CIL Insurance - NO theft Cover for POP TOP Van's either!!!!!!

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
Just an update on the response I got from CIL when asked if theft from a POPtop Van will be covered seeing that it is a soft wall!!

I confirm that the CIL Secure Caravan Insurance Policy would be applied consistently in relation to any caravan which did not have hard walls at the time of the claimed theft. Therefore if it was established that a theft of contents took place from within an expanded ‘pop-top’ caravan, the policy’s exclusion on page 28 would operate.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
So then.................CIL won't cover any Pop-Top, Expandas and presumably Campers then either!

That excludes about 80% of all RV's out there.

Useful company....................NOT!!!:crazy:

Pieter

Sep 1, 2011
Tieri, QLD, Australia
That is what I told them and they just don't seem to care!!! They said it is up to the consumer to read the PDS!!!

Quote "It’s important to understand that the purchaser of an insurance policy, as someone who is entering into a contract with their insurer, is legally obligated to read the policy wording, and should make an informed choice as to whether the cover suits their individual needs. "

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Wow, that's gotta hurt CIL when word spreads......forums can be such a powerful tool!

Cheers.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
unbelievable.

I really thought they'd say it wouldn't be an issue cos the changes of someone climbing up that high would be remote.....

stupid, stupid business decision....

Kimberley D

Sep 13, 2012
Darwin
Wow, thanks everyone. Very timely. Went straight to CIL for a quote as they are advertised everywhere, then remembered to check this trusty forum which is going to be my guide being new to the caravanning world. And, now, no thanks CIL, i'll continue to look elsewhere. I called to clarify to check nothing has changed in the last few hours, and yes, nothing has. Thanks all.

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
I just had a chat with the wife and we'll be changing our policy tomorrow from CIL to someone else - thanks for the info and I will also be give Jayco a little pice of my mind for pushing them in the first place ???

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
I just had a chat with the wife and we'll be changing our policy tomorrow from CIL to someone else - thanks for the info and I will also be give Jayco a little pice of my mind for pushing them in the first place ???

I emailed Brisbane Camperland today to tell them the same thing. Insurer beware :lie:

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
well this might be extreme action anyone thought of letting a national media outlet ( ACA or TODAY TONIGHT ) know what is going on
due to the fact that they seem to deal just with caravans and it looks like jayco seem to push this as the best option for there vans (well it seems that way when i bought my new van ) it seems to be a trust thing ?

any thoughts or i will go back in my box ?

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/feedback.aspx

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/contactus/

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
well this might be extreme action anyone thought of letting a national media outlet ( ACA or TODAY TONIGHT ) know what is going on
due to the fact that they seem to deal just with caravans and it looks like jayco seem to push this as the best option for there vans (well it seems that way when i bought my new van ) it seems to be a trust thing ?

any thoughts or i will go back in my box ?

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/feedback.aspx

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/contactus/
]

Go for it! its a scam that needs to be cleaned up!

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
Got a call from CIL today after sending them a note to confirm... And they simply confirmed the comments made here about thier cover for non solid walled vans and concluded by telling me i can cancell at anytime and will get a refund for any outstanding balance (paid in full upfront).

So where should i go is the question? The only two things i really want covered from atheft perspective is the tv and the bose soundlink portable speaker.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Got a call from CIL today after sending them a note to confirm... And they simply confirmed the comments made here about thier cover for non solid walled vans and concluded by telling me i can cancell at anytime and will get a refund for any outstanding balance (paid in full upfront).

So where should i go is the question? The only two things i really want covered from atheft perspective is the tv and the bose soundlink portable speaker.

Try RACV - They knew the answers to the "soft wall" questions very readily when we called them for a quote - I think they are onto this very issue!

Cheers,

Rohan

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au

Hi Zero If you have a house hold policy with AD you might find that those two items are covered under your home & contents if away from your home for less than a certain period of time also maybe the TV if mounted in the van as an accessory might not be classed as a content, I'm sticking with CIL as my home & contents policy will cover me for what the CIL one wont and the CIL one has a few good points like 2 year new for old replacement on Agreed Value, temporary accommodation,Electrical motor Burnout cover, cost of getting your van home if you are injured or Sick and a lifetime warranty on repairs organised by them. There are probably a few others that offer the same cover but my broker has advised me that aside from the soft wall issue they do have better all round policy. Best advice is grab a PDS from a few different Companies and compare to see what best suits what you want the policy to cover

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Has anyone actually gotten anything from RACV to confirm they will cover theft through the bedends. I have asked for it in writing and they only responded with a vague "refer to the PDS" - specifically the bit about not convered in floods and the like, or keeping it in good condition etc. Despite asking for clarification on a few occasions, they refuse to give a definite answer.
(Whereas AAMI replied straight away...)