought a lens off him yesterday actually - DCW and TEDS wouldn't/couldn't supply it, and elsewhere 20% more. Actually shipped straight from the Australian rep for Pentax in Port Melb (the next day) so all above board.

For filters go with the 'good' brands - Hoya, Kenko. With filters quality does matter. Low quality can cause reflections, refractions, distortions, odd colourings etc. Because a filter is attached to a lens, any issues can not be well rectified in post processing (on computer).
A good example is a neutral density filter. These are designed to apply a grey across the lens, reducing light by up to 10 stops (you might use it photographing a water fall for instance - slows the shutter down to get that silky smooth water look). These are a pure grey, hence the neutral. A particular manufacturer produced one which had a leaning to magenta. Very difficult to fix once the photo was taken and ruined many photos world wide, and their reputation.

The two lenses you got have the same filter size (58mm) so one of any particular filter type should suffice for both lenses. Its unlikely you'll use a polariser on the big zoom though, at least initially. Keep them in the protective pouch/box when not in use.
Maybe also consider a 'Lens Pen'. These little cleaning tools do a better job than microfibre cloths for fingerprints, dust etc.

Hi,
many thanks. I will go look at the dcexpert offerings.

Also, thanks for the very useful information on selecting filters.

kindest regards
Mike

megcam

My only advice (and a few others have alluded to it) is the best camera is the one you are happy to take with you and use regularly. I have an older Nikon compact with a f1.8 lense and a zoom that starts at 24mm equivalent (a bit wide angle). The large aperture (represented by the lower number eg 1.8) is really good for indoor photos where flash is useless or not allowed. Suggest if you get something with manual controls (a dial with M,A,S,P on it) as well as point and shoot modes you can apply more control &/or progress to a DSLR camera at a later point.

With a budget of $1000 I'd be looking at something like https://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscrx100m4/overview
Good luck.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Digital Camera Warehouse is really good for the Canon stuff.

I find they are always well priced
Ive bought of DCW and the another HongKoneese supplier DigitalRev and found them both good. DigitalRev has been round forever and their range, and website is very impressive. The issue with these grey import guys is you get zero local factory warranty and any claim needs to be negotiated and performed in Hong Kong. I had good experience, but many would be uncomfortable with that aspect

Im in Melb and my first stop shop is the Leederville Camera House in Perth. I buy from them and the ship stuff to me, very competitive prices, no grey imports, and terrific customer service.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Ive bought of DCW and the another HongKoneese supplier DigitalRev and found them both good. DigitalRev has been round forever and their range, and website is very impressive. The issue with these grey import guys is you get zero local factory warranty and any claim needs to be negotiated and performed in Hong Kong. I had good experience, but many would be uncomfortable with that aspect

Im in Melb and my first stop shop is the Leederville Camera House in Perth. I buy from them and the ship stuff to me, very competitive prices, no grey imports, and terrific customer service.
DCW is not a grey importer though. They have bricks and mortar stores as well as on line, so you can touch and feel.

Reactions: Jemmo and dagree

Jemmo

Feb 25, 2016
Bendigo, Vic
Hi All,

So after much research (including the comments on this forum) i took the plunge on an Olmypus OM-D E-M10 Mk II, with a 12-40mm f2.8 pro lens as pictured below (all up @ $1500) which is a micro 4/3.
I was tempted to go for the E-M5 model which is dust and splash proof, however couldn't afford the extra $400 and figured that our house insurance should cover it in an event like that. The E-M10 has identical workings inside and was only missing a few features that i couldnt really see myself using (do i really need 10 frames per second instead of 8.5?).
The lens was more than the camera, however i was swayed by my research that told me that i would get a better photo cropping pics from this lens, than with the cheaper telephoto with multiple "f-stops".
I quite like the "retro" look also!
Anyways, will try to post some pics once we start getting out there and using it properly!!
Cheers, Jemmo
file.jpg

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
something for anyone and everyone...........

There are hundreds of different cameras you can buy, and knowing which is right for you can be overwhelming…

If you’re looking to buy a new camera in the future, this video will walk you through picking the right one so you can shoot what YOU want and rest assured that you made the right choice:

http://froknowsphoto.com/types-of-digital-cameras

Reactions: Jemmo and dagree