Exterior Diesel heater fuel tank.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Wondering what people are using for their diesel fuel tanks for their heaters. I'm about too make a rear bumper bar for our new van when we get it on Thursday, and thought why not make the rear bumper the tank. Apart from rupturing it in a collision or van not being level so inlet might not get fuel if tank gets low, I couldn't see any issue with it. What are people's thought please.

Last edited:

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Not sure what the regs are now. But one of my first jobs was as an engineer designing diesel fuel tanks for the heavy vehicle industry.
There were a few regulatory things which may or may not apply to this application.
1, the filler cap had to have low melt-point venting plugs,
2, a valved breather point (valved to block the flow in case of turnover)
3, weld penetration traceability records.

All of the above may be overkill, but something to think about.
If you wanted to buy the caps or breathers
http://www.wharington.com.au/html/truck_tanks.html
Certainly no association anymore.

Reactions: Tone

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Im using a plastic jerry can. If you cut a little off the rubber seal that comes with the pick up pipe it fits inside the jerry can lid. I just open the lid a 1/4 of a turn to let it breathe. This also means I can put the filler pipe back in the jerry can and fill the car in a emergency, I do this any way after each trip as I dont want the diesel sitting in there going stale between trips.

Reactions: Tone and 17triton

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Not sure what the regs are now. But one of my first jobs was as an engineer designing diesel fuel tanks for the heavy vehicle industry.
There were a few regulatory things which may or may not apply to this application.
1, the filler cap had to have low melt-point venting plugs,
2, a valved breather point (valved to block the flow in case of turnover)
3, weld penetration traceability records.

All of the above may be overkill, but something to think about.
If you wanted to buy the caps or breathers
http://www.wharington.com.au/html/truck_tanks.html
Certainly no association anymore.
Thanks for this, might be safer to go separate tank, just thought I could utilise the enclosed space, wasn't thinking regulations.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Im using a plastic jerry can. If you cut a little off the rubber seal that comes with the pick up pipe it fits inside the jerry can lid. I just open the lid a 1/4 of a turn to let it breathe. This also means I can put the filler pipe back in the jerry can and fill the car in a emergency, I do this any way after each trip as I dont want the diesel sitting in there going stale between trips.
The simple ideas are sometimes the best ... I carry a jerry anyway as well for the car, and we wouldn't need the heater very day. When we free camp and want power I have to cart out and setup the genny, so whats a bit of extra tinkering with a heater .... same, same?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
For those that have gone before, how long and how involved was the installation of the diesel heater. Does the cheaper Planar branded unit do the job?

mccrlc

Aug 19, 2012
Tasmania
The Planar does the job in our 1649 - 3 Expanda just fine, Dad has a different brand he bought from the UK and it seems slightly better but you get what you pay for..
We had it installed in a couple of days, once you get over the nerves of cutting holes in your new van you'll be all good.

Reactions: Tone and Crusty181

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I did the base station in the caravan park in about 3 hours, you only need to drill one large hole in the floor and then screw down the mounting plate and your done. Go outside clamp on your fuel line and intake and exhaust pipes, screw them to the chassie then mount your fuel pump. Go back inside hook 2 wires to the battery and mount your controller.
The hardest part is finding some where to put it, you dont really have to many choices, it will kind of tell you where to mount it. It needs to go where there is no metal, wiring, gas pipes or water tanks under the floor. Then it need to be far enough away from the bed ends and the door vents so you dont get any fumes inside (not that you can smell it anyway but its still not healthy) and then it should ideally be close enough to the side of the van so you dont have to extend the exhaust pipe and close enough to the batteries so you dont have to extend the wiring.
Once you find the right spot its dead simple.

Reactions: jvp