Cruza Drivers OUTBACK EXPANDA 16.49-3 Trips and Mods

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Cruza
just seen your in the yarra valley.
Just been looking at house,s in yarra glen
were just a bit concerned about the drive from there to our factory in thomastown each day.....
love the location mmmmm big decision

Small world E14, husbands been down to Thomastown a fair bit lately. Did the security install at Tyremax, and Plus24 gym nearby. And we're getting our custom mattresses freighted from Beds Direct in Epping.

Sorry for the hijack Cruza.

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
Small world E14, husbands been down to Thomastown a fair bit lately. Did the security install at Tyremax, and Plus24 gym nearby. And we're getting our custom mattresses freighted from Beds Direct in Epping.

Sorry for the hijack Cruza.

Thats about a 2 min drive from our factory
Small world ha
E14

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
A small mod completed on the Expanda last week, its something I have been meaning to do for a while. I was down at Supercheap and spotted this led light with a built in switch and thought it would be good above the table. The bonus was the built in switch and that it was adjustable too.

It works well but I was hoping it maybe a bit brighter but I'll have to test it properly in the real world and not in the shed :) A strip light maybe better I think (as others have done) but at least this isn't to blinding, but as I mentioned the jury is out until a proper test.

037_zpsa6b5c448.jpg

045_zps93f52286.jpg

Lit up but before I put the end caps on
042_zps15379559.jpg

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hey @cruza driver , have you been for a wander through bright lights shop in Ferntree gully?
If you are ever down that way it is worth the look because I have never seen soooooo many LED options on display that work and also with a gauge to demonstrate amp output.

Here is the web link anyway.
http://brightlightautoparts.com/
Not much of a web site, but the store is great.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Agree with @Brad, don't be put off by the website, the Bright Lights place is certainly worth a visit even if you don't buy everything from them. They've got walls full of LED lamps you can try and compare. I got the Expanda's downlights from them and some of my previous cabin leds.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yes I have enjoyed reading about your adventures....and then planning my adventures with your findings
Corryong is a classic example of that where we are off to for a couple of weeks on Boxing Day.

Reactions: cruza driver

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Reactions: cruza driver

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Yes I have enjoyed reading about your adventures....and then planning my adventures with your findings
Corryong is a classic example of that where we are off to for a couple of weeks on Boxing Day.

Thanks @Brad make sure you visit the power station past Khancoban and head down to Geehi for a look too
Happy Anniversary @cruza driver. Have really enjoyed "traveling" with you in recent times.
:tea: @Xpandafan

Reactions: Brad

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Today I had a bit of a working bee on the Expanda and thought I would get some little maintenance jobs done.

It started with replacing the anode in the hws. The original one lasted 18 months and likewise this one. The 2nd one I fitted was actually bigger than the oe and it looked better upon inspection too. I could have left left it a bit longer but my theory is it was out and I had a new one so I replaced it.

Tools for the job and the new anode.
060.jpg

The old and new anodes
063.jpg

You can see the old anode corrosion after flushing the tank caught in the lid (and this is only what got caught)
064.jpg

075.jpg

Once the new anode was installed I refilled the tank and checked for leaks and all was good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chookster

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Next on the list was to grease all the suspension and tregg coupling and give everything the once over.

Following this was to check the roof for sealing. Last week I bought some white Sikaflex from Bunnings for the job. My concern was the corners of the roof as I have read a few posts about roofs leaking, although our Expanda is tucked away in the shed it is also out of the shed a bit on holidays. There was only one corner that needed attention although there has never been signs of leaking I wanted it resealed. No pics of this though.

Another area that I resealed was the frame around the front canvas along the top edge, mainly for extra insurance :)
073.jpg

From here is was onto the screws on the awning drum. The screws with the square head have been working loose after a few trips and I have been nipping them up when required using a flat blade screw driver. Today I ground down an allan key into a square and retightened with a bit of sikaflex under the head (since I had it out ;))
077.jpg

Reactions: crackacoldie

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
After the outside jobs had been completed it was time to head indoors and fix the shower door hinge. During the corrugations of outback Queensland and other outback trips the heads of the pop rivets popped off :D. Double sided tape has done the trick for a while including half the Queensland trip and another 4 day trip across to Pambula and a few local trips too :thumb: It was actually one of those things you forget about until you go away again :lol:

Anyway not anymore its fixed too :nod:
069.jpg

All new again
071.jpg