Just Browsing Cracked drop down table

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have a crack in my drop down table which was caused when we had our washing machine set up next to it and must of been leaning on it while filling the machine with a hose. Lesson learned!!! I'm guessing it's a trip to the plastic welder . Anyone else cracked theirs?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
View attachment 29155 View attachment 29156
I have a crack in my drop down table which was caused when we had our washing machine set up next to it and must of been leaning on it while filling the machine with a hose. Lesson learned!!! I'm guessing it's a trip to the plastic welder . Anyone else cracked theirs?

I purchased a plastic welding kit from the US, its fantastic. Might be worth looking at. I used it to repair a lid on my jet ski, and it worked perfectly, and now I have the kit for other little jobs like yours.

http://www.jbtoolsales.com/portosol...-w-temp-control-tip-rod-brush-and-4-plastics/

Reactions: 17triton and bigcol

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
The decals are probably dearer than the table. I know the tables are dear as poison. I Find with plastic welding, you know it has been repaired and you need same filler material. That's only what my plastic welder tells me when I get my kayak fixed, but that's simple plastic, same as black water pipe. Not sure what plastic they use in a table!
Bugger!

Reactions: 17triton

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
The decals are probably dearer than the table. I know the tables are dear as poison. I Find with plastic welding, you know it has been repaired and you need same filler material. That's only what my plastic welder tells me when I get my kayak fixed, but that's simple plastic, same as black water pipe. Not sure what plastic they use in a table!
Bugger!
There's no decals on mine which is good. I haven't had time to see a welder to see if they can fix it?

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
You will love having a washing machine. You just need to figure out the drain. I had a minor hiccup when I had a bit of sink water come up the washing machine drain pipe. (Glad i was there). Since rectified.
Next handy appliance would be a dryer. We had 3 days of rain recently, it crossed my mind.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Never tried plastic welding looks interesting if you can live with the crack maybe can seal it?

@davemc the plastic welding kit I have uses a modified tip on a gas soldering iron. You can buy the correct plastic types in rods to use to weld, or as @macca mentioned, you can sometimes pinch some plastic from elsewhere on the damaged item to use as the filler to ensure the correct plastic type and colour.

Most plastic items have an indicator somewhere on them as to what the plastic type is, as you must use the correct plastic when welding.

There is quite a bit of info on the net on how to do it.