14' Series Ceiling problem

Lucinda

Feb 1, 2016
Sydney
Has anyone seen a ceiling start to do this before (see pic)? We are the second owners of our 2012 14.44-4 Expanda and the roof seems to be cracking. It appears to be directly under one of the brackets of the solar panel. It appears to me like it's possibly stress cracks from the brackets being installed but I really don't know! I've been in touch with Jayco hoping they'd fix the problem as "good will" but it appears 50% off layout is the best we can get so we're looking at about $900 to fix . Just wondering if it's a common issue/known fault. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 382

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Never seen an issue like that before @Lucinda but being a 4 year old van and the second owner you are very lucky to get an offer of 50% off labour!!!!

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
@Smergen had a similar looking section in his roof on his expanda when he had it and it was due to a water leak. I think from the solar panel?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Thanks for the reference @17triton, certainly looks very very similar to the issues I had with mine.

IMG_3266.JPG IMG_3268.JPG IMG_3269.JPG

In the end it was found to be issues with poor sealant and mounting of the aerial and the solar panel. It also affected our interior light, which didn't work from the purchase date. Suffice to say I wasn't impressed, and perhaps (given my van was a 2012) we got the same bloke building our vans!

In the end, we got the aerial mounted on a metal plate and completely new mounted for panels. The interior lining was taken down and new surface put on. It was a painful process, but that was more through the service department than anything else. I hoped for "good will", and have had it happen before (wheels, roof lifters) but they didn't come to the party on this one.

All the best with getting yours resolved.