Compressor fridges

Coldspace

Jan 21, 2018
Shailer park
Hi @Coldspace , I think that working on getting these figures would be rather optimistic IMHO. Continuous generation of that magnitude, for a period of 5 hours with roof top panels in fixed position is unlikely and a real gamble. And as you said, flat panels not angled to the sun all the time suffer a 20%? reduction in output, not to mention losses due to heat build up. From my own experiences off grid with 380w of portable panels in series that I can move around as necessary together with the more efficient MPPT controller harvesting/converting all sunlight (and excess voltage) to max current, I have never been able to generate anywhere near that amount (maybe my batteries were not low enough???) and I would certainly not work on that scenario if my fridge needed power from batteries. But then I could be wrong!! But actual field operation often finds errors in theory!
Hi @Coldspace , I think that working on getting these figures would be rather optimistic IMHO. Continuous generation of that magnitude, for a period of 5 hours with roof top panels in fixed position is unlikely and a real gamble. And as you said, flat panels not angled to the sun all the time suffer a 20%? reduction in output, not to mention losses due to heat build up. From my own experiences off grid with 380w of portable panels in series that I can move around as necessary together with the more efficient MPPT controller harvesting/converting all sunlight (and excess voltage) to max current, I have never been able to generate anywhere near that amount (maybe my batteries were not low enough???) and I would certainly not work on that scenario if my fridge needed power from batteries. But then I could be wrong!! But actual field operation often finds errors in theory!

My brother in laws van had to be parked out in the sun at our latest trip and he has 360 watts flat on roof, so roughly 280 watts when down graded efficiency to angled panel . This was tested when the sun was up past 10.30 and before 2 pm and it was pushing in upto 20 amps @ 13.5 volts charge capacity via redarc mppt dc dc charger at the peak between 11 and 1 . Tested with and inline meter .It peaked each day between 11 am and 1 pm, but was still pushing out nearly15 amps just before 2.30 pm, but this tends to drop away fast from there. He was seeing easily above 13amps at 13.5 volts for close to 4.5 hrs each clear day last week. Would of been even more and for longer earlier this year.

So, we have done 2 tests on 2 diff vans one in shade using 320 watts of folding angled towards sun in morning, spun around for the arvo, and the other van in full sun with roof mounted 360 watts of glass, all wired in big gauge cable via quality chargers, we did a lot of testing when we were away over the school hols and the figures quoted were on the money as we both are in the similar various fields of work so it was abit of fun doing it whilst doing farm activities with the kids.

Overall he can generate on a fine sunny day if the batts are low enough to allow the charger to put in max amps it can provide well over 100 amp hrs of juice easily if the batts require in clear days at the peak of summer. The problem we were both having doing the tests was usually our batts were getting in float mode by lunch or before so the chargers backed right off and the amps on the meters dropped right down, so we had to put load on the vans by firing up fans etc through the inveters to try and get more accurate results through out the day to keep the chargers in boost mode but even then they would cover the load we could do, so ample power.

We were measuring the current and amps before the redarc and then monitored the volts at the batt posts to work out a true imput current at the charge voltage.... For eg, at my peaks I was seeing over 310 watts on the inline meter and the batt posts were reading 13.4 volts whilst the redarc was in boost mode, this equates to a charge current at the battery posts of 23.13 amps, less 10% for redarc efficiency and it would still be more than 20 amps.

We had one real over cast days for most of it so the next day was clear so it was interesting to watch the gear run and the chargers do their thing, but it still got up easily to float.

In Qld you can count on in good clear weather in summer around 5 peak hrs of generation. Winter maybe 4.

So if your in the southern states this will drop back alittle as well.

I still recon with 360 watts of flat glass in resonable weather and 2 good batts you could easily get away with 3-5 days running compressor fridge and other things in the van if sensible as what the original poster was looking for. He could easily generate 80 amps plus per day in good weather if set up right which would easily get him through 5 days which he was looking for , especially if he factored in diminishing capacity that I mentioned earlier if the weather was abit patchy,
Or he will need an alternative power source past 2 days if full overcast/raining..

We kept our vans off grid for 9 days, and my brother in laws flat glass and 2 batts never went lower than 60-70% each day and that was running 3 way fridge, but 60 ltr Engel outside, 2 kids and missus doing everything from charging phones, laptops, lights, 2 showers each per day, tv at night for a few hrs, and the odd cloudy day or so.
And because the weather was good he needed no additional charging. He only runs a small inveter to charge laptop or run a small fan.

I only had to fire up the car Dc dc imput when we used the microwave occasionally , not because of lack of amps in the batts more so to protect them abit from the short but massive current hit when the microwave booted up. But other things like a small 700watt toaster in the morning brecky or fans, charger I did not worry about it and just ran off the batts by themselves .

If the weather was worse then it would of been a whole diff story for us both to rely on just solar, but we got our dc dc chargers as back up.

If the original poster was looking at longer stays then he would need more solar and say 3 batts, to cover things or additional source .

I recon, if you are into off grid camping for longer than 3 days, no matter if you run compressor fridge inside or out like we do and /or 3 way fridge then relying on solar no matter how much you got is risky and one day it may make you look for a powered site to replenish things, better to have a redundancy source either generator or dc dc charger so not to ruin the holiday plans.

Plus toys are fun...

Cheers

Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
My brother in laws van had to be parked out in the sun at our latest trip and he has 360 watts flat on roof, so roughly 280 watts when down graded efficiency to angled panel . This was tested when the sun was up past 10.30 and before 2 pm and it was pushing in upto 19 amps @ 13.5 volts charge capacity via redarc mppt dc dc charger at the peak between 11 and 1 . Tested with and inline meter .It peaked each day between 11 am and 1 pm, but was still pushing out 15 amps at 2.30 pm, but this tends to drop away fast from there. He was seeing easily above 15 amps at 13.5 volts for close to 4.5 hrs each clear day last week. Would of been even more and for longer earlier this year.

So, we have done 2 tests on 2 diff vans one in shade using 320 watts of folding angled towards sun in morning, spun around for the arvo, and the other van in full sun with roof mounted 360 watts of glass, all wired in big gauge cable via quality chargers, we did a lot of testing when we were away over the school hols and the figures quoted were on the money as we both are in the similar various fields of work so it was abit of fun doing it whilst doing farm activities with the kids.

Overall he can generate on a fine sunny day if the batts are low enough to allow the charger to put in max amps it can provide well over 100 amp hrs of juice easily if the batts require. The problem we were both having doing the tests was usually our batts were getting in float mode by lunch or before so the chargers backed right off and the amps on the meters dropped right down, so we had to put load on the vans by firing up fans etc through the inveters to try and get more accurate results through out the day to keep the chargers in boost mode but even then they would cover the load we could do, so ample power.

We were measuring the current and amps before the redarc and then monitored the volts at the batt posts to work out a true imput current at the charge voltage....

We had one real over cast days for most of it so the next day was clear so it was interesting to watch the gear run and the chargers do their thing, but it still got up easily to float.

In Qld you can count on in good clear weather in summer around 5 peak hrs of generation. Winter maybe 4.

I still recon with 360 watts of flat glass in resonable weather and 2 good batts you could easily get away with 3-5 days running compressor fridge and other things in the van if sensible as what the original poster was looking for.

We kept our vans off grid for 9 days, and my brother in laws flat glass and 2 batts never went lower than 70% each day and that was running 3 way fridge, but 60 ltr Engel outside, 2 kids and missus doing everything from charging phones, laptops, lights, 2 showers each per day, tv at night for a few hrs, and the odd cloudy day or so.
And because the weather was good he needed no additional charging.

If the weather was worse then it would of been a whole diff story for us both to rely on just solar, but we got our dc dc chargers as back up.

Cheers

Well @Coldspace , you have done the field testing and seen the results. I must say I am surprised. And stand corrected too!! Perhaps my generation was never put to the full test like you have professionally done. Gives me a bit more confidence on what I may be able to achieve if the necessity arose. Thanks for the feed back. I will now retreat into my hole under a rock!!

Coldspace

Jan 21, 2018
Shailer park
Don't retreat to the hole, :)

The results did surprise us alittle but in the scheme of things a lot of guys loose 20% or more running thin cables and even more using cheap controllers plus multiple other things.

Qld is prob one of the best places for solar, but I would still not go away for more than 3 days without another charging system, especially with compressor fridges.

I'm going to do some tests at home in winter soon to see how my panels go with the van under my carport and waeco fridge with drinks etc and 40 ltr engel freezer with food etc in it out side of the van as the missus wants a freezer now to take more meals when away and less shop visits and monitor the batts over the course of a few weeks .

I'll try with my panels facing north at the angle of the sun all day, maybe chase the sun abit if I'm home, and also try with them flat on the ground in full sun and see how it all goes with the 2 small compressor fridges and couple of lights on in the van maybe run the tv for a few hrs at night to try and replicate a trip away for 2-3 weeks.

Sounds crazy , well my wife might think so but I'm curious to see, and see if a few bad weather days get thrown in the mix.

I will deff boot up the 240 charger if the batts get down to 50-60%

I'll report back when done..

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Don't retreat to the hole, :)

The results did surprise us alittle but in the scheme of things a lot of guys loose 20% or more running thin cables and even more using cheap controllers plus multiple other things.

Qld is prob one of the best places for solar, but I would still not go away for more than 3 days without another charging system, especially with compressor fridges.

I'm going to do some tests at home in winter soon to see how my panels go with the van under my carport and waeco fridge with drinks etc and 40 ltr engel freezer with food etc in it out side of the van as the missus wants a freezer now to take more meals when away and less shop visits and monitor the batts over the course of a few weeks .

I'll try with my panels facing north at the angle of the sun all day, maybe chase the sun abit if I'm home, and also try with them flat on the ground in full sun and see how it all goes with the 2 small compressor fridges and couple of lights on in the van maybe run the tv for a few hrs at night to try and replicate a trip away for 2-3 weeks.

Sounds crazy , well my wife might think so but I'm curious to see, and see if a few bad weather days get thrown in the mix.

I will deff boot up the 240 charger if the batts get down to 50-60%

I'll report back when done..

Thanks again @Coldspace . It is great to have someone doing separate and independent testing and letting others know the results. I certainly appreciate the info you have provided. Look forward to how your "crazy " checking fairs under all the different conditions. I am just as crazy so don't think you are alone in doing that!! Whilst I do not have a compressor fridge and extra power hungry devices, our off grid camping is very simple, and so far I have got away with only 1 X 120ah AGM and the two folding portable panels with MPPT controller. I guess that my voltage/power losses are very small with my arrangement of series connection (30 to 37 volts indicated) at solar panels, and I am still using using 8mm cables 15 metres long to a good controller. Perhaps overkill?? But it paid off when 5 out of the 7 days were cloudy, raining at times or low cloud as fog during out last trip to Jimna.

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
My brother in laws van had to be parked out in the sun at our latest trip and he has 360 watts flat on roof, so roughly 280 watts when down graded efficiency to angled panel . This was tested when the sun was up past 10.30 and before 2 pm and it was pushing in upto 20 amps @ 13.5 volts charge capacity via redarc mppt dc dc charger at the peak between 11 and 1 . Tested with and inline meter .It peaked each day between 11 am and 1 pm, but was still pushing out nearly15 amps just before 2.30 pm, but this tends to drop away fast from there. He was seeing easily above 13amps at 13.5 volts for close to 4.5 hrs each clear day last week. Would of been even more and for longer earlier this year.

Overall he can generate on a fine sunny day if the batts are low enough to allow the charger to put in max amps it can provide well over 100 amp hrs of juice easily if the batts require in clear days at the peak of summer. The problem we were both having doing the tests was usually our batts were getting in float mode by lunch or before so the chargers backed right off and the amps on the meters dropped right down, so we had to put load on the vans by firing up fans etc through the inveters to try and get more accurate results through out the day to keep the chargers in boost mode but even then they would cover the load we could do, so ample power.

We were measuring the current and amps before the redarc and then monitored the volts at the batt posts to work out a true imput current at the charge voltage.... For eg, at my peaks I was seeing over 310 watts on the inline meter and the batt posts were reading 13.4 volts whilst the redarc was in boost mode, this equates to a charge current at the battery posts of 23.13 amps, less 10% for redarc efficiency and it would still be more than 20 amps.

I still recon with 360 watts of flat glass in resonable weather and 2 good batts you could easily get away with 3-5 days running compressor fridge and other things in the van if sensible as what the original poster was looking for. He could easily generate 80 amps plus per day in good weather if set up right which would easily get him through 5 days which he was looking for , especially if he factored in diminishing capacity that I mentioned earlier if the weather was abit patchy,
Or he will need an alternative power source past 2 days if full overcast/raining..

We kept our vans off grid for 9 days, and my brother in laws flat glass and 2 batts never went lower than 60-70% each day and that was running 3 way fridge, but 60 ltr Engel outside, 2 kids and missus doing everything from charging phones, laptops, lights, 2 showers each per day, tv at night for a few hrs, and the odd cloudy day or so.
And because the weather was good he needed no additional charging. He only runs a small inveter to charge laptop or run a small fan.

I only had to fire up the car Dc dc imput when we used the microwave occasionally , not because of lack of amps in the batts more so to protect them abit from the short but massive current hit when the microwave booted up. But other things like a small 700watt toaster in the morning brecky or fans, charger I did not worry about it and just ran off the batts by themselves .

If the original poster was looking at longer stays then he would need more solar and say 3 batts, to cover things or additional source .

I recon, if you are into off grid camping for longer than 3 days, no matter if you run compressor fridge inside or out like we do and /or 3 way fridge then relying on solar no matter how much you got is risky and one day it may make you look for a powered site to replenish things, better to have a redundancy source either generator or dc dc charger so not to ruin the holiday plans.

Plus toys are fun...

Cheers

Hi Coldspace,

Very interesting read there, the fridge option is looking promising.

Reactions: Coldspace

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi Coldspace,

Very interesting read there, the fridge option is looking promising.

@GUlewis , after being put in my place by @Coldspace about ability to provide enough charge from solar panels, the evidence speaks for itself. My doubt was probably because my batteries did not get so low, and did not need to be charged for as long before controller dropped rate of charge to float status. Hence less amp hour charge recorded over that time!!
But @Coldspace did put in a few provisos worth considering. Don't forget that he is able to use his DC to DC charger as back up to solar, so he is sitting pretty!! Looks like it is quite feasible to me now if sufficient solar and battery storage.
All you have to do now is calculate weight and space in van and finances to see if it is worth your gamble of wanting a large compressor fridge. Perhaps a dual axle van coming up??

Reactions: millers

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Budget and the type of 'van I want really limits my choice, so it has to be a single axle. Plus I'm looking at the smaller Waeco 140L fridge instead of the 190L as it should do the job and use around 2.5amps instead of 8amps roughly an hour. I'm considering an extra two 120w panels as it already comes with twin batteries and a single 120w panel as standard. This should leave plenty in reserve and not effect the payload or back pocket too much.

Oh and also the input from everyone has been sensational, appreciate it all.

Coldspace

Jan 21, 2018
Shailer park
gulewis, that's a good load, 2.5 amps per hour similar to large portable fridge.. Is that averaged out or the max draw when the compressor is on for that model ?
Must be averaged out. At 8 amps for the bigger fridge, then you will be having issues.

If it's only when cycling on, then during the day even if running more than 40-50 mins an hr your solar will still run the fridge with no draw off the batts and the extra amps even if only 3-5 for early morning / mid arvo will go into the batts. Maybe 12 -15 into the batts for several hrs middle of the day if sunny after fridge load is deducted.So over night say 12 hours your fridge might only pull out 25-30 amps out of the batts , that's if your run time was continuous over night, but if it cycles off even for 30 mins per hr overnight after bed you might even use less like 15-20 over night as it's cooler, and not been opened . So your charger only needs to put in say 20 amps into the batts the next day to get you back into even territory for the fridge use, then say 20 amps last night for the led lights , pump and small tv , then your solar will replace this in moderate weather by the next day as well as supplying the fridge with power.

If it's an averaged out consumption then your looking at 60 a day, although 2/3 rds of the juice will be used during the day and fed from the solar.

Real Bad solar day, like solid rain days etc then your system might only provide enough for fridge draw that day as well as a few items like pumps occasionally etc, and that night you will be starting to going backwards. Sunny next day and you will recover, bad next day then you will be looking at alternative power into day 3 or risk the batts going under 50%, which for once every blue moon won't be too bad. If you look at a graph showing cycles of batts compared to discharge rates they deff go a lot less cycles below 50% they drop away real fast, but if you got into trouble for a day or so and they dropped down to 30% then I wouldn't worry if you can get them back onto a charger in a reasonable time frame. The sweet spot seems to be 60-70% for practical use and longevity. But 50% is not that far behind, 40% to 30% drops away real fast.

Patchy day, followed by resonable day and the great thing of deminishing capacity for short stays will get you through 5 days and stay above 50 %
With the equipment your looking at. Good clear days and you will go a lot longer, bad weather , out comes the generator day 3.

I've had my batts down to 30% or even less several times in our old van and they still latest 8 odd years as they were always kept float charged at home .but they say above 50 or better still 60% is best. What really kills them if they are left too long in a discharged state, so I would not loose any sleep for the odd once in a blue moon down to 30%, but still better to try not too.

Hot sunny days the fridge will use more juice but your solar will provide more amps = win. At least something works togeather :)

That size fridge /draw and the free camping your looking at for a week in average to good weather you should be fine.

But I'd still have a redundancy plan, if your getting the solar put on, will they sell you a dc dc charger /solar mppt controller instead of just a controller .?

This would give you the added source you may need if bad weather was around for longer than 3 days or so..

If not then you could always get your setup as proposed and easily add in aRedarc or similar down the track if needed.

Just remenber, some patchy days can be nice and sunny early/mid morning, late arvo and cloudy in the middle of the day when flat panels work best.

One thing to note....
Our tests recently had one day like this and even though it's a nice day, a marked reduction in generation was noted compared to the next similar day that we woke upto rain and cloud which cleared by 10 ish and nice and sunny till early arvo then the later the rain came back, this day produced a lot more amps than the day before even though the day before was abetter day out camping . So even though things sound ok, you can't predict the weather and clouds, and the time clouds might be coming over can make a big diff, but with an alternate source , who cares and get on with enjoying the bush. I love camping and the enjoyment of been self sufficient . Would love to live off grid in a permanent off grid house one day in the future.

Highly recommend alternate source, and if you don't like generators and fuels etc , fit a dc dc big charger , as they only weigh 500 grms. And gives you piece of mind.

Good luck

Last edited:

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Sounds good to me, the 2.5amps was the current draw when the compressor is running, so as you mentioned about running times, 45mins in the hour, less at night, it should be fine. Just need to check out a display caravan with this fridge in it to make sure I'm satisfied before I do anything else.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Sounds good to me, the 2.5amps was the current draw when the compressor is running, so as you mentioned about running times, 45mins in the hour, less at night, it should be fine. Just need to check out a display caravan with this fridge in it to make sure I'm satisfied before I do anything else.
Hi @GUlewis,
what are the model numbers of the 140l and 180l Waeco fridges. It seems strange that for an extra 40l of capacity the current draw is more than tripled from 2.5A to 8A.

cheers
Mike

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Very interesting posts I must say, wish I was more attentive as have been in a perfect position to check things these last 7 weeks camping under the panel power, shade at the moment is a bit of a problem at the moment and the 120w portable has to do the work as the 200w in getting shadow but it's keeping things up there by the end of the day, nearly washing day so the LRPS will fire up to run the washing machine so batteries will get a shot as well..........

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Two models I'm considering are the waeco CRX140 and the RPD190. I'm keen on the 140 mainly due to cost and I'm already running a fridge freezer in the back of the car.

Reactions: Drover

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hang in there @1DayIll , all is not lost. Fellow members on this forum - @bigcol and @Crusty181 have said the same thing, but have taken on board that which they believe will suit their situation and are now able to pass on their own experiences to others. I will try to put up some comparisons on different solar panels, portable and fixed as well as the newer folding type. All have their pros and cons and technology is constantly improving, so nothing stays the same. Stay tuned.
What part about portable panels interested you??

Thanks for your encouragement , I am not in the market yet and really do not understand what works and not in my van when not on mains. I do have a battery and know the lights work and it is charged from both car and when connected to mains power.
i would like to do some more free camping and so would need to set up with wires etc and having as portable seems a good option.
I will keep reading the messages and when I have a better understanding of my needs, I will let you know.
I like reading what others are doing and hope to one day do some of it myself.
Thanks again.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Two models I'm considering are the waeco CRX140 and the RPD190. I'm keen on the 140 mainly due to cost and I'm already running a fridge freezer in the back of the car.
Hi @GUlewis,
I looked at the Dometic site. After a bit of trawling through specs and manuals, my best estimate for the energy usage on these two fridges is:

CRX140: 565Wh over 24h with fridge at 5C and ambient temperature of 32C: At 12V, this would be 47Ah over 24h which is an average of 1.96A (from the Dometic Website). The capacity of this fridge is 135l. (including 11l freezer). It has a tropical rating (T).

RPD190: 886Wh over 24h with fridge at 3C and ambient temperature of 32C: at 12V, this would be 73.8Ah over 24h which is an average of 3.1A (from the fridge manual downloaded from the Dometic site. The capacity of this fridge is 190l (including 44l freezer). It has a tropical rating (T).

These numbers seem to compare resonably well: 0.348Ah per litre for the CRX140 and 0.388Ah per litre for the RPD190. So the smaller fridge appears to be about 10% more efficient. (I have neglected the fact that the RPD190 is measured with the fridge at 3C whereas the CRX140 is taken at 5C). Best guess is they are equally energy efficient.

These are under ideal conditions. I would suspect without opening the door!
One thing to take into consideration is that the CRX140 is a single door. You will loose cold air from the fridge every time you want to access the freezer. The RPD190 will not have that problem.

I would suggest doubling these figures to allow for opening the door(s) which will introduce hot air and also for stocking the fridge with warm products.
Therefore, my best estimate for estimating power provisioning would be 94Ah per day for the CRX140 and 147Ah per day for the RPD190 over the summer period.

cheers
Mike

Reactions: G Daddy

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
Hi @GUlewis,
I looked at the Dometic site. After a bit of trawling through specs and manuals, my best estimate for the energy usage on these two fridges is:

CRX140: 565Wh over 24h with fridge at 5C and ambient temperature of 32C: At 12V, this would be 47Ah over 24h which is an average of 1.96A (from the Dometic Website). The capacity of this fridge is 135l. (including 11l freezer). It has a tropical rating (T).

RPD190: 886Wh over 24h with fridge at 3C and ambient temperature of 32C: at 12V, this would be 73.8Ah over 24h which is an average of 3.1A (from the fridge manual downloaded from the Dometic site. The capacity of this fridge is 190l (including 44l freezer). It has a tropical rating (T).

These numbers seem to compare resonably well: 0.348Ah per litre for the CRX140 and 0.388Ah per litre for the RPD190. So the smaller fridge appears to be about 10% more efficient. (I have neglected the fact that the RPD190 is measured with the fridge at 3C whereas the CRX140 is taken at 5C). Best guess is they are equally energy efficient.

These are under ideal conditions. I would suspect without opening the door!
One thing to take into consideration is that the CRX140 is a single door. You will loose cold air from the fridge every time you want to access the freezer. The RPD190 will not have that problem.

I would suggest doubling these figures to allow for opening the door(s) which will introduce hot air and also for stocking the fridge with warm products.
Therefore, my best estimate for estimating power provisioning would be 94Ah per day for the CRX140 and 147Ah per day for the RPD190 over the summer period.

cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike, not as bad as I first thought. Actually makes the 190L seem rather efficient given its size, just a shame its quite expensive to upgrade to one of these.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you can , I would go the 2 door fridge, always a better deal and you have more freezer space.......

GUlewis

Feb 6, 2013
Perth
There is the option of going a two door three way but a two door compressor is not in budget unfortunately

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I know that problem only to well, all in all I think I would go a 2 door 3 way, the freezer is worth it I reckon since cost/ weight is an issue, the fridge may get to 10 deg when it hot (35+) but not for long if you keep the door closed, the freezer doesn't seem to be effected...ice cream stays hard.......single door the freezers are a pain for long trips.....7 weeks on gas mostly, beer has always been cold and we had a week of 35's.......

Reactions: bigcol