Exterior Cleaning the exterior 17.56-1

kozza

Jun 14, 2015
Melbourne
Hi all,

I've been trawling the forum for all sorts of ideas -thank you all - and having returned from a fabulous few weeks up to Mackay and then down through Longreach back to Melbourne wondering why we never had the luxury of a van before...

Anyhow after returning home the baby needs a wash - I have managed to get most of the bugs etc off but have a number of tar flecks.

I was hoping that anyone has any tricks or tips to help with bringing back the new look?

Thanks

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
To remove tar try a white spirit or wax and grease remover on a rag. Apply it to the rag and gently rub the tar spots. Polish and wax afterwards to help keep the shine and prevent bugs etc sticking on your next trip.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I just use a cloth with diesel on it to remove the tar after washing down, then wash the area before doing the usual polish routine.

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
I asked are truck driver that lays tar roads what they use and he told me kerosene. Have cleaned many a tar spot off with ease since but the same, wash off with good quality car wash then polish.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I asked are truck driver that lays tar roads what they use and he told me kerosene. Have cleaned many a tar spot off with ease since but the same, wash off with good quality car wash then polish.

A spray with WD40 also gets it off.

Reactions: PhilW

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
When I used to car detail we used a wax remover called Trisol but any of those suggestions above with a good wash and some of the 3m polish you might have got with the van or any other fibreglass polish will bring it up a treat.

Reactions: Drover