16' Series Deep cycle battery replacement

Ted&Na

Nov 3, 2015
Cameron Park
Hi people,

We have a 2009 16.49 jayco expanda with 2 x 105Ah AGM batteries (Power AGM NPC 105-12). They came with the van when we bought it a couple of years ago and they were installed in 2013 so they are due for replacement.

I'm have no brand allegiance but I don't really want to pay any more than $300 per battery and I live in Newcastle so places that deliver or are within a reasonable distance I'd be interested in (I'll travel to Sydney).

I'd like to hear people's experiences with different types of batteries (but I'm mostly interested in AGMs unless there's a hell of a good arguement) and reasons why they chose a particular battery and retailer to buy through (online or shopfront) including best prices they have found, including/excluding delivery and GST.

Thanks in advance :)

Reactions: Smirke

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Howdy and welcome to the forum @Ted&Na. I put a 120ah Full River AGM DC in my 2009 16.49.1 back in 2009 when I purchased the van, and that battery is still chugging along nicely in my current van. I had that battery load tested at the start of last 2016 and it came up at 100%. I do look after them, dont ever draw the batteries below 50%, and the van is always parked up on constant 240v when at home.

Ted&Na

Nov 3, 2015
Cameron Park
Yeah you're correct I probably should take them out and have them properly and tested. I assumed deep cycle batteries had about the same lifetime as a normal car battery and 4 years is pretty good. But I'll check it out.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Yeah you're correct I probably should take them out and have them properly and tested. I assumed deep cycle batteries had about the same lifetime as a normal car battery and 4 years is pretty good. But I'll check it out.

Hi @Ted&Na , that is not correct!! AGM batteries have a life expectancy of up to 10 years so they should still be fine PROVIDED that they have NOT been discharged too deeply too often. AND not left in a discharged state for long periods. Strongly suggest that you put BOTH on charge using a proper "smart charger" which has the different settings for all types of batteries (lead acid, Gel and Calcium). Use lead acid setting for AGM type. The smart charger is the only type to use and will normally have 6 or 7 stages. 1. desulphation, 2. soft start, 3. boost/bulk, 4 . absorbe, 5. analysis, 6. absorbe (if necessary) and 7. float/maintain. With THAT type of charger you would need to have one capable of at least 15 amps and the charger is fully automatic. DO NOT USE the old type chargers as they will not get you the same result and could damage the batteries. IMO, you should be able to recover both batteries to a good usable condition after a couple of charge/discharge cycles. Do you know of someone who has one of these chargers?? They are available on Ebay for around $150.00 for a Projecta or other brand and even Super Cheap have similar models that will suit what you need. A good investment as against 2 X 120 AH AGM @ $260.00 each on Ebay.
Incidentally, AGM batteries are able to be transported and delivered to your door as they are rated as sealed and non spillable and therefore not rated as dangerous goods. I have had several different types delivered to my door from Melbourne without any problems.

Reactions: mikerezny

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi people,

We have a 2009 16.49 jayco expanda with 2 x 105Ah AGM batteries (Power AGM NPC 105-12). They came with the van when we bought it a couple of years ago and they were installed in 2013 so they are due for replacement.

I'm have no brand allegiance but I don't really want to pay any more than $300 per battery and I live in Newcastle so places that deliver or are within a reasonable distance I'd be interested in (I'll travel to Sydney).

I'd like to hear people's experiences with different types of batteries (but I'm mostly interested in AGMs unless there's a hell of a good arguement) and reasons why they chose a particular battery and retailer to buy through (online or shopfront) including best prices they have found, including/excluding delivery and GST.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi @Ted&Na , should you find that your batteries are stuffed even after charging with a "smart charger" have a look on Ebay under 12 volt AGM battery and you will see that Power Pro have 12 volt 130 AH AGM batteries for $259.00 including delivery and with a 2 year warranty. Being German cells, I think they represent great value. But hope you do not have to purchase them.

Reactions: mikerezny