Dave and Sarah's Starcraft 22.68-1

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The annex for Big Mal must honestly be about 40kgs I think, it's a bugger to try and lift up so I leave it behind, we try to have things that can be used in multiple roles, I shudder to think if what it would be like if we still had 4 kids with us, just the food for the boys for 2 days would overload us...
One day I might put it over a bridge just to see what the GCM is, thats the one which will catch you as the scalies will weigh the whole thing and if it's over may do a break down but probably just give a ticket for being over, be scary if they fine the same as trucks....thats why I query the rumours, folks would scream blue murder with a $800 plus fine.

Reactions: Delano and davemc

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats it in a nutshell @Dobbie , education of drivers is really whats needed maybe a licence upgrade, being an old semi driver weights was part and parcel of the job for years, the big fines per ton over was a great incentive to make sure you knew what was what.
Salesmen are just that sellers of a product .

Shane Norwell

Jan 11, 2015
Bunbury wa
It scares me because it's potentially dangerous.

We've noticed braking effects if we load up too much...and we're well within the payload limits for both vehicle and van....and we believed the salesman with his " to tow a two ton van get something with a 3 ton rating and towball up to 300kgs and you're fine"

Then we started to look into it further, realised there's a lot more to it than that and now believe the industry needs to take a good hard look at itself, it's lack of accurate info, and the legal implications for both owners and manufacturers.

It's interesting that the one manufacturer we're talking with at the moment won't upgrade payloads under any circumstances ...engineering specifics....and I agree with that.

But many of the dealers fall short as they simply don't understand the whole scenario. It's still "you have a vehicle which will tow 3.5 ton so here's a 3 ton van we'll sell you...you can load the vehicle with a boat, etcetcetc ".

That's why it scares me!

All fair enough. I was just curious.

Reactions: davemc

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And it looks like you have the same approach as me!

It's a real dilemma and the more I see sales people waffling about issues they (mostly) don't understand ...or are simply slack...the more I get incensed about the potential legal issues.

Now.....off my soapbox...I've got a dealer to deal with again.

I wish all manufacturers would simply answer simple questions with clear and accurate information, rather than waffle in the hope you'll stop asking about things they really should know.

:focus: :flypig:

Reactions: davemc

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If they give a definitive reply you could hold them to it in court, thats why verbal positive reply is hard and a written reply would be impossible..........the prosecution rests........................but then you are liable anyway no matter what somebody says, ignorance is no excuse, send cheque to this address.....................only our political leaders are exempt even if they write it down you know it's BS.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
ok the last thing on this maybe :)
The Tare is crazy as well
some are full tank of fuel
some 10liters
some fuel and driver
Some no idea does not state
There is no standard.

690 Payload Disco and Mux
Disco is full tank and 75kg driver
Mux 10 litres of fuel. and +5kg for Auto.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
But if you own a 200 you can pay Lovells approx $7,000 and you get a GVM increase of 500kg (3800kg got) and a towing increase of 500kg (4,000kg) (GCM 7800kg ) and your all safe and legal . But a ....wit can still be behind the wheel! Anybody see some failings in the whole system here ? Load sensibly, drive sensibly, and if your not confident , get confident or stay in hotels ;-)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well thats done and dusted................................now don't forget the pics of that Roo Stopper, you could try a sweetener by giving it a coat of pink plasti coat stuff........................it would go unnoticed on a Disco.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
more stuff brought today wonder how much its cost us buying stuff :)

12v Impact Wrench tried it on a wheel nut I had problems moving by hand.. Done 2 seconds .. Another one of these hope to never use it but just incase things
wrench_5.png

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Swapping dollar notes for Kg's, what else can we think of for you to spend $$$$$$ on ...????????...........................keeping up the Expand DU tradition.

Reactions: dagree and G Daddy

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Is that so she'll be able to find you?

At least you'll save on the weight of the old heavy torches you've no doubt ditched.

and.....I'll bet you find lots of other things to add....just in case

;)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
http://www.fyrlyt.com

For lighting performance, there simply is no competitor.
thanks @Doc might of been to that website already :behindsofa:
Might have to be after the trip I think we getting up there for $'s spent we still not looking to drive before dawn or after dusk
Even though I have friends who like drive long distances when kids sleeping ours normally travel well

Reactions: burnsie