Crusader Family Getabout

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
Hi here is the layout for our van hope that helps with some ideas.
Hi Angus
Thanks heaps for sharing this; looks great.
Love to hear your feedback about anything Dave Mc, us and other potential Crusaders should ask for/avoid/do more or less of, based on your experience, please?
And yes.. sorry if we've hijacked your thread.. just got all excited about someone else on the forum having one; you and StoneStomper are the only ones out. There may be others out there:behindsofa:?
Happy to start a new thread if you'd prefer.. please just say the word!
Love to hear about any mods you may have done as well, if you're happy to share.
All the best,
Walksie :)

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
Thanks for the detailed post and was nice to quickly meet you the other day.
We spent hours on this yesterday, the fact they can do whatever you want and each van I have seen is a different design yes you wonder what will work best for you :) We looked through around different van layouts of other models as well.
As 4 kids we where thinking of going a 4 bunk van although we end up with a really small combo shower and not much cupboard space.
There are a lot of vans with the 21'6 layout every manafacture has one so you think it works
Your situation has made me realise how lucky with are with 3... there i was thinking how tricky it was. All relative, huh?!
For us I do not want to go too long.. I need to move the Spa fence etc to fit in anything over 8.8m. Length limits your driving turning circle, van spots etc. Our current tug the Disco 350/3500 although do not want to get near that.
Space a big issue for us; really don't want to go more than 20' internal but we're lucky in that we have a little bit of flex.
The whole reason for us upgrading now is our twins Asthma gets bad when cold. Our current van has no ensuite, last year was fine over winter we went out every month for 3-4 days as they where still in nappies. This year 3 aborted weekends away and we did the Expandas get together in a Cabin. So either we go spring/summer months only and maybe up north as Melb summer can still be cold :) or get a new van.
My long service due end of next year as well.. I love to do a half lap..

The musts for us:
Two Solar to start with 240w. Some people here have a lot more.
2-3 Batteries depends on Fridge. I use CPAP so thats 50amps a night.
Diesel/LPG Heater, Current car is not diesel so thinking LPG.. Actually thinking the new HWS/LPG model
http://www.truma.com/int/en/heating/combi-4-e.php
Large fridge
Extended height roof to give more height to each bunk.
Did not think of putting inverter in on build thats a great idea thanks.
Spare under van

The question for us are:
Two or three water tanks?
We're going three - two plus one dedicated drinking water one. Crusader can fit a switch, and are also adding a pump that can draw water from rivers and creeks so we can use two for shower and sinks etc and doesn't matter where it fills from and how hard/minerally/other the water is; the third always has clean drinking water.
Fridge: 3 way or Waeco style. Same question for us; Christian @StoneStomper has a compressor fridge in his. Not something we'd considered before, but the more threads I read, the more open we are.
Club vs L shape: If we dropping one table down as a bed is a L shape better as you have the length. It also make the van look more open inside. We can put a chair on the end so easier to fit 6 of us around. Although your idea moving the door down so extra space is a good one.
I really like the large club lounge found in the big Expanda's. Not sure can get that big :)
we're determined to go as big as possible. We put chairs at the end too. Those tall plastic square stools from discount shops are strong, light, fairly comfy and perfect height; we often use 2 in expanda at end of cafe dinette when buddies are around.
Combo vs separate ensuite. Do we take up a lot of space for something you do not use much. We have 4 boys who cannot aim so I always thought a combo you can just shower off :)
like you're thinking! And does save a heap of space. Plus think i mentioned(?); they're happy to put extra overhead cupboards in the ST combo. Gonna put storage everywhere we can that works!
Internal vs external boot. I love that rear boot although you loose a foot of internal space if I keep to the same length. It also adds I think 200kg so have to think of overall weight. If we do not go slide out kitchen and a traditional front boot like the model there now then chairs,BBQ etc will fit in those fine.
Slide out kitchen or not: If we do not go rear boot we need the room in the tunnel. If we want to set the annex up you need a front wall the zips up.
They have a verandah addition that can be added to the annex to provide shelter and shade for the slide out; we're going this option.
Bunks on side wall or boot: Side wall equals large windows more open although takes up more space. I like how @Angus has done it in the plan above. He picked up two extra pantry/wardrobes. and kept his length down.
we're going the East-west bunks across the back (but again, we only have three, not four kids. Are putting max size windows in at the head of each bunk as per the mantaray triple bunk. Am putting together sketch plan of conglomeration of NewAge mantaray meets family getabout with our own twist; happy to flick it through when it's closer to done.
Washing machine: If we go internal machine and no rear boot we loose a shelf in the cupboard with top loader. We could also just use our small dual tub we have now and not go inbuilt..
Grey Water: Do we go for a tank or a portable device. Some free camp sites now getting strict. Jury's still out for us on this as well. We're thinking portable at this stage. Didn't know places are tightening up?
Bench space vs pantry cupboards? Need space for coffee machine :)one of the things i'm going back to sus out the best position for this week! (Love the smell of it, but I don't drink coffee. A non-negotiable for our champion driver, though :tea:
Silver or white :) we were undecided until we learned that apparently white handles a lot better in heat.. apparently some people have had issues with the silver soaking up the rays, expanding, and having trouble fitting back together quite the same way. Any one know anything about this?

Have replied in the body of the quote above..
Decisions, decisions!!

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Your up early :)

We have a couple of ideas for bunks. Most of the rest we pretty settled on. We are trying not to go crazy on the layout I rather have each kid in a bed. They can do a table that drops down quickly which would be plan B.
Actually plan B is go there old stock van as per video below just make a little longer for club lounge.

I want to get length and weight down so rear boot (60cm's) which looks super is gone so is front boot another 50cm's make the tunnel larger.

List:
Two Solar to start with 240w.
3 Batteries. He said he can dedicate one to the CPAP only.
LPG Heater, we carry LPG on the van.. HWS model only 10 litres :(
Waeco 215l fridge
Extended height roof to give more height to each bunk.
Club lounge as big as we can get.
Extra bench space if we can. Expresso machine always out :)
Combo shower. Sorry Sarah :) With extra height can do cupboards easier.
Portable Grey water
Alu panels.
Interesting silver vs white.. I do not care really I said white easier to see in the rain.

No Washing machine or maybe top loader if there is space we just bring our portable one.
No Slide out kitchen want to keep length and weight down so need the boot space.

Bunks are the thing..
We thought three against side north/south and one up high across the rear over cupboards/ large boot behind Combo.
Or if we go east/west and storage inside against wall with a cupboard which maybe fit her washing machine in. Not sure how claustrophobic it will be as with the combo on one side and closed in on the other.. You would loose that open area like the Manta Ray or what @Angus did.

The other choice is to do two doubles so the kids can sit up.. split the underneath into half inside drawers and half outside storage. Less storage more open.
No idea how they would hold up the bunks? A pole in the middle I think this might cause to many problems.
If you look at a 17.58 like we have I think it will be a problem
upload_2015-8-2_8-46-25.png

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
Just thought then.. What about all 4 bunks cantilevered.. 2xEW, 2xNS.
Kids don't need any room for feet, just to sit up.
Stayed at a little B&B in Castlemaine that had them.. Were great. Could add cupboards or drawers under second one up.
Just keep stacking:
image.jpg

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
The silver vs white thing?
I have had both white and silver cars and think that they handle the hot weather about the same and silver looks a lot nicer (my taste). I also cannot see why silver would be hotter than white as they both are highly reflective of most wavelengths of visible and Infra Red (IR) light. Silver is what most reflectors are coated with and this because it is an efficient reflector of most wavelengths of light (including IR).

Some science, sorry:
All dark colours absorb more energy and hence heat up, just sit a black car with no A/C in hot weather. Dark colours do radiate a lot of energy in the infra red (non visible IR and thermal IR) so can cool quickly once in the shade, but will absorb energy quickly in the sun. Also there is a thing called "black body radiation" if you have any conductive surface like corrugated iron or aluminium sheeting it will heat in the sun and reradiate energy in the thermal IR part of the spectrum in all directions, but it is very noticeable underneath. It can get very hot in the shade under a non insulated corrugated iron roof that is in the sun, also a non insulated caravan can heat up very quickly.

So the best colour for a caravan should be a light colour (silver or white) which reflects most incoming solar radiation (in warm climates), also a caravan should be well insulated. Note, that good insulation will also slow cooling down in the evening.

Regards
Terry

PS Our last two 4WD are silver, our previous two 4WD were white, we also travelled a lot in central Australia in hot weather and noted little difference in temperature in the 4WD. Also our last caravan was white and next will be silver.

Reactions: The Wadamses

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
not sure that would work for 4 with the height. Three yes.
I did think 2 and 2 in L shape although not really anything to hold them up.
At the moment leaning to boring normal layout :)
Definitely have to get the heights right, but pretty sure can actually go for four comfortably enough bc effectively same height as a triple (bc of cantilever. Especially if going with the extended height that Crusader (and others?) offer in rear of van.
These are really close together and still provide plenty of room for feet; from memory was only about 300mm. Fred @ Butterworth Cottage is the owner; he built them in. Am sure he'd be happy to give you exact distance between two. :)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I have seen that setup in old English vans. Yes I spent a lot of time looking for ideas :). I think the Poms have more kids a lot of 4 bunk Euro vans around :) Although most the front couch is the main bed. They do not have problems it seems setting up and packing up every day. Maybe we just lazy :)

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
The silver vs white thing?
I have had both white and silver cars and think that they handle the hot weather about the same and silver looks a lot nicer (my taste). I also cannot see why silver would be hotter than white as they both are highly reflective of most wavelengths of visible and Infra Red (IR) light. Silver is what most reflectors are coated with and this because it is an efficient reflector of most wavelengths of light (including IR).

Some science, sorry:
All dark colours absorb more energy and hence heat up, just sit a black car with no A/C in hot weather. Dark colours do radiate a lot of energy in the infra red (non visible IR and thermal IR) so can cool quickly once in the shade, but will absorb energy quickly in the sun. Also there is a thing called "black body radiation" if you have any conductive surface like corrugated iron or aluminium sheeting it will heat in the sun and reradiate energy in the thermal IR part of the spectrum in all directions, but it is very noticeable underneath. It can get very hot in the shade under a non insulated corrugated iron roof that is in the sun, also a non insulated caravan can heat up very quickly.

So the best colour for a caravan should be a light colour (silver or white) which reflects most incoming solar radiation (in warm climates), also a caravan should be well insulated. Note, that good insulation will also slow cooling down in the evening.

Regards
Terry

PS Our last two 4WD are silver, our previous two 4WD were white, we also travelled a lot in central Australia in hot weather and noted little difference in temperature in the 4WD. Also our last caravan was white and next will be silver.
We were all set for our new van to be silver but spoke to a van salesman recently that said some ppl had a bit of trouble in extreme heat with the silver profile cladding expanding and then not contracting as smoothly (various brands), so causing buckling, and highly recommended white. Anyone else heard of this?

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
We were all set for our new van to be silver but spoke to a van salesman recently that said some ppl had a bit of trouble in extreme heat with the silver profile cladding expanding and then not contracting as smoothly (various brands), so causing buckling, and highly recommended white. Anyone else heard of this?
Sounds to me like the salesman wanted to sell you white?
I think his silver vs white comment is sales bulldust, the physics just does not make sense, as there are many silver caravans on the road from many manufacturers. Kedron have been using silver aluminium cladding for some time and they did not warn us off. They normally charge extra for silver, but as part of our deal included it in the price. Aeroplanes are often silver and they suffer extremes of temperature such as 35C to 40C on the ground and 0C or lower in the upper atmosphere and they seem to cope ok and not buckle.
Would love to see a photo of this problem if it exists, which I doubt. It is a shame as this sounds like yet a another baseless rumour from some sales person for their own gain. It also sad as it made you not go for your first colour preference. White is a nice colour for a caravan and I am sure you new van will look great.
Regards
Terry

Reactions: The Wadamses

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
Cheers Terry. Haven't actually committed to a colour yet so all good!
That's one of the reasons I love this forum so much... Lots of generous people with expertise, experience, questions and/or opinions and reflections on so many aspects of vanning they're willing to share means we can nut out a whole lot of what works, what doesn't, what's real and what's BS before we commit and find out the hard way.

Our current Expanda is so much better for mods we've made from suggestions we've found here, and for this new van we're about to go with, so many threads and people on here have saved us a world of 'if only we'd...', 'I wish that...', and 'in our next van...'.
I love it that we've been able to gather so many great ideas and technologies we may never have come across otherwise and incorporate them into a van that's gonna be sooo much better than we ever could've come up with on our own.
(So thanks to everyone who's a part of :semi-twins:Team ExpandasDownUnder:semi-twins::semi-twins::semi-twins:)

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Yes I might of seen that one @Bushman 27' too big. 21-22" scaring me :) I also like to keep ATM down.
What about bunks up the where the double bed is ? 4 beds at front and another bunk at the rear. Just a thought. I've thought about a similiar layout for us with just 4 beds at the front and ensuite across the rear, dinette and kitchen in the middle and keep aroud 19 - 20ft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bushman

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
Or the Crusader electric drop-down Q bed over the couch area they have at their Campbellfield display centre is pretty seamless and smooth... That'd give you plenty of extra space. May well leave a hole in the wallet to match, but?!