Checked your ball weight lately

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Towball weight that is :biggrin1:

Anyway I borrowed a ball weight scale from a mate and decided to do so checks.

The van
Expanda 16-49-3 (shower/dunny) cafe dinette layout
Compliance plate ball weight 150kg

The Test
Empty tanks x 2, 2 x 9 kg gas bottles 1 full the other about 1/4 full, no food/drinks or cloths

1st weight 220 kg

2nd with contents of tunnel boot removed other that jack/handle/wheelbrace 190 kg

3rd fill the front tank, back to 200kg so adding 80 ltrs only adds 10kg to the ball weight (but 80kg to your overall ATM)

4th, filled rear tank, back to 190 kg, so this has now balanced the van, but added another 80 kg to the overall ATM
5 th Replace the contents of the tunnel boot back to smack bang on 220kg, so only 30 kg of boot contents HHHMMMM might have to weigh each item there.

So next weigh in will be in travel mode with food/drinks/cloths, I'll get back to you on that real soon though weekend are usually a bit lighter than full on holidays.

I have no idea what our actual ATM weight is in travel mode as I never seem to get near a weighbridge, I know we dont carry a lot of stuff but I may just get a shock:eek-53:
Compliance plate states 2079 kg so hopefully it's that or less.

Last edited:

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Funny you mention that. It came up at a recent 4Wd club meeting that I was at. And then the other day I was getting some work done on Toy80 and there were ball wait measuring thingys for sale. Didn't take any notice of the price. Thought "Oh that's nice but I dont really have a use for that." maybe I might need to rethink.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Ball weight before installing the rear wheel carrier bar: 240kg (?????) (only one gas tank in holders, empty water, no luggage and personals etc, just general items that live in there)
After installation: 185kg
(as guesstimated by Jayco upon leaving the factory - 183 kg)

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
So how to you measure it? Do you all have one of them fancy gadgets I saw?
I wouldn't think you would need to check it that often.
That fancy gadget I saw l looked like a stick with a plate on the bottom and weigh marks on the side. I presume the ball of the caravan would sit on it.
When I first saw it I wondered what it was for. You seriously don't want to know what past through my mind! :)

Reactions: hamish22

dakky68

Nov 19, 2013
Newcastle
That fancy gadget I saw l looked like a stick with a plate on the bottom and weigh marks on the side. I presume the ball of the caravan would sit on it.
When I first saw it I wondered what it was for. You seriously don't want to know what past through my mind! :)

Yep, that's them. Currently on sale here for $67.50 and postage is only $11 to my area. I think we might invest in one ourselves.

And yes, they do look rather... interesting... when you don't know what their purpose is!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
So how to you measure it? Do you all have one of them fancy gadgets I saw?
I wouldn't think you would need to check it that often.

cracked me up Stan,:lol:

I borrowed scale from a mate, but any good dealer should be able to weigh it for you when your pass if you dont want to buy one

Reactions: Stan53