Electrical CMS and non CMS wiring

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Hey guys,

I am looking at replacing a few of the 240v GPO's with the 240v/dual usb plates for the kids to charge their devices, etc.

I'm a little confused as some are marked as "suitable for CMS cabling, as fitting in most late model Jaycos".

1) How do I know if I have CMS wiring or "other"?
2) What's the difference between CMS and "other"
3) Does it matter?

The replacement will be done by a mate who is a qualified Sparky so no issues there.

From what I have seen I think I have CMS and it just seems to be a "plug and play" version of modules and wires. Is that about the sum of it (in which case I can just get https://www.caravansplus.com.au/cms...wer-point-with-dual-4a-usb-white-p-17123.html to replace the current GPO's and run some 12v from the fuse box to them.

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
No you can just unplug the old one and plug in the new one yourself. But note that the power point you are looking at still needs 12v wiring separately to it, so you may as well just run a 12v cable and install a USB plug like this one
Plug.jpg

get them of ebay for about $10 and save yourself $50

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
No you can just unplug the old one and plug in the new one yourself. But note that the power point you are looking at still needs 12v wiring separately to it, so you may as well just run a 12v cable and install a USB plug like this one
View attachment 57766
get them of ebay for about $10 and save yourself $50
Fair point - can't see the forest for the tree's. Sometimes the easiest solutions are in front of me.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hey guys,

I am looking at replacing a few of the 240v GPO's with the 240v/dual usb plates for the kids to charge their devices, etc.

I'm a little confused as some are marked as "suitable for CMS cabling, as fitting in most late model Jaycos".

1) How do I know if I have CMS wiring or "other"?
2) What's the difference between CMS and "other"
3) Does it matter?

The replacement will be done by a mate who is a qualified Sparky so no issues there.

From what I have seen I think I have CMS and it just seems to be a "plug and play" version of modules and wires. Is that about the sum of it (in which case I can just get https://www.caravansplus.com.au/cms...wer-point-with-dual-4a-usb-white-p-17123.html to replace the current GPO's and run some 12v from the fuse box to them.
Here's my 2 bob worth. Caravan GPOs differ from household GPO's in that they have to be "double poled', isolating both active and neutral. They often look the same, but they're not. Yr sparkie should know that anyway. RV Parts Express supply CMS stuff, and you buy the various length of plug and play leads and adapters to suit your needs, just piggy backing from existing plugs to the new ones, very easy system which I suspect was created to eliminate the need for sparkies to work the assembly lines in caravan factories.

I installed Narva 12v cig plugs, and then use high capacity USB chargers which far out perform the wall mounted USB options and also provide the bonus of the general cig socket for other stuff. High output USB chargers arent cheap, but combined with the cig socket offer better performance, better options and you can also use them in the car for quick charging. The high performance chargers can more than double the USB outputs, and halve your charging times
images2.jpg images.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I would go for the dedictaed USB socket instead of the GPO's, then you can select the actual voltage required, they can be fitted in far more positons than a big power point. Not all USBs provide the same power so a slection of outputs can be made available, I prefer not to use those cig socket adaptors as they can get very hot.....

Clewsy

Apr 17, 2017
Cairns
Ditto to that. I did installed a couple of 12v usb dual outlets. Can use them off grid also. Same in ute i replaced cig outlet for usb.

Reactions: Drover

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Picked up the van yesterday for storage to start getting it ready - seems I forgot I had the dealer wire in a cig socket to each bunk and the rear fold out bed when I purchased the van (the front bed also has one - not sure if this was standard or not).

So it's all good.

Still need my mate to come around and fit a power switch on the outside of the cupboard to controller the hot water when on mains - I am far more likely to turn it off for the day if I don't need to lift the mattress/panel to get to the switch.

Reactions: Drover

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
Picked up the van yesterday for storage to start getting it ready - seems I forgot I had the dealer wire in a cig socket to each bunk and the rear fold out bed when I purchased the van (the front bed also has one - not sure if this was standard or not).

So it's all good.

Still need my mate to come around and fit a power switch on the outside of the cupboard to controller the hot water when on mains - I am far more likely to turn it off for the day if I don't need to lift the mattress/panel to get to the switch.
Why bother turning it off.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's handy to be able to turn it off easily, if at home or someones place it's best to not let it run all the time as they will chew a heap of power, also if it's easy to turn off you won't leave it on and damage things if there's a big delay from plugging van in to power and turning on water.........found it's best to leave the little switch outside ON and turn ON/OFF at power point....thats for Surburban's.

Miket351

Sep 15, 2017
Perth
A question for those in the know....

I am looking at installing 2 dual USB/CIG sockets. I under the table and the other in the bed head of my new Starcraft 19.61.

It will be easier for me to run a seperate line off the controller then off an existing light switch.

My question is this: do I only need to run a positive and negative line into the controller with a seperate fuse? Also what cable and fuse load would you use?

Cheers
73074254-C5A1-4921-B86E-70B54F7E8641.jpeg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Your power supply will have limits per circuit and in total. Voltage drop is a potential issue dependant on how far you need to run the wire. 6mm dual core pos/neg would be fine for the usb's, but cig socket can accommdate appliances with huge loads, and unlike the usb's I cant control what others will plug into them. A 10amp fuse would limit the potential capacity of the cig sockets to stop overloading and over heating.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Seeing you have some spare spots on there I would use it, if just charging phones etc from the USB socket then a 5 amp should be heaps, there should be a fuse holder under the panel behind the blade terminals so no need to fit an inline fuse but check first, I wouldn't be running high draw units like fridges or inverters from the cig socket at any time......nor would I draw power from a light circuit for anything but lights as sometimes the wiring isn't up to higher draws...I wouldn't use cig sockets anyway but as Crusty said 10 amp for them at least.

Reactions: Crusty181